Life on the WDW Railroad

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Life on the WDW Railroad

Post by Darksin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:56 pm

A friend of mine used to work the trains, her favorite thing was always to bitch about the morons who'd jump off a moving train. Because that's just the smartest idea ever! /sarcasm

Up here in PA, Idlewild Park has rights to Thomas the Train. Then again we don't exactly have a "major" park very close, the closest being 4 hours and Cedar Point. I think the closest Six Flag is Baltimore, MD.. not that I mind! ;)

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:32 pm

My father worked on the railroad during the late transition era when the line was still running steam. He was a brakeman, and it was his job at times to jump off a moving train and then get back on. He broke bones in his foot, and knew others who slipped and died.

Knowing this, I never could work up too much interest in jumping off a train. :rolleyes:

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:30 pm

WEDFan wrote:My father worked on the railroad during the late transition era when the line was still running steam. He was a brakeman, and it was his job at times to jump off a moving train and then get back on. He broke bones in his foot, and knew others who slipped and died.

Knowing this, I never could work up too much interest in jumping off a train. :rolleyes:
This reminds me of a favorite great aunt of mine. She was born blind and quite the beauty, she also owned half the Parrish. She married and buried a couple of husbands. One of them turned up without a head on the side of the railroad tracks just outside of Monroe, LA. I think it was due to his gambling more then jumping on and off trains. She was a great lady and I miss her.

ladytremaine
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by ladytremaine » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:47 am

hubby works on main street and one of his jobs is conductor on the steam trains. he LOVES it! hubby fills all the positions on main street except engineer. thats the last position he needs to train for.

hubby points new stuff out to me each time we ride the train. before we got on the trains the last time around, he told me to watch for live wildlife. apparently, deer flock to the scene in frontierland where there are animatronic deer (we actually saw this the last time we were at the park). also, alligators pop up quite frequently, but i havent seen one there yet.

hubby gets his picture taken all the time by guests and has even seen himself on youtube. he drives the old time vehicles down main street, so when there is a rainy day parade, he gets to drive the characters. plus, random guests take pictures with him either because he helps make their day more magical (or because hes so handsome IMO).

ive never seen my husband so happy at a job. he comes home after working a 12 hour shift in 95 degree weather, complete with thunderstorm, and smiles.

Penny
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Penny » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:14 am

Darksin wrote:I think the closest Six Flag is Baltimore, MD ;)
Forget that one! I live in Baltimore and go to New Jersey when I need a Six Flags fix. The one in Baltimore has a looooooong way to go before it should be called a Six Flags park!!! :thumbdn:

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 am

Darksin wrote: Up here in PA, Idlewild Park has rights to Thomas the Train. Then again we don't exactly have a "major" park very close, the closest being 4 hours and Cedar Point. I think the closest Six Flag is Baltimore, MD.. not that I mind! ;)
Hershey Park? Dorney Park? Kennywood?

There's Six Flags Great America in New Jersey and Six Flags America near DC. The one in Baltimore has been gone for years, maybe over a decade. Wow, the internet tells me it closed in 1989. Time flies.

Penny
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Penny » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:45 am

Buggy wrote:Hershey Park? Dorney Park? Kennywood?

There's Six Flags Great America in New Jersey and Six Flags America near DC. The one in Baltimore has been gone for years, maybe over a decade. Wow, the internet tells me it closed in 1989.
We in Baltimore consider the one near D.C., the one in Baltimore. I don't recall there ever actually being a Six Flags in Baltimore. Would you care to elaborate?

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Great stories! I agree that NemoRanger shows a lot of potential here, and that Zazu would consider taking him under his wing as his apprentice here at SGT... :cat1:

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Six Flags over the Ghetto (As we call it) or in reality it's Six Flags Over America. It's listed as D.C./Balitmore even on the website ;)
Frankly, your right Great Adventure is a MUCH better park! I was just talking closeness to my current location. It's faster and cheaper to get to Baltimore then it is to get up into Jackson, NJ. Baltimore/D.C has zero tolls.. going to NJ you have to deal with those leeches on the PA Turnpike (those money hungry bastards!).

Kennywood is the closest and would really be considered my "Home Park" at this point since I'm stuck here in the Northern Tundra for several more years. Dorney and Hershey are on the East Side.. I'm on the West Side you know, where the buses don't run ;)

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:36 am

Penny wrote:We in Baltimore consider the one near D.C., the one in Baltimore. I don't recall there ever actually being a Six Flags in Baltimore. Would you care to elaborate?
Really? If I lived in Baltimore, I'd want to consider 6 Flags America as far away as possible. But that's just me.

I'm amazed at the lack of web presence of Six Flags Power Plant (now a Barnes and Noble), but it was there, right in the Inner Harbor by the aquarium.

http://wonderfulworldofblog.blogspot.co ... plant.html