New American Adventure Costumes

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: New American Adventure Costumes

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:22 pm

felinefan wrote:Okay, they look like they would be more comfortable than a traditional Colonial costume
You would think. As far as the cartoon hands, those are Mickey gloves. I would have no problem with them, except that after someone else has worn them on a hot summer day... Well, use your imagination.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:37 am

Big Wallaby wrote:You would think. As far as the cartoon hands, those are Mickey gloves. I would have no problem with them, except that after someone else has worn them on a hot summer day... Well, use your imagination.
I understand that the new costumes for AA may be a big change for the frequent guests. Or even cast members.

I think that once again some idiot in Costuming out of Anaheim just does not understand how flipping hot it gets here in Florida.

However, with that said, unless you have something positive to say to the AA cast about their new costume look, keep your mouth shut. These cast members have to wear them every day from now on, they have no choice. There is no sense of you sharing your negative view of what they have to deal with every day.

I do encourage you to register your view with Guest Relations or Disney Corporate.

mapo

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:You would think. As far as the cartoon hands, those are Mickey gloves. I would have no problem with them, except that after someone else has worn them on a hot summer day... Well, use your imagination.
I was going to say Mickey gloves, but somehow it didn't get to the keyboard. I do janitorial at my church two days a week, and I use gloves when doing the bathrooms. Also have a pair for the kitchen, but I keep forgetting to use them. The bathroom gloves are marked "R" and the kitchen ones with "K"; let me tell you, those gloves STINK after using them. I tried turning them inside out to air out and hopefully destinkify them, but no dice. They're regular rubber gloves, but yeah, I bet the Mickey gloves can do a number on your hands in a hot, humid climate after awhile.

Last weekend a few ladies from my church and I went to Rancho Mirage for a women's retreat, and it was so quiet, dry heat--triple digit temps, single or low double digit humidity--and all around nice and peaceful; I got some personal issues worked out as well. In a word, I had a great time. They'll be offering the audios of the sessions in a week or two, along with photos. So glad I went!

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:11 pm

mapo wrote:I understand that the new costumes for AA may be a big change for the frequent guests. Or even cast members.

I think that once again some idiot in Costuming out of Anaheim just does not understand how flipping hot it gets here in Florida.

However, with that said, unless you have something positive to say to the AA cast about their new costume look, keep your mouth shut. These cast members have to wear them every day from now on, they have no choice. There is no sense of you sharing your negative view of what they have to deal with every day.

I do encourage you to register your view with Guest Relations or Disney Corporate.

mapo
so...we can't SAY anything? wow very harsh rules that disney is coming up with! :pirate2:

they look fine,

were fine, we are all fine here,

how are you?

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Just curious...why would a CM take it personally if I were to say that I didn't really like the new uniform? They didn't design it. They didn't choose to wear it. Why would it matter a tinkers damn if the public told them it wasn't exactly what we like? At least then they could go back to their managers and say..."Hey, man (or woman, if applicable) did we ever hear that people are not liking this." Wouldn't that be helpful and not degrading to a CM? Unless, of course, they think it's wonderful, in which case I would have to say, Yup, it's fine, but I don't think it fits the location.

BTW, I don't necessarily think that. To be honest, it is so far down on my care list that I can't even see it from up here. But I am curious. :D:

:goofy: :goofy:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:24 am

Goofyernmost wrote:...Then I got to thinking, America is more than just one era or place in time. The pavilion itself reflects history and a sense of beginning, but we are more than just our past, we are also our present...
True, but but anchoring to a particular time or image seems stronger than something that tries to represent all by being none. Plus, as I pointed out earlier, I'm partial to the Colonial and Revolutionary periods, so there you go. :D:
felinefan wrote:Okay, they look like they would be more comfortable than a traditional Colonial costume...
Actually, it all depends on how the various costumes are made and fitted. I own outfits from made from patterns dating back to the late 1700's and they are comfortable. Of course, two layers of linen and one of wool (two in some places) in the summer can be challenging. :boil:
mapo wrote:...However, with that said, unless you have something positive to say to the AA cast about their new costume look, keep your mouth shut. These cast members have to wear them every day from now on, they have no choice. There is no sense of you sharing your negative view of what they have to deal with every day...
Hi, Mapo, good to see you posting, again. Are the cast members catching a lot of flack for this? Much as I prefer the old, I can't see the point in giving the CMs crap about it. It's not their choice. Still, is it bad enough that you can't even try to sympathize with them?

Swordfish Flotilla
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Swordfish Flotilla » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:35 am

I saw the new costumes Saturday and the CM's looked very sharp and professional in them. I liked the look. :thumbup:

By the way, Happy 30th Anniversary, EPCOT

:bigcake:

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:03 pm

While the new outfits do look comfortable and functional, I feel they look a bit..."amusement park generic". It isn't that they look bad, just uninspired, and uninspiring. If the cast themselves likes them, well, they are the ones who are wearing them, and they have a better right to pick their outfits than I do.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:38 pm

mapo, I absolutely agree, and here's why. So many guests don't know how to put something like that nicely. There's no good way to pull out of the CM whether they like what they are wearing, and talking to them about it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. So when all is said and done, it's best to talk about other things. Not a matter of the company saying that you can't say anything, but more, why bother?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:29 pm

I look at it like a guest is expressing their opinion concerning whatever topic to a representative of the company. Is there a better way? Yes. Is it something that most people will be passionate about and make the trip to guest services to file a written complaint? Probably not. Do guests have the right? Absolutely, just as the CM can take the criticism and do whatever it is they want. Personally, I'd recommend guest services, and then continue on my day. There are more things to worry about than guests who don't like what I'm wearing.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."