Where to Eat?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Where to Eat?

Post by Darksin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Well since we're pretty open to new types of food (even though I am one of the pickiest eaters on the planet) we've decided to try entirely NEW places at the Disney Parks this time around. With me it's pretty hard as I've eaten all over but my husband rarely has, the only single place you can't use within the parks is Liberty Tree Tavern. See, Normally we're the "grab a sandwich and go" types but we decided we're actually going to do adult type "Sit down" meals this time around.

So with that, I'm going to poll folks and find out your best opinions!
Without using the resort restaurants, only the four parks. Where would you eat lunch and dinner, at each park?

We never bother with breakfast except once during our stay for our anniversary, which goes to O'Hana each time because we love the Blue-Furred Menace.
:stitch:

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

KieranDotW
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Where to Eat?

Post by KieranDotW » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 pm

DHS - definitely 50's Prime Time or SciFi Dine In IMO. Great food even better atmosphere. It sounds cheesy but it's true, Disney's really gone above and beyond with these two. Possible my favorite places to eat dinner at WDW.

Epcot's a bit of a no-brainer. I usually just decide what I feel like and get it, seeing as I have access to virtually every cuisine. Don't fear the fast food either, it's great if different members of your party want to sample the World Showcase's offerings.

DAK I find closes too early for dinner, and I've usually done counter for lunch. Nothing spectacular. Might want to leave early and eat at DTD.

MK's by far the worst food in WDW. Never had a good meal there, and often there's too much to do to fit in table service. I guess I'm obliged to recommend Be Our Guest, even though I've never eaten there.

Hostess
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Hostess » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 pm

My personal suggestions...

Magic Kingdom - The Plaza Restaurant is small and bright. They don't have a lot on the menu but do offer several ice cream concoctions to make everyone happy.

Epcot - It just depends on your mood. I always say if you have Japanese hibachi restaurants at home, skip Teppan Edo. I had a wonderful experience at Marrakesh thanks to an awesome chef.

Hollywood Studios - For higher quality food, the Brown Derby. For atmosphere, Sci-Fi or 50's Prime Time.

Animal Kingdom - I've only tried Yak & Yeti. My dietary restrictions prevent me from eating much of anything in that park.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Lunch and dinner recommendations at each WDW theme park (excepting Liberty Tree Tavern):

Magic Kingdom Lunch: Tony's Town Square
Magic Kingdom Dinner: Crystal Palace
Honorable Mention: The Plaza for lunch

Epcot Lunch: Coral Reef
Epcot Dinner: Le Cellier
Honorable Mention Hacienda de San Angel

Studios Lunch: Mama Melrose
Studios Dinner: Brown Derby
Honorable Mention: 50s Prime Time Cafe

Animal Kingdom Lunch: Yak and Yeti
Animal Kingdom Dinner: Tusker House
Honorable Mention: none, only two table service locations in this park

All of these could be swapped, lunch for dinner.

Zazu

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 am

My wife and I love Restaurant Marrakesh (Morrocco) in EPCOT and it has the benefit of being very accessible as a walk since it rarely has large crowds. The Tangerine Cafe is also a favorite for counter service.

I would add my vote to the Brown Derby in HS.

Not a lot of full service choices at DAK, but I would agree with Zazu's suggestions. As an alternative, though, we often leave the park and take the very short bus ride to AKL where three of our favorite eateries reside. Jiko when we want to go all out. Sanaa is probably our favorite, though. We reserve Boma for when we are *really* hungry. Boma is also our favorite non-character breakfast buffet.

For other hotel-based restaurants, Artist's Point is a definite favorite.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:07 am

Darksin wrote:We never bother with breakfast except once during our stay for our anniversary, which goes to O'Hana each time because we love the Blue-Furred Menace.
:stitch:
Ohana?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:39 am

Being from Utah, we don't get to WDW too often. We have decided that one of the funnest things we do is use the dining plan and eat at fun places. My wife is one of the most amazing chefs I've ever met and so food is something fun we do. We tried to find places to eat that would serve food we don't normally eat. Here is the run down of the places we have liked. Keep in mind, I travel with kids, so some of these places were geared around that, but they were still fun. We are such tourists.

Cinderella's Royal Table-fantastic food and atmosphere, pricey, a little rushed, but totally worth it.
Akershus-great food, fun, not as rushed
50's Prime Time-a must, food is good, overall experience was one of the best
Tusker House-good food, fun atmosphere
The Wave in Comtemporary-not technically in the park, but close enough-great food, felt like we were on TV it was so nice
Coral Reef-great food, nice environment, different than anything we have in Utah, that's for sure
Yak & Yeti-great food, neat place to look around, great service (they did some fun things for our kids)
Sci-Fi Drive In-good food, better atmosphere, Disney overall attention to detail at its best

We have eaten at Crystal Palace. It was just ok. Pretty cool inside. We have also done the 1900 Park Faire. That was pretty cool, but just buffet food that we weren't too impressed with. The buffet food at Tusker House was better. We aren't much of a buffet family.

This amy or may not help, but it was fun for us and I would recommend most all of these places to anyone who asked.

KieranDotW
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by KieranDotW » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Zazu wrote:Animal Kingdom Lunch: Yak and Yeti
Animal Kingdom Dinner: Tusker House
Honorable Mention: none, only two table service locations in this park
Rainforest? Not that it's anything special for Disney...

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 pm

KieranDotW wrote:Rainforest? Not that it's anything special for Disney...
Not technically *inside* the theme park, but just *outside* the turnstiles. I thus thought it ineligible under the terms given.

Probably wouldn't have listed it anyway. Too noisy. I will eat breakfast there though; like the breakfast pizza.

Zazu

Widget
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Widget » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Every trip we try to eat at one or two restaurants we have never tried before. Trouble is we have so many favorites that we hate to not eat at them. Anyway the ones that are a must eat are:

50's Prime Time Cafe
Le Cellier
Restaurant Marrakesh

For the resorts:
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Artist Point
Boma (absolute favorite)

Have also tried and enjoyed:
'Ohana
Yachtsman Steakhouse
California Grill
San Angel Inn
Rose and Crown
Chefs de France
Akershus

Have never done much at MK except for counter service and turkey legs. Same for AK.