Wondering about Disney Cruises

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Wondering about Disney Cruises

Post by WEDFan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:35 am

I know there are fans of DCL here abouts, and I was wondering if anyone would like to share some thoughts about the cruise experience.

Basically, I periodically think my wife and I should try a cruise, but then I wonder if it's right for us. Here's some background. We love Disney and the ocean, but our vacation style is rather active. We're not big on the whole relaxing thing. :D: Pools and beaches aren't high on our priority list. Part of what we like about Disney is walking around, taking in the sights and details, being entertained, etc. We also love the varied dining experiences, but we're not big on dressing for dinner. We like the fact that you can do four star dining at WDW in shorts and a collared shirt.

Now, I know cruises are known for there food and that there are a lot of entertainment options available on board. I also like the idea of these large floating communities.

So, does anyone have any thoughts, comments or advice?

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Wondering about Disney Cruises

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:48 pm

I've never been on a cruise but I've heard a lot of good things about Disney Cruises. Zazu has been on at least a few and will be around sometime and may post something. There used to be a poster (shamefully I can't recall her name) on here that's been on more Disney Cruises than I can count but she hasn't been around in quite some time. She loved pretty much everything about them.

I've talked to quite a few people who have been on Disney Cruises and they all had a good time.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:13 pm

WED, thank you for asking that question. We are the same. We've never been on a cruise but I have looked at and priced the Disney Cruises. Lately our thing has been hiking, mostly in Florida and occasionally out of state. I know we need to get our passports before we cruise and I've procrastinated getting them. My husband won't leave me alone long enough to read a book on vacation and likes to do something every day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Shorty82 wrote:I've never been on a cruise but I've heard a lot of good things about Disney Cruises. Zazu has been on at least a few and will be around sometime and may post something. There used to be a poster (shamefully I can't recall her name) on here that's been on more Disney Cruises than I can count but she hasn't been around in quite some time. She loved pretty much everything about them.

I've talked to quite a few people who have been on Disney Cruises and they all had a good time.
Her name is/was Syndrome. (or how ever it's spelled) :confused:
The baker has been on a cruise,,,(she loved it).......I'm not sure I could put up with being stuck on a ship with 5000 other people.
At least goin to Disneyland I can sneak away for some peace and quiet.......(and a cold one ;) )

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:24 pm

darph nader wrote:I'm not sure I could put up with being stuck on a ship with 5000 other people.
Never leave the gerbil tubes. :cool:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:35 pm

hobie16 wrote:Never leave the gerbil tubes. :cool:
Open bar,or BYOB only. :cool:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Okay then, since Syndrome isn't speaking up, I guess that leaves me as the senior cruiser here with 17 on Disney and more on other lines.

If you want an active vacation, look carefully at the shore excursions offered. Some ports have hiking, jogging, wakeboarding, rock climbing, kayak/walk/bicycle trips and more.

Want to eat in a polo shirt and shorts? You can probably get away with it in the main dining rooms (after all, it's really hard to be the worst-dressed guest at Disney). You can certainly do so at the top-deck buffets, quick service, and room service (all of which are free). The only place I've seen guests turned away are Palo and Remy.

Want to avoid the crowds? Not hard. The kids are all on deck 5 at the clubs and the pools. Still too many? The Cove on the top deck is adults-only, as is the nightclub district after 9pm. I've seen a ship's officer threaten some 16-year-olds with spending the rest of their cruise locked in their cabin if they were caught in the adults area agan, so Disney means it.

Entertainment? Hello, it's Disney, okay? 'Nuff said.

As for specific advice:

1. Apply for your passport now. Go for the real one, not the cheap border card, as that won't work. The process is easy, but takes longer than you'd think.

2. Buy a guidebook. Naturally, I prefer the "PassPorter Guide to the Disney Cruise Line and its Ports of Call" since I'm the senior technical editor. The only other is Disney's official guide, which is a fraction of the size.

3. Visit <http://castawayclub.com>. They list the "Personal Navigators" for various cruises so you can see brief descriptions of the shows, activities, and ports.

4. Go! If you're unsure, book a 3- or 4-night cruise, but those don't usually go very interesting places. I consider 7 nights a reasonable minimum; anything less I can't work up the enthusiasm to unpack.

5. Bring friends. Family if you must, but only if you like each other. If you know any Cast Members (and you all do), ask if they're planning on a cruise -- you may be able to go with them at a reduced rate.

Any other questions?

Zazu

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:32 am

Zazu covered it all ! We have been on three DCL cruises, and number 4 is coming in January. Once you do one, you will be hooked. The level of service is simply unparalleled at the land based resorts. (unless you are dealing with a certain concierge at the big toaster)

Tons of stuff to do on board, the issue becomes making up your mind as to what you want to do.
When booking, it seems that the earlier the better is the way to go to save money. At least until last minute (under 75 days) when they start releasing the GTY rates, which guarantee you a level of cabin (inside, oceanview, or balcony) but don't let you choose a specific cabin or deck. Of course those cast member rates will be even better....

Don't worry about tons of kids. Most cruisers who sail other lines as well find that they see far fewer kids on DCL, because the kids are always engaged in doing things, not roaming the ship looking for something to do. Even the teens get their own private club to hang out in.
The crowds seem only noticeable during the sail away party, and the Pirate party, when every one wants to be on the pool deck. Go up one level, where you can still see, and no crowds!
The adult pool is never crowded. the family pools do get crowded at certain times, but you just retreat to Quiet Cove and the sanity of the adult area and its uncrowded pool.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks, Zazu. Lots of great information there. I did pull a Homer Simpson moment, though, when I saw your advice about the Passporter. It's been so long since we purchased a guide book for our Disney vacations that I didn't even think about that. "D'oh!"

I do regret that trying to find family we'd enjoy vacationing with likely be no more successful than Diogenes was with his lamp. Friends are possible, but none have expressed a desire to cruise. We'll have to see.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:01 am

Another three-time Disney cruiser here -- though I'm a much more sedate vacationer, going for quiet and relaxation over energetic activity. But I've traveled with that type, and DCL is masterful at providing the opportunities for all ages and types of people. Whatever you enjoy (within Disney's image, of course), you can find.

I know this doesn't add much to what Zazu and delsdad already posted, but I needed an excuse to post this picture again:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter