The What Are You Up To This Summer Thread!

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: The What Are You Up To This Summer Thread!

Post by darph nader » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:43 am

Puttin a skylite in to 'soon to be' laundry room. :cool:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Finish getting my real estate license and get to work. Gonna actually be a professional at something.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:38 pm

It seems every time I'm gone from this site for a bit, I come back to find Bru has returned and started one of these threads.
I've gone back to school and managed to survive my first year as a transfer student at San Jose State. I got in at just the right time, because they are now turning away even more applicants than before. None of the classes I need for my major are being offered this summer, so I get a summer vacation. And I get to work whatever union overhire calls I can get on and the occasional Arena Football game. (Go SaberCats. :rolleyes: )
GaTechGal wrote: But the best of all is we're doing our big Disney cruise on the Fantasy to the Easter Caribbean to celebrate son's 16th birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary (was actually back in Dec. be we're celebrating now). I'm so excited about the cruise. I've been saving for it for like 2 years.
I was on the May 19th sailing of the Fantasy. You will love the ship. The Satellite Falls area is really nice and peaceful. And the Aquaduck is a blast. (Warning: They take pictures of riders on the first 3 days of the cruise.)

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:13 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:I've had so many friends go home for the summer in an attempt to find jobs, only for them to realize all the jobs are in midtown.
She HAD a job at Victoria Secrets in sales. But the stupid hiring manager that was leaving didn't call to tell her that her Student ID had expired and to please bring up another form of ID. When she FINALLY called, they said sorry we've filled all the positions. And midtown is a little far to drive. By the time she paid for the gas, she wouldn't have made any money. We're still hopeful something will come up.
techie-13 wrote:I was on the May 19th sailing of the Fantasy. You will love the ship. The Satellite Falls area is really nice and peaceful. And the Aquaduck is a blast. (Warning: They take pictures of riders on the first 3 days of the cruise.)
Thanks for the tip Techie. This is our first long cruise (we did two other ones on the Wonder but only for 3 days each) so we're really excited about getting to really explore the ship. And I'm not sure that I want to invest the big bucks in the photos from the ship, but we'll see. DH got a DSLR camera for his birthday and will be taking a lot of shots I'm sure.

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Ooo GaTech I hope you have a fantastic cruise. If I was ever going to get on a big boat it would be a Disney one but I am still a fraidy cat :/

It is so good to catch up on what everybody has been up to, I swear I am going to just make it my browser homepage here so I don't let time slip by without being around here.

And hobie...you're going to be in OHIO? That is So. Close. To. Here.

If I could still drive...

Please keep those updates coming, they are cheering me up a little and not much can do that at the moment.

xoxo
bru

PS Oh, I just realized, I didn't answer your question GaTech...no, not only didn't she move back but she moved AWAY. She is living in Arizona now and a month after moving announced she wasn't speaking to me anymore because she had to "follow the will of God." So unless I repent and return to her beliefs (which I left before she was old enough for them to be her beliefs) she is treating me as if I'm dead. This is full cult conversion and is not a teenage phase, and March and I are absolutely devastated.

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:32 pm

I will be sticking close to home, other than the week we go to my parents place in north western Ontario. With the kid in various dance camps, much of the summer will be spent chauffeuring her about the city.
If we are lucky we will get a weekend in at Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls. And maybe a day trip or 2 there as well. Its been years since we visited Marineland.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:16 pm

February wrote:And hobie...you're going to be in OHIO? That is So. Close. To. Here.

If I could still drive...
I'll be staying in Waynesville.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:44 am

Bru, so sorry about your daughter. She'll come to regret her decision some day. Sending you and March many {{hugs}} and I'll be glad to share my 2 with you any time you need a kiddo fix. (Of course, keep in mind that they are 19 and 16 so they're not as cuddly as they used to be. But at least they are polite.)

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:18 am

delsdad wrote:I will be sticking close to home, other than the week we go to my parents place in north western Ontario. With the kid in various dance camps, much of the summer will be spent chauffeuring her about the city.
If we are lucky we will get a weekend in at Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls. And maybe a day trip or 2 there as well. Its been years since we visited Marineland.
And I forgot to mention that I might be working for the main Mouse for a few weeks! :belle: :beast: ? I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm leaning towards the gig, as it will be a great fit with my daughters dance schedule.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:20 pm

It's always to treat to hear from you, Bru! Got anymore masterpieces planned or in production?
I am still living in part of a house next door to Isaiah House, we just replaced yet another roomie, and next week at work I'll be going in at noon instead of 8 a.m., because of VBS. This year's theme is flying.
My roomies and I would like to be able to get a cheap barbecue so we can have cookouts in the backyard, but so far our one roomie who's a real go-getter when it comes to decorating and finding bargains hasn't found anything we can afford just yet.
But now we have cable T.V., so now I have an escape when my roomies in my room start watching shows I don't care for--too many to list. I discovered that one of my favorite shows, Skeleton Stories, is no longer on. And trying to catch other shows like Dr. G is so far proven difficult. I still manage to get the weekend Mythbusters marathon, or part of it, though. And I've caught a few new episodes of History Detectives.

Try to stop by more often, okay?