New turnstile technology being tested

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

New turnstile technology being tested

Post by avengador1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Today I went to EPCOT and they were testing some new turnstiles. First they affixed a special sticker to my AP then they coded it to me. Next I went to the new turnstile and touched the new sticker to it then had my finger read. The turnstile turned green and I was allowed in.
Here is what the sticker looks like on my AP.

Here is what the new turnstiles look like.

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: New turnstile technology being tested

Post by Mr. D. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:01 pm

And the point of this new system is? :confused:

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:21 pm

I've heard a little bit about this new tech. It makes use of RFID and sounds cool.
Mr. D. wrote:And the point of this new system is? :confused:
Probably to speed up going through the turnstiles. Problems with the mag stripe on a ticket can slow the line almost to a halt.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Shorty82 wrote:I've heard a little bit about this new tech. It makes use of RFID and sounds cool.

Probably to speed up going through the turnstiles. Problems with the mag stripe on a ticket can slow the line almost to a halt.
I don't trust RFID. Too easy for someone to steal your info without you even knowing.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Mr. D. wrote:I don't trust RFID. Too easy for someone to steal your info without you even knowing.
I would think that the only info the RFID in the tickets would contain is a serial number of some sort so no personal information could be stolen. Disney, and other companies, are starting to use RFID technology in a lot of things. RFID has been used for years to keep track of containers in shipping yards, to identify pets, is growing in popularity for toll roads, and many other uses.

RFID is actually a lot more secure than most people think. According to this article RFID credit cards never transmit your actual card number, instead it transmits a unique number for that transaction and does s using 128 bit encryption. Even if a thief was able to capture and decrypt the number it would be useless to him.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Probably to speed up going through the turnstiles. Problems with the mag stripe on a ticket can slow the line almost to a halt.
My money (and Mickey's) says it's about cutting the staffing requirements at the turnstiles. Less secure, but we make it up in volume!

Zazu

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Shorty82 wrote:I would think that the only info the RFID in the tickets would contain is a serial number of some sort so no personal information could be stolen. Disney, and other companies, are starting to use RFID technology in a lot of things. RFID has been used for years to keep track of containers in shipping yards, to identify pets, is growing in popularity for toll roads, and many other uses.

RFID is actually a lot more secure than most people think. According to this article RFID credit cards never transmit your actual card number, instead it transmits a unique number for that transaction and does s using 128 bit encryption. Even if a thief was able to capture and decrypt the number it would be useless to him.
I used to work for Burger King, recently they company set a new policy saying no crew can have cell phones due to someone using a device that looked like a cell phone to steal customers info from RFID cards.

I currently work for Amazon.com. they use RFID in the Id badges for clocking in and out. I don't like it either, but since Amazon has a strict NO CELL PHONES policy to the point you pass through metal detectors and security to make sure, then I am not worried about someone having a reader in their pocket.

Also from what I hear (I think I read it on this site actually) that Disney will be putting all guest info on the RFID tags including name, CC#, Room number (if staying on property), DOB, ect, to help characters interact with them. That is information I don't want to give to anyone walking around the park with a reader in their pocket.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:47 pm

My wife liked the new technology. Her AP magnetic strip doesn't work all the time and they usually end up scanning it most of the time, when we go to the parks. The new system is go through security first, touch your card to the new turnstile, scan your finger and go when you see a green light. It also can handle up to eight people per entrance at a time. There were four units per side, on this entrance, and there weren't any barriers to go through. They will certainly need someone to make sure that people don't just sneak in. ;)

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Mr. D. wrote:I currently work for Amazon.com. they use RFID in the Id badges for clocking in and out.
The last company I worked for used RFID chips in the ID cards. They weren't anal about displaying badges inside the buildings so many people carried them in their wallets. I'd see someone approach an entry door, turn around, and jump in the air to wave their butt and ID card past the card reader to get in.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:26 pm

hobie16 wrote:The last company I worked for used RFID chips in the ID cards. They weren't anal about displaying badges inside the buildings so many people carried them in their wallets. I'd see someone approach an entry door, turn around, and jump in the air to wave their butt and ID card past the card reader to get in.
ROFL. That's funny.

Amazon is VERY anal about displaying your ID. I feel safer in that building then I would at the White House. You can not even leave early without security stopping you in the parking lot and asking to see your slip from your manager. You have to display your ID to enter the parking lot. If you are just picking someone up, you park in the holding area outside the parking lot. If you are a "visitor" you are ID'ed and given a time limited pass that only lets you into the secure visitor area. When we went for orientation, it was in a gated, locked down secure area surrounded by security.

Amazon don't mess around.