Top 5 most missed WDW attractions...

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Top 5 most missed WDW attractions...

Post by KingsIslander » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:45 pm

What WDW attractions do you miss most?

5. Take Flight: I know it wasn't the best ride ever, but I really do miss Dreamflight/Take Flight. The catchy song, the cool future city scene, and the pop-up book (which I never noticed, until recently, that it prominently featured the World Trade Center on the NYC side!) made it really special for me. I also have fond memories of the diorama of Paris. Far better than shooting laser beams at cardboard cutouts. I know that Buzz is more popular, but I really miss it.

4. Spaceship Earth '94: Sorry, but condescending voiceovers and a finale that belongs in the postshow have totally ruined SSE for me. In spite of the fact that the descent was somewhat outdated (but I'm pretty sure that we don't have voice-activated SMARTboards and automatically translating video calls yet), even just seeing mannequins is better than the current descent. My favorite part of the current ride is looking around for what they didn't wreck in the descent.

3. The Living Seas: Ugh. You can tell in the seacab ride that they had a tough time fitting the sets in between the ride vehicles and the old windows into the tank. Perhaps that was a sign that they should have used the tank more and cheap sets less. The speed tunnel is a joke. Also, I kind of miss the scientific theme. I have great memories of spending hours in there when I was a kid. I can't imagine kids in 10 years having such great memories of seeing some projections of Nemo... oh, and some fish in a big tank.

2. Journey Into Imagination: Words can't describe the Imagineering abortion that is JIYI. Last time I rode it, Figment's head was falling off in one of the scenes. They just don't care anymore. Also, I don't like the hollow feeling in the queue floor where you can tell you're walking over the old Flight to Imagination turntable.

1. Horizons: I miss Horizons so much. Yes, it was a little outdated, but nothing that an updated Omnimax movie, some repainted props, and some updated music could have fixed. It was the ride that tied all of EPCOT together- Wonders of Life (exercise in zero-g), Spaceship Earth (birthday party scene), World of Motion ("With today's transportation, we're just minutes away from our kids!"), Universe of Energy ("Kelp is a tremendous source of low cost fuel..."), and the rest... so yeah, I still haven't forgiven them for that one.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Top 5 most missed WDW attractions...

Post by Zazu » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:30 pm

In no particular order:

* Horizons, or as I like to call it, Carousel of Progress II
This is the attraction that pulled all the rest of Future World together in one place. I wish it could have been built into Spaceship Earth and let Communications go elsewhere.

* Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Musical
Every show, I wondered if Quasi was going to hit that high note, and he did -- every single time.

* Journey into Imagination, the original
I don't have to explain this one here, do I?

* Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, just a personal favorite
If only for it being the only time a Cast Member ever asked me, ever so sweetly, if I would like to go to Hell.

* Dreamfinder & Figment, Benjamin Franklin, and the other Streetmosphere characters who helped define and give a personality to their areas. Today, the only survivor is Mayor Weaver, when he can be found.

Zazu

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:38 am

I find it impossible to limit this list to only 5. It was hard enough to limit it to 15. I really miss the WDW of the 80's :)

In no particular order.

15) Original Space Ship earth

14) Original Star Jets

13) Mission to Mars (I know this was replaced by AE which is also in this list, but I liked them both.

12) CV360

11) Journey Into Imagination (original)

10) Swan Boats

9) Snow White's Scary Adventures

8) 20K leagues under the sea

7) The original back lot tour. I mean the one from opening day when you walked back and they showed you stuff, then got on the tram.

6) Any of the versions of "If you had wings/Dreamflight"

5) Alien Encounter

4) Toad

3) The Original WED Way People Mover.

2) The original Main Street Electrical Parade

1) The Sky Way

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:34 am

In no exact order:

Original Journey into Imagination:
This ride defined my childhood, it was back when it was okay to dream and be inspired by the fantastic. Anytime I go on the Newest Joke of Imagination I pause to call Dr. Nigel Channing a murderer.

Alien Encounters:
I love this attraction, it was targeted to a slightly older crowd and had that edgy bit that Disney is just now getting back to with some rides. The attraction its-self was well done and thought out so that every little piece worked togther perfectly. While Stitch may be my favorite Character, this taking over the attraction was a giant mistake.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:
Okay we all know the problems the ride had, but the ride was amazing even with said problems. This always will hold a special place for me since it was one of the only rides at MK growing up my parents would ride with me together. It could have been updated, if DL could do it.. WDW could have too. No one in the world has a ride like it and I doubt they ever will.

Horizons:
Another my parents would ride with me every time. The ride was great and it really was the epitome of what EPCOT stood for and as others have stated it really pulled the place togther. Since we'll never truly know the reason for it being left to rot then torn down rather then re-built like other attractions it's hard to accept it's loss even now.

Honorable Mention:
Mr. Toads Wild Ride. Main Street Electrical Parade. Time-Keeper.

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:43 am

As with others, in not particular order:

Horizons - I agree with Zazu that it pulled Future World together. It was always one of my must sees.

Original Animation Tour - you know, the one that let you look down into a working animation studio.

Tapestry of Nations - It was my favorite parade ever. For me, Tapestry of Dreams wasn't as good, but I even miss that now.

Hunchback of Notre Dame - I loved the movie and this production managed to encapsulate it so well. Always great performances, too.

Adventureer's Club - Not sure if you just meant in the parks, but for me this is a sorely missed attraction.

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:51 am

I miss the Osborne Family Christmas lights on the backlot street with the houses.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kerbear135
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by kerbear135 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:12 pm

1) The original Journey into Imagination
2) the Backlot Tour when the houses were still included (I was really young, but I remember the Golden Girls house being one of the houses)
3) the Tarzan show at Animal Kingdom...i only saw it once, but it was very cool
4) the old ending to Spaceship Earth
5) Honey I Shrunk the Audience...it was old and outdated, but anything's better than Capt'n lamEO

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:42 pm

About SSE '07:

"Adults are interested if you don't play down to the little 2 or 3 year olds or talk down. I don't believe in talking down to children. I don't believe in talking down to any certain segment. I like to kind of just talk in a general way to the audience. Children are always reaching." --Walt Disney

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsibility to build new bridges of acceptance and co-operation between us; to create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." --Jeremy Irons

"Remember how easy it was to learn your ABC's? Thank the Phonecians! It's like the world's first backup system! And unfortunately taxes." --Judi Dench

Don't even get me started on the "improved" TTA narration.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:02 pm

DonutGoddess wrote:I miss the Osborne Family Christmas lights on the backlot street with the houses.
THAT'S GONE????!!!!

*sigh*

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Mr. D. wrote:THAT'S GONE????!!!!

*sigh*
The Osborne lights now go up on the fake New York city street. Just not the same, IMO. One year we went to a passholder event for the opening night of the lights. They gathered us all together on the NYC street and served hot cocoa and cookies and then made fake snow flakes come down. Then we all walked down the street. It was special.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]