Is chivalry really dead?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
TdcOgre
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Is chivalry really dead?

Post by TdcOgre » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:28 pm

hobie16 wrote:That pisses me off too. When I go through a door I push it open all the way. I look at it a some cheap exercise. If someone is behind me I'll hold it open even if it means waiting a few seconds.

I was walking up to a door behind what turned out to be a snot nose kid. He held the door open for me and said, "Age before beauty."

I walked through the open door and replied, "Pearls before swine."
Plagiarism!!!!! I've been using that line for 30+ years. I demand royalties. :)

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:20 am

GaTechGal wrote:All I can add is we're Southern. Manners are not an option. It's instilled in you at such a young age that it's almost involuntary. You don't like my being polite? Tough. But if I offer you my seat and you refuse in a hostile manner, YOU are the one that ends up looking like an ass.
Of course, I've seen a number of cases where a Southerner seemed to have learned the trappings of politeness, but missed the underlying concept. Not in any way implying that is true of anyone here, or that it is even a majority of the people I've met. Just saying that I think true politeness is an option, and a gruff Northerner can show more human compasion than a rude SOutherner who knows all the right words to cut you down, but leave you without a specific complaint. Mind you, I think you stand a much better chance of ingraining the true sentiment if you start with the words and gestures.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:39 am

WEDFan wrote:Of course, I've seen a number of cases where a Southerner seemed to have learned the trappings of politeness, but missed the underlying concept. Not in any way implying that is true of anyone here, or that it is even a majority of the people I've met. Just saying that I think true politeness is an option, and a gruff Northerner can show more human compasion than a rude SOutherner who knows all the right words to cut you down, but leave you without a specific complaint. Mind you, I think you stand a much better chance of ingraining the true sentiment if you start with the words and gestures.
Well, bless your heart! :)

:goofy: :goofy:

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:16 am

Goofyernmost wrote:Well, bless your heart! :)
Awesome!!!!!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 am

Goofyernmost wrote:Well, bless your heart! :)
GaTechGal wrote:Awesome!!!!!
Why do I suddenly feel publicly humilatiated, but can't figure out why????

;)

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:47 am

WEDFan wrote:Why do I suddenly feel publicly humilatiated, but can't figure out why????

;)
I'm sure it's just your imagination! :D:

:goofy: :goofy:

cicatrizing
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by cicatrizing » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Hey now, I'm perfectly fine having to stand up on a bus if I got equal pay.

don't take me wrong, I am a huge advocate of courtesy! I think you should hold the door open for the person behind you regardless of gender, give your seat up to people that need it more than you (the elderly, pregnant women, etc), and just being nice to people. courtesy should just be that simple - treat people like you want to be treated. don't be an asshole. that's all there is to it.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:18 am

Ahh the good southern "Bless their heart". As soon as you hear that phrase you know one of two things!
1. Your about to hear Gossip
2. Something insulting is coming.

I enjoy saying that up north, no one seems to understand what's coming! ;)

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!