"No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: "No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Post by darph nader » Sat May 05, 2012 11:31 pm

NemoRanger wrote:Do what they do at airports. Build an enclosure of some sort. Wall them off from the rest of the park. You could create smoker lounges. Sell Drinks and Cigarettes in those area and then every smoker would know exactly where to go and would WANT to be in there.
They 'used' to have those at TIA. Now you have to smoke outside in from of the terminal about 75' from the doors. :mad:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:23 pm

"No smoking here" also means throw your butt on the ground and walk away. I heard stories of cigarettes being fliked at CMs, but that hasn't yet been witnessed. Would it surprise me? No.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon May 07, 2012 6:45 am

DLRFantasmic!Dan wrote:Disney can do whatever they want. It is private property and everyone must listen to them. Disney Park, Disney rules.
My question wasn't about what they *can* do, but what they *will* do. I agree completely that they can do what they want as it is private property, but I was wondering how aggressive they are willing to be about the smoking policy. Every time you have a policy and a beligerent person disregarding it, someone needs to decide if it is worth forcing the issue in terms of hassle and potnetial PR problems.

As far as identifying the areas, I always look for the ashtrays and figure at least one bench to either side. :)

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon May 07, 2012 7:22 am

NemoRanger wrote:Do what they do at airports. Build an enclosure of some sort. Wall them off from the rest of the park. You could create smoker lounges. Sell Drinks and Cigarettes in those area and then every smoker would know exactly where to go and would WANT to be in there.
At first I was imagining an un-air-conditioned glass box... bad idea in Florida. But make it even a bit luxurious, and you have a winning idea. Sadly, I have seen those go away in the airports. They really should have SOMETHING for people smoking who are also flying. But man, do that in the parks, make it an air-conditioned affair with nice seating and maybe even a Cast Member turning it into a classy lounge... Call them "Uncle Walt's Escape" or something.
Teddykeiko86 wrote:I heard stories of cigarettes being fliked at CMs, but that hasn't yet been witnessed.
I had it happen once. The REALLY sad part is that they missed from a couple feet away... and they did it after my spiel that usually 1) shows respect for that person and 2) has them HAPPILY putting out the cigarette as fast as they can. Life is so much easier when you tell someone something like that and you start with, "I hate to have to do this to you... if it was up to me, I would let you be, but I get in trouble if I don't, so here goes:" In a case like smoking where once there were no rules, where at least half the Cast Members smoke themselves, etc., etc., etc.; don't force the idea. Sell it.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Mon May 07, 2012 8:40 am

Big Wallaby wrote: Cast Member turning it into a classy lounge... Call them "Uncle Walt's Escape" or something.
I totally forgot Uncle Walt was a smoker and died from Lung cancer. So a smoking lounge would be totally appropriate.

I wonder how he would have handled the smoking if here were still alive. I have never been a smoker and don't really remember Disneyland when smoking was allowed.

I think there was once a smoke shop. So were there Disney themed Ash Trays everywhere? Could you smoke in line for the rides?

I had a guy on Finding Nemo light up a cigar in the Big Blue world section. I thought he was insane. Now I am wondering maybe he was just from a different era when people could smoke on a ride.

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 am

NemoRanger wrote: I had a guy on Finding Nemo light up a cigar in the Big Blue world section. I thought he was insane. Now I am wondering maybe he was just from a different era when people could smoke on a ride.
He just wanted to create a "Big Blue Cloud "

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 am

This was a big problem when were were at DLP too. People were always smoking in line, despite the signs and CM announcements saying not to.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Mon May 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Okay, smoking in line is just flat out rude.
Flicking a butt at a CM? Now that's entirely ****ing rude and that person probably should have been slapped with a brick... in a pillow case.

Personally I try to stay within 15-20 feet of the ashtrays but that isn't always possible, especially if it's a shaded spot like the one near BTMR in MK. You have to stand further away simply because that one is ALWAYS packed with other smokers, this is normally where someone will get yelled at every single time we've stopped there.

You don't even have to make something crazy, just offer a smoking area in a shaded spot perhaps with someplace to sit and rest your feet for a bit and I promise you we'll flock there! The people I do see smoking outside the areas tend to always been on a bench or planter, sitting so benches would probably be a good idea!

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Mon May 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Where I work, we have some good designated smoking areas (one of which is a rather large garden area), but people still constantly smoke outside of the designated areas. It doesn't matter how much we try to enforce the designated areas, people are going to be inconsiderate anyway. :rolleyes:

(on a side note, some genius placed a smoking area right outside of the employee entrance into the park. Good thinking! I love having to walk through a cloud of smoke on my way into work! :D :)

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 pm

KingsIslander wrote:(on a side note, some genius placed a smoking area right outside of the employee entrance into the park. Good thinking! I love having to walk through a cloud of smoke on my way into work! :D :)
I am pretty sure that is SOP.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?