check the internet for closures...

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Latasian731
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

check the internet for closures...

Post by Latasian731 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:36 pm

Today I was walking back from my lunch and I was stopped by the lockers on Main St. in that allyway between Clothiers and the Market House. This couple proceeded to complain to me about all the closures in the park and recommended that they receive a discount since nothing they wanted to go on was open. The gentleman was severely upset that Space Mountain wasn't open and I told him it hasn't been open for almost 2 years. They were also upset that the castle was covered saying it was an eyesore and brought down the mood of the park. I told them that we are prepping for the "BIG" 50th anniversary and also some rides are closed for regular refurbishments. I told them if they ever want to book a vacation again to go to http://www.disneyland.com and it gives them a listing of all the closures in the park. The woman wanted me to do something for them but unfortunately I'm only a peon and can't do much. I referred them to City Hall. Suprisingly, I found out that they are annual passholders!! Which totally caught me by suprise. I would think that APs would know more about the closures than regualr guests.

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:54 pm

I posted a similar comment under another thread. People will complain to anyone who will listen in hopes of getting sympathy or something free. I've had people try everything to weasel their way into me letting them skip lines and what not. I used to be dissapointed when my marching band would go to Disneyland late January and Space would be down for referb, but we had all checked the website and knew, yes we were bumbed but we got over it and rode the matterhorn or thunder. If you come to Disneyland in the early fall expect everything to be closed, its when we refurb...

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

PoohBunniesHutch
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by PoohBunniesHutch » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:21 pm

I just can't help but feel disappointment for the guest who traveled from the ends of the earth, paid full price to get in and then NOTHING is open! And, it goes beyond checking the refurbishment schedule on the internet as not everybody has a computer or internet access, I know, I know if you are a drug dealer you've got your own wireless PDA, but if you are a blue collar worker, its a luxury, not a necessity. That on top of many companies require you to schedule your vacation in advance (one company I worked for required me to schedule a year in advance with 5 flex days that could be taken with 24 hour notice) and current refurb information may not be available at that time.

So, Joe and Dora Explorer book their Vakay last year and there are no scheduled refurbs, they cross the country in their trusty family wagon with 3 kids and one on the way searching for the holy grail known as Disneyland only to pay $47 bucks a pop for one park and everything is closed. Its no wonder they pull a clark griswold on the first available cast member.

I loved how Disneyland used to be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays for maintenance and refurbishment. That way, extensive, months long refurbishments weren't as necessary and when they did do them, it was done as quickly as possible with as little distraction to the show.

Unfortunately, to get Disneyland just back to speed (forget the 50th anniversary) extensive renovations must be performed and unfortunately the renovations are SO extensive that means that some bad show is going to happen.

And that is just a crying shame for Joe and Dora explorer.

And while its easy to see how they feel (I mean who wants to pay $47 for half of the park to be closed or for that matter to shop in a DCA mall) it still doesn't make it right for them to demand reparation for their loss.

As for AP holders, that's an even less reason for recompensation. Since we do pay a HUGE premium for a PAP, it is disappointing that the park isn't 100%. But, then, we don't pay 100% for admission. We already get a seriously discounted amount for our play time, why should they owe us anything more because of necessary refurbishments? After all its only practical.

Yes, I can't wait for everything to be done and for the Disneyland I love so to be back to speed, but even if it were, there is no way I could go on everyride ona single visit, even if I were healthy and mobile. So what your favorite rides aren't all open. Ride some new ones and make some new favorites, not a big deal.

I feel for you CMs, you've got a long road ahead of you. Just think of the compliments you are going to get when all is said and done and you'll remember those accolades for years longer than the complainers. I guarantee it!

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: check the internet for closures...

Post by GMC » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:54 am

Latasian731 wrote: Suprisingly, I found out that they are annual passholders!! Which totally caught me by suprise. I would think that APs would know more about the closures than regualr guests.
just because they have a pass doesn't bring them to the AP/ Passhole level, some passholders only use it five or six times a year, because it's cheaper than buying a ticket each time. when i had my pass, i rarely knew much about what was happening in the park, however i never really complained too much, i was just happy to ba able to go whenever i wanted, and on rainy days.

Gimme some soft serve!

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:59 am

I agree with both Poohbunny and GMC. But come on if you are going to go to Disneyland in the Fall or late Winter (after Christmas) common sense should prevail, when is Disney most likely to refurb most of its attractions? When the least number of guest would be impacted (hopefully).

The castle and tiki were a real bumber. The DLR Line mentioned the castle paint job was being done during this time cause they wanted to finish before it rained. (Makes sense) Tiki I heard the building was termite infested and needed work ASAP. As for Matterhorn? Its been open since 1959, it is over due for another one (if we fixed them right the frist time long closures would not be a problem). Mansion is an overlay install it will be open Friday (-happy dance-). Columbia (bless her) was LONG over due for work (has anyone gotten a close look at her hull?) Small world is going to go down for the overlay install. Mansion is supposed be down for 4 to 6 wks after holiday (they are SUPPOSED to fix ER1, the upramp and replace carpet and tiles) Splash has been rumored at 3 plus months in Feb. I thnk Jungle is supposed to go down too for a bit. Oh yeah and Steam Trains also.

These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

aliceindisguse
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by aliceindisguse » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:09 pm

The castle and tiki were a real bumber. The DLR Line mentioned the castle paint job was being done during this time cause they wanted to finish before it rained. (Makes sense) Tiki I heard the building was termite infested and needed work ASAP. As for Matterhorn? Its been open since 1959, it is over due for another one (if we fixed them right the frist time long closures would not be a problem). Mansion is an overlay install it will be open Friday (-happy dance-). Columbia (bless her) was LONG over due for work (has anyone gotten a close look at her hull?) Small world is going to go down for the overlay install. Mansion is supposed be down for 4 to 6 wks after holiday (they are SUPPOSED to fix ER1, the upramp and replace carpet and tiles) Splash has been rumored at 3 plus months in Feb. I thnk Jungle is supposed to go down too for a bit. Oh yeah and Steam Trains also.
Everything that didn't go down for refurb earlier this year will be going down some time soon. Kinda suck in Fantasyland right now with the Matterhorn down. Damn people with a million years of senority taking our hours. Oh and it's really gonna suck when small world closes for the holiday install. 2 major attractions down in one area is not such a good thing. I just can't wait till Nov when Matterhorn and Small World will be up and running and the castle will be all pretty.

How many in your group?
all of us.

Stay behind the yellow line

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:30 pm

Yeah Alice I know the feeling, with mansion being down this last month I was pulling a total of 4 hours a week! (things would have been better if columbia was running and we could do weekend fantasmics) But now that mansion comes up on friday I am getting hours again. Don't worry things will be good soon.

GMC
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GMC » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:18 pm

yeah advernturelnad hours are going to suck, steam trains, disney story(lincoln) and jungle are all going down about the same time, and we're dropping down to two vehicles. that's three high senority attractions that are going to be 10-7 for a while (there will be a whopping 3 people on vehicles) that's why i'm hoping to get thunder, because that's where the hours will more than likely be

Gimme some soft serve!