Is chivalry really dead?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Is chivalry really dead?

Post by 5th Dimension » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:The one thing that changed all that was the woman's movement. Before I get shot, I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with women striving for equality, that's a given! However, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If woman rightfully feel that there should be equality of the sexes, then I am left wondering why one would then turn around and expect "special" treatment due to their gender.

Give me one specific reason why a woman cannot standup on a bus as well as a man.* Basically, as far as I have been able to tell over my last 64 years, woman are as strong, have more endurance and generally are more physically fit then their male counterparts. So, why wouldn't a woman get up from her seat to let a man sit down? What would be the actual difference?

People holding a small child, male or female, might warrant the giving of a seat, but otherwise, there is no longer a specific reason for doing so. Age and disability also play a factor, but, not in any gender related way. Chivalry stemmed from a time when women were considered weak, unable to care for themselves and needed to be protected. I'm afraid that ship has sailed and with it a lot of old fashioned, degrading baggage. I'm sure it was nice to be "pampered" but in this life, you really cannot have everything. If you want a seat, then you must get on first, that's the new way of the world. Chivalry carried with it a number of perks directed at one gender. Chivalry also carried with it a number of demeaning and degrading attitudes. I would think that equality is a much better thing.

*The same would apply to why it is more difficult for a woman to put a toilet seat down as it is for a man to put it up? And do women, when leaving the bathroom put the seat back up to ease the burden of the man? But that's another thread, in another place, at another time!
You put into words what I was thinking about the whole situation. When I go to the parks, not being the most physically fit, getting a seat on the monorail or bus is very helpful. As for the whole toilet thing, EXACTLY!
DisneyMom wrote:Chivalry? I'd settle for people not so anxious to push thru a packed crowd at the Castle Lighting to not physically attack.....One Person thought that pushing thru with a stroller was going to happen until I reminded him he was now on top of my ankle,another person -a woman apparently-clawed her nails into my back as we were slowly shuffling away. There was no prior contact with these people in case anyone was wondering,they were just people who thought their rights somehow superceded all others and I happened to be in their way. :eek: Lesson Learned, I'm not going to ever get myself packed in anymore.
You should try going early to a cast preview for a parade in the MK. The CPs are insane. They push and shove at West Clock to get on the bus, they'll open gates when a CM is trying to count heads, causing a flood of people to go through the gate too early, all kinds of pushing and rude behavior. I'll never go early again. Or at a ride preview, they'll scream and yell just as bad as the worst cheerleaders or tour groups. They'll stomp, scream and swear in the ride vehicle. Some of the most annoying behavior I've ever seen. It's worse than just about anything I've witnessed during public events (and I remember leaving the MK on the 40th, and how hellish that was).

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:26 pm

I consider myself a decent and respectful person. I am a Southerner, CM and a Eagle Scout. I do not think it can get any more gentile then that. I still open doors for all sexes and I say my please and Thank yous.

HOWEVER, I would never give up my seat for someone just because they are a woman. I live in the 21st century and woman are not some weak sex made of delicate china who needs to be worshiped like some goddess and put on a pedestal to have rose pedals thrown are feet. That is ridiculous.

Last time I heard we are all equals.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:13 pm

5th Dimension wrote:You put into words what I was thinking about the whole situation. When I go to the parks, not being the most physically fit, getting a seat on the monorail or bus is very helpful. As for the whole toilet thing, EXACTLY!
Funny because of this thread my daughter and I got into a discussion about that topic. She told me, very strongly, that if a woman sits on the toilet when the seat is up she will fall in, whereas we would just pee on the seat if we didn't raise it up. I told her that if the alternative to checking to make sure the seat is down is a wet butt, perhaps she should remember to look. I know I would! In fact, we do every time we have an occasion to sit. I guess it's easier for men to remember important stuff like that. :o: ;)

But it does seem that this thread has wandered way off topic and now is pretty much in the toilet. :cool:

:goofy: :goofy:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Observed on a NY subway car. Man sitting, woman standing and glaring at him. Man says, "Lady, chivalry isn't dead, I am."

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:25 am

Goofyernmost wrote:While I certainly can understand your feeling that way, I can't help but think that they just won. I know it's difficult but when someone stands their ground and doesn't allow bully's to get what they want it goes a long way towards introducing reality into their sorry little lives. However, like I said, I certainly understand why you wouldn't want to experience it again.

I wish Disney could get the message that if they don't start making an attempt to stop that kind of behavior, it will, in the long run, cost them dearly.
Eh, They won nothing. I/they didn't move one bit faster. There will be plenty of other people to assault. Someday they'll do it to the wrong person :twisted:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:41 am

DisneyMom wrote:Eh, They won nothing. I/they didn't move one bit faster. There will be plenty of other people to assault. Someday they'll do it to the wrong person :twisted:
I apologize, I didn't mean that I thought that they got past you, I was referring to the general concept of bullying. You held your ground but then stated that you were not going to put yourself in that position again. That fine and quite understandable, but overall it becomes a situation where more and more people take that route instead of standing their ground and realizing that it's the bully that is doing wrong here, not the public on which it prays.

I agree that it is a dangerous world, but it is far less dangerous in a protected environment like a Disney park. All kinds of witnesses and nothing really to be gained by continuing stupid behavior. They create a scene, sure, but if people took a united stance it would stop really quick, if not and Disney was a little more diligent, they would soon find themselves on the outside looking in. Then becoming a SG, in this sense, would no longer be productive and the theory of "conditioned response" would set in. JMHO!

:goofy: :goofy:

Mikey
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:20 pm

I recently head a good quote....

Is Chivalry dead? No, it just went wherever 'being ladylike' went.

Michael

EpcotFan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EpcotFan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:41 pm

OK, from my personal perspective, I have rather bad feet. I have to use some rather pricey orthotics and replace shoes much more frequently than the general wear would indicate just because the cushioning properties wear out. By the time I hit the end of the day at a theme park, my feet are definitely in pain despite the above measures. If I can grab a seat on a bus or monorail, I'm going to keep it unless I see someone in worse shape than me get aboard (i.e. using a cane, a walker, or crutches). I'm not willing to subject myself to even more pain bus surfing if I don't have to just so an able bodied woman can sit down. (But I'll still hold the door for her :) )

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:03 pm

I'd just be happy if common courtesy was brought back.

Just the little things, Like saying "Please".."Thank You" and the long forgotten "Excuse Me" and even MORE rare "I'm Sorry". Maybe holding a door rather then just letting it nearly slam into someone (gender doesn't matter).

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Move to Orange, CA--they have the nicest, most polite people I've ever met. Usually if you run into someone who is rude, they're from elsewhere. And if you love antiques, it's the antique capitol of the world.