Segway

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Re: Segway

Post by ktulu » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:59 pm

What about service animals riding segways? I'm thinking of teaching my old dog new tricks...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 pm

ktulu wrote:What about service animals riding segways? I'm thinking of teaching my old dog new tricks...
I don't think the center of gravity would be right and the small ones couldn't reach the yoke. If you start the training, though, post video! :D:

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:38 pm

TechieSidhe wrote:Service animals tend to go through some kind of certification process and training with paperwork. With a lot of "comfort animals," you get stuck taking the person's word for it that the little yappy teacup size thing in their purse is a comfort animal. Plus, where to you draw the line with them? What happens when someone says their 7 foot long python is a comfort animal? Or a ferret? Or a parrot? Does Disney have to let those things in too? Who is liable when the untrained comfort animal bites or gets out in a ride.
Until very recently those questions were left unanswered. Recently ADA was modified to specifically exclude "comfort" animals, Ferrets, Pythons or Parrots as protected "service" animals. Since one cannot ask for proof that a service animal is "certified" due to the fact that they allow you to train your own animal something had to be done to stop the abuse. There was abuse aplenty! Now any animal the specifically has a definable job to do that can be witnessed must be allowed to enter, however, they can also be observed and if they exhibit any behavior that indicates that they are not sufficiently trained can be asked to leave. That behavior might be barking at people, nipping at people, uncontrollable behavior and just general acts that indicates that they are not paying attention to their job or are lacking in training.

:goofy: :goofy:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 pm

You mean just acting like a regular dog? ;)

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:43 am

Goofyernmost wrote:Until very recently those questions were left unanswered. Recently ADA was modified to specifically exclude "comfort" animals, Ferrets, Pythons or Parrots as protected "service" animals. Since one cannot ask for proof that a service animal is "certified" due to the fact that they allow you to train your own animal something had to be done to stop the abuse. There was abuse aplenty! Now any animal the specifically has a definable job to do that can be witnessed must be allowed to enter, however, they can also be observed and if they exhibit any behavior that indicates that they are not sufficiently trained can be asked to leave. That behavior might be barking at people, nipping at people, uncontrollable behavior and just general acts that indicates that they are not paying attention to their job or are lacking in training.
disneyland wont even walk my rats when I go there.
so I walk them at night after I get back from the parks. just put on thier leashes and walk them outside.
really gets looks from the cms too.

Corey

TechieSidhe
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TechieSidhe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:56 am

Goofyernmost wrote: Since one cannot ask for proof that a service animal is "certified" due to the fact that they allow you to train your own animal something had to be done to stop the abuse. There was abuse aplenty!
In my area, it seems to be a way to get around the "no pets allowed" rule in a lot of places, and again, mostly involves small teacup dogs in ladies purses and strollers. The ladies seem to get off on all the attention the dogs get, and don't treat them like the blind people with service dogs do. The blind people treat them like they are working and not there to get petted all the time.

A lot of kids don't understand the concept of a working dog and will rush towards or reach to pet dogs, and sometimes parents aren't quick enough to stop that. I worry that an untrained dog will bite a kid and Disney (with deep pockets) will get sued because they let the dog in the park in the first place.

Yes, I believe some people do need comfort dogs or companions, but like everything, someone will figure out a way to abuse it, and flaunt it as a "look, I got my dog into Disney" thing.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:59 pm

TechieSidhe wrote:In my area, it seems to be a way to get around the "no pets allowed" rule in a lot of places, and again, mostly involves small teacup dogs in ladies purses and strollers. The ladies seem to get off on all the attention the dogs get, and don't treat them like the blind people with service dogs do. The blind people treat them like they are working and not there to get petted all the time.

A lot of kids don't understand the concept of a working dog and will rush towards or reach to pet dogs, and sometimes parents aren't quick enough to stop that. I worry that an untrained dog will bite a kid and Disney (with deep pockets) will get sued because they let the dog in the park in the first place.

Yes, I believe some people do need comfort dogs or companions, but like everything, someone will figure out a way to abuse it, and flaunt it as a "look, I got my dog into Disney" thing.

I believe that some do as well, however, and trying to be as sympathetic as I can muster, Disney Parks are not a place they should be. Would they like to be, sure, just as much as a paraplegic would love to walk and run, but sometimes things make that impossible. If you have a problem that prohibits you from being in a place like Disney...well life sucks sometimes. When I had my accident that affected my leg, I already had purchased my tickets to WDW and made my reservations. I couldn't go! Did it upset me? Yup! But it was what it was! I had to accept that, so do others that have different but equally limiting problems.

:goofy: :goofy:

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Main Streeter wrote:A Therapy pet is a service animal.
According to the latest guidelines from the Department of Justice an emotional support animal (therapy animal) is not a service animal. A service animal provides specific services, such as guiding, pick up objects, alerting for hearing problems, alerting for possible seizures, etc.

However, under the Air Carriers act an emotional support animal is a service animal. So must be allowed in the cabin on aircraft.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Doesn't DLR still have the kennels near the entrance like they used to?

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:43 pm

felinefan wrote:Doesn't DLR still have the kennels near the entrance like they used to?
Kennels were relocated.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]