You forgot how to CLOCK IN?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

You forgot how to CLOCK IN?

Post by KingsIslander » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:29 pm

&quot wrote:Time and Attendance System Basic Instructions
  • Dial 8463 (TIME) from your work location phone.
  • Enter your Associate ID number.
  • Enter your 4-digit password.
  • You will then be given several options. Select the appropriate option number.
    "PRESS 1 TO START SHIFT"
    "PRESS 2 TO START BREAK"
    "PRESS 3 TO END BREAK"
    "PRESS 4 TO END SHIFT"
    "PRESS 7 FOR THE EMPLOYEE MENU"
Easy enough, right? Should be, especially since the system only gives you the options you need at any given time (if you're not clocked in, you only get start shift and employee menu. if you're clocked in, you only get start break, end shift, or employee menu, and so on.).

Here are some of the most common quotes regarding our time system:
  • "I forgot to clock in!"
  • "Hey, I clocked out for my shift instead of clocking out for my break."
  • "Do I hit 1 or 7?"
  • "What's my password?"
  • "Why is it telling me to talk to a supervisor?" (means you're fired, dear)
  • "What does 'Shift Started at 10:05 AM' mean?"
  • "Can I make it say I clocked in at 8?" (said at 9:30)
  • "Why does it say I worked 18 hours today?" (Did you, by any chance, forget to clock out last night...?)
Now, for my personal favorite. One of my supervisors, who worked at the park for FIVE YEARS... forgot how to clock in. Yes, apparently "Press 1 to start shift" was just too difficult for her. She actually asked a brand new person for help, and the brand new person knew more than her. What was her excuse for not knowing how to clock in suddenly?

"They make that way too complicated."
:shock:

Folks, this is what I had to put up with every day.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: You forgot how to CLOCK IN?

Post by darph nader » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Thank goodness my work uses plain-old cardboard time cards. :cool: (unlike my last job)

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:46 pm

I can't imagine how confused some people would be if we always had to use normal time cards. If the system is down we have to do it on paper, and somehow writing down the time you started and ended working and your break times is very confusing to come people. :rolleyes:

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:51 am

Neither one is complicated but you know how it is, you give any group of people something simple and they WILL complicate it.

The biggest problems I ever noticed with the phone time-clock method was ours never, ever showed location it was dialed from. Just basic 'Areas' so someone would clock in at the gate, then take their merry damn time getting to their place to actually work. At least with paper you had to, get this, get your ass to where your suppose to BE to clock in because they had your time-card.

Another one that drove me personally nutty was the "Race for the phone" game. You know, when people DID go to their areas and clock in, there was always a line for the phone. We had a 7 minute grace period before being considered late and only ONE PHONE which would dial to the extension for a 3-4 person opening/closing crew. So if someone in front of you hit the wrong damn ID number people behind them would be 'late' clocking in or out. I can't tell you how many "Time Edit" forms we filled out that ended in a better worded version of ".. jackass hit the wrong damn number".

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:47 am

I can only imagine the difficulties they would have with a time reporting requirement where you have to allocate your time to specific tasks/billing codes in 15 minute increments. Let the chaos begin!

(And, yes, I do have to do that.)

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 pm

I remember one time when I worked at Knott's, we had to clock in/out near our area, in my case Camp Snoopy. This was before they tore up the area. Anyway, one night I and a couple other people went to the place where we were supposed to clock out, and the tiny booth where the timeclock was had a burned out lightbulb. It was very dark, I was trying to get my card out to clock out, couldn't see a thing, and I used a card for something else that I had in my wallet. No go, of course. I think I might've had a small flashlight on me, that I used to see what I was doing. Finally got clocked out, but I think I just managed to clock out by the skin of my teeth without incurring unauthorized overtime. Honestly, they do everything too complicated, inconvenient, or just plain stupid.

I'm working as a custodian in my church, and I don't have to punch a clock--only the daycare teachers have to punch a clock, all the rest of us are on salary.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:56 pm

WEDFan wrote:I can only imagine the difficulties they would have with a time reporting requirement where you have to allocate your time to specific tasks/billing codes in 15 minute increments. Let the chaos begin!

(And, yes, I do have to do that.)
Let me guess, government funded contract work?

Kurt

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:07 am

kurtisnelson wrote:Let me guess, government funded contract work?
Some of it, yes. Ulitimately, the large corporation I work for has government contracts, so everyone gets to enjoy the fun.

I've also dealt a lot with lawyers, who also have that kind of time keeping constraint.

So a man get's a letter from his lawyer. He opens it up and reads: "John, I was walking down the street the other day and thought I saw you, so I crossed over to say hello, but it wasn't you. .1 hr @ $350.00. Please remit $35.00."

:rimshot:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:41 pm

WEDFan wrote:Some of it, yes. Ulitimately, the large corporation I work for has government contracts, so everyone gets to enjoy the fun.

I've also dealt a lot with lawyers, who also have that kind of time keeping constraint.

So a man get's a letter from his lawyer. He opens it up and reads: "John, I was walking down the street the other day and thought I saw you, so I crossed over to say hello, but it wasn't you. .1 hr @ $350.00. Please remit $35.00."

:rimshot:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
your almost not joking on this. when I got divorced I would get the letters, read email, .1, responded to email .2 and the $ amount. lawyers charge for everything. I paid her up front and still got a bill after it was all said and done.
Steve

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 pm

I guess people at WDW had it made. We just had to type in our Pern# and a few mouse clicks to clock in and out. If you saw Mickey waving at you, you knew you were clocked out. We could also swipe our badges but for some reason that was discouraged. I guess it was too simple and efficient to do that. ;)