Help Stop Online Censorship

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Help Stop Online Censorship

Post by Zazu » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:57 pm

delsdad wrote:Doesn't your constitution protect you against such things? Since this would amount to unreasonable search and seizure, or guilty without a trial ? Here it would be challenged, successfully, as unconstitutional .
Our constitution only protects us from such things if we file suit and pay to have the matter considered by our Supreme Court. T'ain't cheap.

The good news is that this has the potential to piss off enough people that we'll be able to afford the cost of the trials.

It's also going to be a boon for offshore DNS services; I'm signing up as soon as the bill passes.

Zazu

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am

It will affect where the root servers are as well. Everything related to DNS will get pushed out of the US, not good.

Soon it'll be a BGP community that we must all support to take down an IP...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:14 pm

ktulu wrote:Soon it'll be a BGP community that we must all support to take down an IP...
Over my and the whole internet's dead body.

Kurt

TdcOgre
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TdcOgre » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

An interesting take on what started the whole P2P thing.

Anyone here see how Rep. Paul Ryan caved into a campaign by Reddit users over SOPA?

http://mashable.com/2012/01/09/paul-ryan-sopa/

To me that's one down and 434 to go.

TdcOgre
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TdcOgre » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Zazu wrote:Our constitution only protects us from such things if we file suit and pay to have the matter considered by our Supreme Court. T'ain't cheap.

The good news is that this has the potential to piss off enough people that we'll be able to afford the cost of the trials.

It's also going to be a boon for offshore DNS services; I'm signing up as soon as the bill passes.
Hi Bruce-

You might look at this

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/desopa/

if SOPA comes to pass. Sorry not to have written lately. Judy's mother passed away Thanksgiving day. She's the executrix of the estate and we've been busier than a one-legged man at a butt kicking party.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:40 am

delsdad wrote:Doesn't your constitution protect you against such things?
*snicker* It does, when you get government officials to whom the Constitution matters. So far by my count, there could be two of 'em, and those two never make it to Washington. No, I don't mean Washington State.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Isn't the Constitution that thing that's written on the toilet paper in government buildings? :confused:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:49 pm

No, Lasolimu. If they put it on the toilet paper, the Constitution would then mean too much to them. They would actually find it too useful for the things they do.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:24 am

If there's anything on Wikipedia you want to look up you better look it up soon. At 05:00 UTC Wednesday (12:00 Eastern, 21:00 Pacific (Tuesday)) the English-language Wikipedia will be blacked out for 24 hours in protest of the SOPA and Protect IP Acts. You can find information on this black out here.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:11 am

I just saw that the administartion has come out against the acts. I didn't read the article, just caught the headline. I'll have to check out the full thing later.