Segway

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Re: Segway

Post by TiggerHappy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Main Streeter wrote:This Boston Terrier or whatever breed the dog is is an emotional therapy dog for the one guest.
But I thought therapy animals weren't allowed, only designated service animals.

TeamUBR
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TeamUBR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 pm

I work at a very large hospital. Last year we had a physician that had a physical issue that made it difficult to walk long distances. He got a "doctor's note" to ride a Segway around the hospital, including to the OR. Had to have security, risk management, infection control, pt safety and quality and my boss (a VP) sign off, but they all allowed it.
Funniest part was risk management made him wear a bicycle helmet because they were afraid he'd hit a door frame.

He had to provide the Segway (I was sure they would try to make my department buy it) Still not sure why he couldn't use a motorized W/C the way the rest of the population does.

j

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:But I thought therapy animals weren't allowed, only designated service animals.
A Therapy pet is a service animal.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 am

Main Streeter wrote:A Therapy pet is a service animal.
Interesting. I heard that therapy animals were not recognized as service animals in some places.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:25 pm

I really hope Segways are not allowed in the parks. I can only imagine the problems there would be when trying to exit after a night show/parade/fireworks =/

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:58 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:Interesting. I heard that therapy animals were not recognized as service animals in some places.
I will txt my vet & ask.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:06 am

joanna71985 wrote:I really hope Segways are not allowed in the parks. I can only imagine the problems there would be when trying to exit after a night show/parade/fireworks =/
The thing that really worries me about the Segways is the high-end speed. Even at the lowest setting, they are a danger to ankles and shins, but if the user has the "governer" or whatever the official designation is set to the highest setting (what used to be the red key) you can do some serious damage.

Everyone should bear in mind the following fact, though: If you grasp the yoke of a Segway and push, you can move it and the rider anywhere you want. With your feet planted firmly on the ground, you can easily tilt the platform and the gyros will react accordingly. The person on the platform can't compete since they are only shifting their weight. ;) :twisted:

TechieSidhe
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TechieSidhe » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:37 pm

WEDFan wrote:The thing that really worries me about the Segways is the high-end speed. Even at the lowest setting, they are a danger to ankles and shins, but if the user has the "governer" or whatever the official designation is set to the highest setting (what used to be the red key) you can do some serious damage.
Aren't the Disney ones throttled back so they can't go that fast?

I see how the motorized scooters get driven. It scares me to think about the Segways. Who is liable when "Jane" and her Segway runs over some kid or a cast member because she was not paying attention.

TechieSidhe
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TechieSidhe » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:But I thought therapy animals weren't allowed, only designated service animals.
Service animals tend to go through some kind of certification process and training with paperwork. With a lot of "comfort animals," you get stuck taking the person's word for it that the little yappy teacup size thing in their purse is a comfort animal. Plus, where to you draw the line with them? What happens when someone says their 7 foot long python is a comfort animal? Or a ferret? Or a parrot? Does Disney have to let those things in too? Who is liable when the untrained comfort animal bites or gets out in a ride.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:52 pm

TechieSidhe wrote:Aren't the Disney ones throttled back so they can't go that fast?
It's part of the design of the Segways. They have 3 settings, each with a greater top speed and responsiveness. Disney always uses the lowest setting for their tours. The setting used to be selected by a physical key. Balck key, yellow key and red key. At that time, Disney only handed out the black keys to guests -- CMs would get yellow keys. Segway has changed that now, and it is a slection through the controls. I don't know exactly how it's done. Disney still sets it to the lowest speed.

The problem comes with people bringing their own Segways into the parks. The owner can set it to whatever they like. Even if Disney checked at the gate to make sure the lowest setting was selected, nothing would prevent the knowledgable user from changing the setting, so far as I know.