Gas Is Expensive

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Gas Is Expensive

Post by Zazu » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:51 pm

TdcOgre wrote:I'm not picking on Zazu for his Prius. .... OTOH here in northern Indiana in the winter Zazu's Prius is sometimes impractical.
Only one of several reasons you won't find me in northern Indiana in the winter. I've lived in Florida for so long that I now feel cold at 60F and temperatures below freezing are unthinkable.

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Zazu wrote:Only one of several reasons you won't find me in northern Indiana in the winter. I've lived in Florida for so long that I now feel cold at 60F and temperatures below freezing are unthinkable.
No kiddin'! If it gets into the '60s here on Maui I have to dig out long pants.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

TdcOgre
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TdcOgre » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:01 am

Zazu wrote:Only one of several reasons you won't find me in northern Indiana in the winter. I've lived in Florida for so long that I now feel cold at 60F and temperatures below freezing are unthinkable.
I know you Floridians are acclimated to your weather. We've been at WDW for MNSSHP several times, usually in late Oct. One year there was a bit of a cold snap and temps in the morning were in the low 50's. We saw local residents in PARKAS!! Heck I debated wearing shorts or just light weight pants. Of course, I have more fur (and other insulation) than you too.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:13 am

Zazu wrote:52.4, but I'm not bragging or anything!
TdcOgre wrote:True Story: Two years ago we had a particularly heavy snowfall with huge drifts. I was plowing along through a set of them on one particular state hwy when I had to swerve at the last minute. I'd just noticed that one set of drifts had somebody's bumper sticking out of it. Could've been a Prius :p:
I only get about 46 out of my Prius, but I do almost all highway miles where the mileage isn't quite as good. I do have to concede, though, that it isn't ideal in heavy snow. It handles fine on a plowed road, but the low ground clearance means I have to wait until said plowing is done. In my hometown, that can be quite a wait. :rolleyes:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:18 am

TdcOgre wrote:I know you Floridians are acclimated to your weather. We've been at WDW for MNSSHP several times, usually in late Oct. One year there was a bit of a cold snap and temps in the morning were in the low 50's. We saw local residents in PARKAS!! Heck I debated wearing shorts or just light weight pants. Of course, I have more fur (and other insulation) than you too.
Our first trip to WDW we stayed at the Contemporary. We got up one morning, checked outside, and decided to wear sweatshirts with our short-sleeved shirts and shorts. We got to the monorail platform and the CM there had on a parka, and she was huddled in on herself trying to keep warm. Quite the contrast.

By the same token, though, the heat and humidity will often leave this pasty-white northerner as little more than a puddle in the walkways... in October. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around a summer visit. :eek:

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 pm

WEDFan wrote:Our first trip to WDW we stayed at the Contemporary. We got up one morning, checked outside, and decided to wear sweatshirts with our short-sleeved shirts and shorts. We got to the monorail platform and the CM there had on a parka, and she was huddled in on herself trying to keep warm. Quite the contrast.

By the same token, though, the heat and humidity will often leave this pasty-white northerner as little more than a puddle in the walkways... in October. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around a summer visit. :eek:
That kind of thing happened to me last December. I had decided that I was going to Park Hop between MK and Epcot so I parked in the Epcot parking lot and made my way over to the Monorail station. It was, even I'll admit, a little chilly, maybe 50 something, but since I knew how it changes in Florida from hour to hour, I was wearing a T-shirt and Shorts. I encountered all the CM's wearing parkas, mittens and wool knit hats literally shivering. I know they were equally shocked by my outfit, but within an hour I was comfortably wandering around MK and passing a number of people carrying their jackets along with them.

:goofy: :goofy: