New Gate free turnstiles

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: New Gate free turnstiles

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 am

drcorey wrote:I survived the mayan apocolypse
I'm worried about Mauna Kahalawai reawakening.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I have a question - could you inadvertently purchase something by standing too close to some check out type location? Or could some theif have a reader of some sort and scan the information off the chip and be able to clone it and purchase stuff? I know this sounds stupid, but it's sort of my fear.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 pm

hobie16 wrote:I'm worried about Mauna Kahalawai reawakening.
just be really quiet when you go by her.

Corey

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:50 pm

GaTechGal wrote:I have a question - could you inadvertently purchase something by standing too close to some check out type location? Or could some theif have a reader of some sort and scan the information off the chip and be able to clone it and purchase stuff? I know this sounds stupid, but it's sort of my fear.
Those have been fears people have been having about RFIDs in credit cards since some card companies started putting them in. I don't know all the explanations about why RFID CCs are supposedly safe and don't feel like Googling right now but I do know that as they have to be read close up which makes it harder for a thief to scan the chip. There are also wallets available now that block the RFID signal, making it impossible to scan the chip.

Personally I'm fine with RFIDs as a whole but not in credit cards. When I worked at Disney I had a bunch of RFIDs on me, my ID had one as well as every piece of my costume. I liked the RFID in my ID, it made it easy to get into work and the RFIDs in my costume made it faster and easier to check out and return pieces, though more than once I inadvertently returned a piece or checked out a piece I already had as I was wearing it and got to close to the reader. I also have an RFID in my car, in my SunPass transponder. I love that thing, I can just cruise down the tollway without having to slow down or stop to pay the tolls. There's just to much risk IMO with having and RFID in your CC.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Think about all the RF radiation you're getting hit with to read all the chips. Add in microwave radio, cell phones and cell towers, high voltage power lines, and what's left of AM radio, and your hair will start to curl all by itself.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:39 pm

hobie16 wrote:Think about all the RF radiation you're getting hit with to read all the chips. Add in microwave radio, cell phones and cell towers, high voltage power lines, and what's left of AM radio, and your hair will start to curl all by itself.
I was thinking about this too. And what about living in a house or working in the parks with wifi? I have to wonder if all these radio waves are effecting us slowly over time. I know the response will be "it's so low that it doesn't harm you" but I believe that as much as switching to Geico actually saves you money (I don't believe Geico saves you money).

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:32 pm

hobie16 wrote:Think about all the RF radiation you're getting hit with to read all the chips. Add in microwave radio, cell phones and cell towers, high voltage power lines, and what's left of AM radio, and your hair will start to curl all by itself.
5th Dimension wrote:I was thinking about this too. And what about living in a house or working in the parks with wifi? I have to wonder if all these radio waves are effecting us slowly over time. I know the response will be "it's so low that it doesn't harm you" but I believe that as much as switching to Geico actually saves you money (I don't believe Geico saves you money).
Not to mention something I read a few years ago, (it might have been on the internet and you know they can't lie on the internet) that every radio wave ever put into the atmosphere is still circulating around somewhere. A few more from wifi is not going to make much of a difference. But more importantly are you saying that that cute little gecko is not being honest? Say it ain't so!

:goofy: :goofy:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:00 pm

5th Dimension wrote:I was thinking about this too. And what about living in a house or working in the parks with wifi? I have to wonder if all these radio waves are effecting us slowly over time. I know the response will be "it's so low that it doesn't harm you" but I believe that as much as switching to Geico actually saves you money (I don't believe Geico saves you money).
And once you've come to terms with the various types of RF banging into your body you can think about lead.

Prenatal lead exposure linked to schizophrenia

America's Real Criminal Element: Lead

So Nevin dove in further, digging up detailed data on lead emissions and crime rates to see if the similarity of the curves was as good as it seemed. It turned out to be even better: In a 2000 paper (PDF) he concluded that if you add a lag time of 23 years, lead emissions from automobiles explain 90 percent of the variation in violent crime in America. Toddlers who ingested high levels of lead in the '40s and '50s really were more likely to become violent criminals in the '60s, '70s, and '80s.

And with that we have our molecule: tetraethyl lead, the gasoline additive invented by General Motors in the 1920s to prevent knocking and pinging in high-performance engines. As auto sales boomed after World War II, and drivers in powerful new cars increasingly asked service station attendants to "fill 'er up with ethyl," they were unwittingly creating a crime wave two decades later.

Get the lead out and I'm not talking about Led Zeppelin.

--- Matt King

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Mom used Mercury Insurance on her car; notice how you hardly ever see Mercury being compared to others on those T.V. ads? They are the lowest--and it helps if you have a car that's cheap to insure to begin with, among other factors.

BriDon51
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by BriDon51 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:59 pm

I am with Geico and adding a newer car and deleting a car my quote was $478 fro 6 months.

I prices=d Allstate, esurance and State Farm all their prices were close to $750 for same coverage.

so.... in my case Geico saves me money