Service animal going nuts

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Service animal going nuts

Post by NemoRanger » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 pm

This afternoon for a good hour we had a guy who looked homeless with dog on a leash sitting just outside the cast member entrance to MK. Apparently, he told security the dog was a service animal and he had the paper in his pocket to prove it.

Ok, I know people have service animals for all types of reasons. I have no issue with service animals for whatever you need it for. I just have a hard time believing that this dog was a service animals since every time the monorail or train came by he would jump up and down and bark like crazy. The guy said he just hates trains.

I have never seen a service animal bark unless there is some danger with the person he is helping. Majority of the time I thought they were trained not to be bothered by the unkown things like Trains and Monorails. It was all so suspicious.

Well he ended up coming through my turnstile with a valid maingate. I can't tell you how shocked I was that he was actually a cast member. Esspecially since he had such a long scraggy beard. It was a silver pass though.

Epeyon
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Service animal going nuts

Post by Epeyon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:13 pm

I've seen people with little poodles wearing service animal harnesses. That are freaking out over everything you see, and they're adult dogs. I get the feeling sometimes people might find somewhere online to buy the harness.

Of course there are also the comfort animals, and less uhh reputable training programs for service animals.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 am

Met Ruby in the Red Dog Saloon in Virginia City, she is a beautiful Rottweiler who tolerates tourists petting her all day and likes to visit the local schoolkids...reddogvc.com, you can see her on the stage on one of the pages... :)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:50 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Met Ruby in the Red Dog Saloon in Virginia City, she is a beautiful Rottweiler who tolerates tourists petting her all day and likes to visit the local schoolkids...reddogvc.com, you can see her on the stage on one of the pages... :)
How abour a service rat?
they can be your food tasters.
if a rat dont want it, something is wrong with it.

Corey

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:08 pm

drcorey wrote:How abour a service rat?
Just what I need, someone else criticizing my cooking! :rolleyes:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:36 am

DisneyMom wrote:Just what I need, someone else criticizing my cooking! :rolleyes:

Corey

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:48 pm

drcorey wrote:How abour a service rat?
Anyone else think of Remmy?

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:34 am

1. Under the ADA there is no such thing as official Service Dog certification papers.

2. You are permitted to ask two basic questions of the handler: (1) Is this a Service Dog? and (2) What does this dog do to alleviate a disability?

There are multiple possibilities, such as Guide, Lead, pick up dropped items, provide alerts for hearing, low blood sugar, developing seizure, etc.

3. Per the ADA, an Emotional Support Animal, per se, is not a Service Animal.

4. Even if the dog is a Service Animal, if the dog is not able to be voice controlled and is barking, running around, nipping at people, or any other unacceptable behavior the access of the animal can be revoked and the handler asked to leave the premises with the animal.

5. And under the current DoJ Rules, only a dog can officially be considered a Service Animal.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:08 pm

There have been a couple of instances of a miniature horse being used as a guide animal. In one case, the blind person was allergic to dogs, and the other case was a Muslim woman who couldn't have a dog because her religion forbids them as being unclean.
Actually, horses have several advantages over dogs. They have better side vision, whereas a dog sees mainly in front; they live longer--25-30 years against 10-15 for a dog--and they don't attack people.
The Delta Society trains animals and people for certification as a service animal. Service animals usually have either a brightly colored bandanna or harness identifying them as a service animal.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:36 pm

felinefan wrote:There have been a couple of instances of a miniature horse being used as a guide animal. In one case, the blind person was allergic to dogs, and the other case was a Muslim woman who couldn't have a dog because her religion forbids them as being unclean.
Actually, horses have several advantages over dogs. They have better side vision, whereas a dog sees mainly in front; they live longer--25-30 years against 10-15 for a dog--and they don't attack people.
Horses are great, but you better have a big Pooper Scooper :cool: