Fastpass changes???

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Fastpass changes???

Post by 5th Dimension » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 pm

We will probably be expected to make exceptions for people who, for example, have dinner reservations or if they took a unexpected longer time at another ride. (or maybe their plane flight is in 1 hour :rolleyes :)

The bad thing about this is that they will probably lie more often, and we can't just ask them to give us evidence. Then I'm supposed to turn away the truthful and nice people who are late?

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:44 pm

That's where you simply ask, "Do you know how long it will take you to get from right here to the airport? Let's see... we're standing at the entrance to Splash Mountain. So, it's gonna take you at least 20 minutes to get to the front of the park, you'll wait up to 10 minutes for a Monorail or ferry, six minutes to get around to TTC, three to ten minutes waiting for a tram, another few minutes before they take off, two minutes to get to your car, 15 minutes to get off property, half an hour to get to the airport, ten minutes to turn in your car, five minutes to walk from the car return to the TSA lines, and they're not going to let you past anyway. So, you might as well stay and wait for your FastPass time to come now." Maybe on your last day.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

mattdbower
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: WDW
Department: Transportation
Position: Watercraft Operator

Post by mattdbower » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:00 pm

[font="Tahoma"]It would take a technology overhaul, but in my perfect world, you could choose your return time. You could have the standard FP machines plus one extra for each attraction where you could choose to accept a later return time (of course some slots could become filled and you would not be able to choose those). That way if you want to see a parade that's during the posted return time, you can accept a later time so you can ride after the parade. I know it would be a pain to implement, but I sure think it would be cool.[/font]

Please note: Any views and/or opinions in this post not directly quoted from a valid source represent my own views and/or opinions and not necessarily those of any other individual or entity.

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:59 am

mattdbower wrote:[font="Tahoma"]It would take a technology overhaul, but in my perfect world, you could choose your return time. You could have the standard FP machines plus one extra for each attraction where you could choose to accept a later return time (of course some slots could become filled and you would not be able to choose those). That way if you want to see a parade that's during the posted return time, you can accept a later time so you can ride after the parade. I know it would be a pain to implement, but I sure think it would be cool.[/font]
I don't think it would be THAT hard, just add a screen to each Fastpass machine (in the area, not at home), and when the certain time's reservations are all used up, make that unavailable. Then, at the attraction entrance, have a scanner (it could look like a FLIK card scanner) that would scan and give the CM a simple valid or invalid indication.

I guess if the final hour is all used up, that would be unfair, so have that available only when all other times are used up.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:26 am

The interface could be really simple. Show the first available slot. Have 3 buttons: Next, Accept, Cancel. Next moves to the nex available slot. If there are not more, it stays on the last and tells you that. Accept prints for the slot offered. Cancel returns your media without printing. It would still be a little too complex for some guests, but what can you do? :)

The problem with any kind of selection, though, is the group that stand around debating what time is best.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:48 am

You could still print out the same fastpass, no need for a scanner (and one less thing to break).

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:26 pm

What I don't get is when the guests who stay at the Disneyland Hotel sand they come up to a CM asking about the express hotel fast pass for the attractions. What is it?

Then last week I was asked if I had a CM Fast Pass on me? Nope! It was a CM that signed him and 3 others in. The Guests wanted another one because his friend just paid for a ticket and wanted a special CM pass. Really? I had no idea CM's had them. Buy a turkey leg, you might find the golden ticket inside the turkey leg for your special FP. Dream on folks!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:01 am

I saw in an article that Disney is reportedly telling CMs that this isn't a change in policy -- just a reminder of what the policy is (or something like that). I was always under the impression that it was policy not to enforce the end time since I was originally told about it by CMs. Had I known that it wasn't official, I would have stayed within the end times.

Can any CMs comment on this? Was it policy to not enforce or what? It must have gotten started somehow.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 am

turkeyham wrote:What I don't get is when the guests who stay at the Disneyland Hotel sand they come up to a CM asking about the express hotel fast pass for the attractions. What is it?

Then last week I was asked if I had a CM Fast Pass on me? Nope! It was a CM that signed him and 3 others in. The Guests wanted another one because his friend just paid for a ticket and wanted a special CM pass. Really? I had no idea CM's had them. Buy a turkey leg, you might find the golden ticket inside the turkey leg for your special FP. Dream on folks!
This could be for guests staying on property. There is a special fastpass, two per guest, that gives you an immediate fastpass. You put it in the machine, and it spits out a fastpass for the current return time. It's quite nice!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:24 am

WEDFan wrote:I saw in an article that Disney is reportedly telling CMs that this isn't a change in policy -- just a reminder of what the policy is (or something like that). I was always under the impression that it was policy not to enforce the end time since I was originally told about it by CMs. Had I known that it wasn't official, I would have stayed within the end times.

Can any CMs comment on this? Was it policy to not enforce or what? It must have gotten started somehow.
I worked in attractions during the first several years of FASTPASS. I was advised by management that *if* the attraction had gone 101 for any period, then that particular attraction could accept FPs from before the return to service for the rest of that day; subject to CM discretion and guest service recovery policies.

This was at a time when FP operators were a separate department, rotating among the FP attractions with CDS. As a result, they may not know if the attraction had gone down, nor when. Given that some attractions go 101 several times a day, these rotating FP cast tended to assume that all attractions had previously been down, so permitted all late FPs.

Now that FP positions are again attached to the attraction, there's no excuse for such sloppiness, but because guests had become accustomed to the policy in prior years, enforcing the policy would have been hazardous to their health.

This is why the Company is having to make a big deal of reimposing the policy -- to deal with such guest entitlement issues. (Understandable though they are in this particular case.) Sadly, I predict that we will once again see CMs assaulted by guests, as happened when FP was first introduced. It won't be pretty, and I'm glad I won't be there for it.

Zazu