Story about people going behind the scenes

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Story about people going behind the scenes

Post by hobie16 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Six hour wait to vote?! That's insane, I'm willing to bet overall voter turnout in your area was low with many just giving up and leaving or not having time to vote.
Oahu had a lot of walk offs when a number of polling places ran out of paper ballots. Pretty sad.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Tiny Tim
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Tiny Tim » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Six hour wait to vote?! That's insane, I'm willing to bet overall voter turnout in your area was low with many just giving up and leaving or not having time to vote.
We had one of the largest turn outs in fl. Early voteing had up to a 4 hour wait. It was just a mess as the counties north and south of us had 30 min waits at the most. The super of elections screwed up royally.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:40 pm

Tiny Tim wrote:The super of elections screwed up royally.
Don't use the past tense yet -- we still don't know who won the election in Florida!

Zazu

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Unfortunately, Fox announced that Florida went to Obama about 9 hours ago. I'm not making a political comment though.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:48 pm

YANXWIN wrote:Unfortunately, Fox announced that Florida went to Obama about 9 hours ago. I'm not making a political comment though.
That explains why I missed it. I was busy attending the retirement announcement of Yoshi.

Yes, after twenty years in charge of the sushi bar at California Grill (and most other sushi sources at WDW), Yoshi is going to retire when CG closes in January or February for their 8-mont rehab.

The spicy crab rolls won't be the same without her!

:enchilad:

Zazu

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Zazu wrote:That explains why I missed it. I was busy attending the retirement announcement of Yoshi.

Yes, after twenty years in charge of the sushi bar at California Grill (and most other sushi sources at WDW), Yoshi is going to retire when CG closes in January or February for their 8-mont rehab.

The spicy crab rolls won't be the same without her!

:enchilad:
Has there been any word on whether this is simply a refresh or if they are making any significant changes?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:15 pm

YANXWIN wrote:Unfortunately, Fox announced that Florida went to Obama about 9 hours ago. I'm not making a political comment though.
Who cares? Florida had no impact on the Presidential election either way.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:16 pm

WEDFan wrote:Has there been any word on whether this is simply a refresh or if they are making any significant changes?
The California Grill suffers from being in a 41-year-old experimental building, and from having more and more tables added while the kitchen remained the same size. The plan is to fix both problems, plus a general rennovation. That's why it's expected to take 8 months. Oh, and our elevators are being rehabbed as well, so anything large (or large quantities of small stuff) will have to go up to the 15th floor (or down) by crane or helicopter.

It's expected that the kitchen will be reorganized and expanded, and the seating areas rearranged. Now that check-in is downstairs, I expect the 15th floor check-in area will be reduced in size. It's also likely that the wine cellar will be moved to the 14th floor to make more room.

We'll see a complete replacement of both storm and sanitary drains, water supply, and air handling equipment. We may also see expansion of some of the culinary equipment, or perhaps just set up a permanent area downstairs for the prep work (where some is happening now).

My personal hope is that we'll see less tile and more carpet in an effort to reduce the noise level, and perhaps the addition of a dedicated waiting area where those awaiting tables aren't looming over other diners.

Part of me wants to see the windows painted over, or at least automatic blinds that close during fireworks, so that only those who come for the food will take up space, but I suppose that's not in the cards. Neither is SWMBO's idea of barring children under 10 one night every month (in each signature restaurant).

It is my understanding that the private rooms (which technically belong to Convention Activities) will remain as they are, and not be made available for additional seating when not in use.

One additional note: at the Food & Wine Festival, it was announced that a new, small restaurant would be opening at the Contemporary during the CG's closure. It's expected to be tiny, seating only 14 to 20 diners, and will probably have a fixed menu. The theory is that "Deluxe Resorts" must have signature dining. The spot has a working title of "Chef's Table", but as Victoria & Alberts already has such a name, I expect that will not be the name used. Please note that despite the announcement, I have been completely unable to confirm any of this with Contemporary management.

Zazu

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:48 am

Zazu wrote:The California Grill suffers from being in a 41-year-old experimental building, and from having more and more tables added while the kitchen remained the same size. The plan is to fix both problems, plus a general rennovation. That's why it's expected to take 8 months. Oh, and our elevators are being rehabbed as well, so anything large (or large quantities of small stuff) will have to go up to the 15th floor (or down) by crane or helicopter.

It's expected that the kitchen will be reorganized and expanded, and the seating areas rearranged. Now that check-in is downstairs, I expect the 15th floor check-in area will be reduced in size. It's also likely that the wine cellar will be moved to the 14th floor to make more room.

We'll see a complete replacement of both storm and sanitary drains, water supply, and air handling equipment. We may also see expansion of some of the culinary equipment, or perhaps just set up a permanent area downstairs for the prep work (where some is happening now).

My personal hope is that we'll see less tile and more carpet in an effort to reduce the noise level, and perhaps the addition of a dedicated waiting area where those awaiting tables aren't looming over other diners.

Part of me wants to see the windows painted over, or at least automatic blinds that close during fireworks, so that only those who come for the food will take up space, but I suppose that's not in the cards. Neither is SWMBO's idea of barring children under 10 one night every month (in each signature restaurant).

It is my understanding that the private rooms (which technically belong to Convention Activities) will remain as they are, and not be made available for additional seating when not in use.

One additional note: at the Food & Wine Festival, it was announced that a new, small restaurant would be opening at the Contemporary during the CG's closure. It's expected to be tiny, seating only 14 to 20 diners, and will probably have a fixed menu. The theory is that "Deluxe Resorts" must have signature dining. The spot has a working title of "Chef's Table", but as Victoria & Alberts already has such a name, I expect that will not be the name used. Please note that despite the announcement, I have been completely unable to confirm any of this with Contemporary management.
Maybe they can get chef remy to come over from his place on the east coast to help set it up.

Corey

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:52 am

As always, Zazu, thanks for the great information. I was actually wondering about the noise level, and I share your hope that they will turn it down a bit. That was always my big complaint about the California Grill. I tend to lose conversation in background noise. Probably a result of the concerts I worked in my youth when ear protection was for wimps. As much as I may like a dining experience, I avoid going back to restaurants that are too noisy since the companionship and conversation is just as important as the food.