Help Stop Online Censorship

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Help Stop Online Censorship

Post by CujoSR » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:03 pm

[LEFT]I know this is off topic but the implications of the two bills currently being passed around the Senate and Congress could have lasting effects on this site and the internet in general. Please take a few minutes to read the information on the attached link and send a letter to your congressman urging them not to pass either of these ridiculous laws.

http://americancensorship.org/
http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

[/LEFT]

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Help Stop Online Censorship

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 am

I have not read the articles you linked to (yet), but the idea that the government could simply pull the plug on a website that either they don't like, or a website that someone else accuses of having illegal information (not that it has to) is simply ridiculous. That means that if Board X wanted to shut us down, they just make the accusation that we are running torrents or something. This is government overstepping their bounds. It's getting close to time to go out and get pitchforks and torches and head on out to Washington, D.C. Whoops, we could probably be shut down if this stuff passes for me having said that.

Let me put it bluntly: If this passes, the First Amendment will be dead. If that happens, I'll be moving to Australia or Hong Kong. At this point, based on various factors, one website ranks eight other nations as being more free than the United States. Counting down to the freest, that's

8. Denmark
7. Ireland
6. Canada
5. Switzerland
4. New Zealand
3. Australia
2. Singapore
1. Hong King.

If this bill passes, my guess would be that we will earn a spot much farther away from that number 1 slot.

When your government uses any, ANY MEANS to tell you what you can and cannot say, the accurate term is "tyranny". :mad:

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:06 am

Big Wallaby wrote:1. Hong King.
I went to school with his brother Bill.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:42 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:When your government uses any, ANY MEANS to tell you what you can and cannot say, the accurate term is "tyranny". :mad:
Didn't we all know the government would somehow become involved & use their power to in someway control the internet? Washington is full of corruption & greed, thus only logical they go where the majority of the populace can be captured. Well thought out & written BW, as always. :)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:17 pm

I just emailed my Senators and Congressman and urge every other person on this site, active posters and lurkers alike, to do the same.

You can find the contact for your Congressman here, simply select your state from the drop down box and put in your ZIP +4 in the proper blanks.

You can the contacts for your Senators here. In the top right corner click the drop down box labeled "Find your Senators" and choose your state from the list.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:00 am

Big Wallaby wrote:That means that if Board X wanted to shut us down, they just make the accusation that we are running torrents or something.

And what's wrong with torrents? Blocking torrent sites is censorship.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:55 am

Mr. D. wrote:And what's wrong with torrents? Blocking torrent sites is censorship.
Is blocking spam censorship?

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:26 pm

ktulu wrote:Is blocking spam censorship?
Well, since spam is unsolicited, it would not fall under the same.

No one is "spaming" you with torrents. They are made available to people that wan to search for them.

But since you brought it up, Spam and junk mail should be blocked. If I have a notice on my door "No soliciting" how then can the post office legally send me junk mail?

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Well, as far as postal mailings go, the burden of cost is with the sender, with email, it is with the end users provider.

Torrents, if it was mostly used for legitimate transfers, and not piracy, then they wouldn't be that big of an issue. I suspect that when most providers go to a metered service it may change user's habits in regards to that stuff.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:22 pm

I'll do what I can,but one of our congressmen hasn't been to work in almost a year and the other one is storming around the country on his own personal agenda about immigration. :mad:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.