$400,000 in Diamonds

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

$400,000 in Diamonds

Post by Buggy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:26 am

Even I'm not this stupid...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/17/40 ... da-buffet/

(or that wealthy).

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: $400,000 in Diamonds

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:51 am

If I somehow had $400,000 in diamonds with me I wouldn't let that bag out of my sight! If I stopped to eat somewhere the farthest from me it would be is under the table with the straps wrapped around my legs and if I got up to go to the bathroom or something I would take the bag with me. The only way I'd leave it in my vehicle is if it was an armored car.

It was extremely stupid to leave a bag visible at all in the car, let alone one containing so much money in diamonds. The thief got a surprise I bet when he opened the bag. He was probably hoping to maybe get a laptop or something, not a whole bunch of diamonds.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:57 am

He was eating at a buffet? help me understand that. At least a nice sit down restaurant if you can have that much tied up in diamonds.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:20 am

Probably in the business and figured on a really low profile being the best security. Of course, leaving the bag on the seat might be a little *too* casual. :rolleyes:

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 am

There are suspicions that this is an insurance scam, of course.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 am

Buggy wrote:There are suspicions that this is an insurance scam, of course.
I wouldn't think it would be a very good one unless the person had some reason to be carrying the diamonds and had gotten an insurance rider. No way an insurance company would pay on a claim that "my car was broken into, and, oh, by the way, I had nearly half a million dollars of gems in the car. When will I get the check?"

Even with a rider, the insurance company might not pay due to the person not taking minimal and reasonable care.

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Buggy wrote:There are suspicions that this is an insurance scam, of course.
There are people in the wholesale gem business that regularly transport that kind of stash with them. There is an entire building of jewelry wholesalers and manufacturers next to one of our theatres. The older gents who come and go from there regularly move packets of gems worth in the millions, just in a plain briefcase. They are older men, from eastern Europe mainly. They buy their cigarettes and coffee where I buy my lottery tickets in the lobby of the building. For some reason they nearly always transport their inventory on their person, with no security. They just say that this is how its always been done, they guy in the shop asked them why they dont use an armoured car service, he was answered with a shrug. . I figure they must be armed, but you would never know it from seeing them in those long overcoats that they wear. They even import the gems, mainly from Belgium, in a briefcase that they carry on the plane. They must have nerves of steel.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Those guys have so much money that $400K is a rounding error.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Maybe they could round it on over to me once in a while.

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm

I experienced a mini version of this story once. I was working in a gift shop next to a ride, and some guy walks in and says "I left a bag full of pins in my stroller while I was on the ride, and now they are gone." oops. This is why you don't leave things in strollers or wheel chairs. You guys would be (or maybe not) surprised at how many expensive things people just leave laying around.