20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:51 am

Zazu wrote:WDW got the Cliff Notes version of Indy.
Wait, back up a second. So basically your saying that a motion based ride is the same as a Stunt Show? That's like comparing Fantasmic! to IllumiNATIONS (In that one is a complete fireworks show while the other is a broadway-esk type show)

Sorry, just a guy who has to correct anything wrong with Indy ... Er, see my site, you'll see why.

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:29 pm

coldfire409 wrote:
Dalisair wrote:Wait ... we got the cliffnotes version of Tower? I keep hearing ours is better!?!?!?
DL has no fifth demention which is the scene in the ride when the ride vechile moves forward. Also WDW Tower has a randomized drop sequence, when I believe that DL doesn't have the randomized drop sequence.
Rumor has it we're supposed to get randomizers this fall for DCA's Tower

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:34 pm

I heard we were suppose to get random sequences in 2006.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:18 pm

Stduck wrote:Yes I agree that your Pooh is better from what I have heard (I work DL's Pooh and someone actually thought DL's was better) But how can you say you have the better monorail or castle?
Monorail -- Disneyland has 1 or 2 trains and 0.9 miles of beamway. WDW has 12 trains and 14 miles of beamway.

Castle -- Disneyland has Sleeping Beauty Castle at 47 feet tall. WDW has Cinderella Castle at 197 feet tall.

Size is important ... according to the majority of my email!

Zazu

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:23 pm

IndyandMarion wrote:
Zazu wrote:WDW got the Cliff Notes version of Indy.
Wait, back up a second. So basically your saying that a motion based ride is the same as a Stunt Show? ...

Sorry, just a guy who has to correct anything wrong with Indy ...
Thought that one might get a reaction.

No, I wasn't referring to the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. I meant to suggest that Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur was the Cliff Notes version of Indiana Jones Adventure.

Despite using the same technology and track, Dinosaur being the lesser attraction because IJA actually has some semblance of a story....

Zazu

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:35 pm

Figured it was dealing with the whole CTX/Indy mirror deal.

My two cents on the new ride system for Tower at DL, I would say maybe next year towards the end/early 06. The whole fall window doesn't seem good considering it just opended and it would seem a little on the pointless side to go and change it that quick.

Now if the flow was so dang horrible that they needed to change it to get people back on it, I could see that...but like four or five months after the open? Meh, whatever.

Be interesting however to see what they do. Course they'll be working on both at the same time considering WDWs gets a new system every 4 years (I believe).

Tag line is the biggest thing I'll look for, gonna be hard to beat the whole "Good news...We made it WORSE" line for Tower 4

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:50 am

Zazu wrote:
Stduck wrote:Yes I agree that your Pooh is better from what I have heard (I work DL's Pooh and someone actually thought DL's was better) But how can you say you have the better monorail or castle?
Monorail -- Disneyland has 1 or 2 trains and 0.9 miles of beamway. WDW has 12 trains and 14 miles of beamway.
I agree with you that your monorail system is bigger and therefore better, but you got your facts wrong. The DL system was around 0.9 when it opened up in 1959, but in 1961 the track was expanded to take it to the D'land Hotel. It's current length is 2.5 miles.

And they have four trains. They can operate 3 at a time, but they normally only operate 2. They can technically handle running all 4 trains at the same time, but for safety reasons they don't.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:49 pm

Dante101 wrote:
Zazu wrote:
Stduck wrote:... how can you say you have the better monorail or castle?
I agree with you that your monorail system is bigger and therefore better, but you got your facts wrong. The DL system was around 0.9 when it opened up in 1959, but in 1961 the track was expanded to take it to the D'land Hotel. It's current length is 2.5 miles.

And they have four trains. They can operate 3 at a time, but they normally only operate 2. They can technically handle running all 4 trains at the same time, but for safety reasons they don't.
Thanks for the correction. I clearly blew the length stat, but I'm surprised by the suggestion there are four trains.

Last I heard, one had been hauled off to Glendale for reverse engineering, and another had been cannibalized for parts. If DL now has three trains available, I'm delighted to hear it!

Oh, did I mention that the DL monorails are too short to stand up in and have no A/C? :twisted:

Zazu

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:30 pm

Zazu wrote:Thanks for the correction. I clearly blew the length stat, but I'm surprised by the suggestion there are four trains.

Last I heard, one had been hauled off to Glendale for reverse engineering, and another had been cannibalized for parts. If DL now has three trains available, I'm delighted to hear it!
Yes, D'land has 4 trains: Red, Blue, Purple & Orange. One may be in Glendale or Florida for modifications (I quit in 2002, so I don't know for sure), and the other may be missing some parts, but they still exist. They might not be able to run right now, but they haven't vanished into thin air.
Zazu wrote:Oh, did I mention that the DL monorails are too short to stand up in and have no A/C? :twisted:
They are too short to stand up in because we give everyone a seat, and don't force most people to stand during their trip. We don't have as high a passenger load as you guys, so we don't cram 'em in like standing sardines.

And you're wrong about the A/C. All the D'land monorails have A/C in the nosecone and tailcone sections. There is none in the main passenger sections - the weather is more comfortable in California, so we just have open windows... :wink:

But again, I concede that you guys have a better system. Not only have I ridden the monorails at WDW, but your guys were nice enough to let me drive one of the trains (as well as taking me on a tour of the monorail shop).

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:34 pm

Just to clarify I believe Orange is out of commission somewhere (I think I remember hearing it liked to throw break shoes) I have seen Purple, Red and Blue all running. Usually only two though. I am not sure so quote me on this. Ask an east sider.

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.