Character Mishaps

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
ghostyroastytoasty
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Character Mishaps

Post by ghostyroastytoasty » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:19 pm

I'm sure all characters greeters will have this happen at LEAST ONCE!!! "Hey Goofy" ... And I'm sure you know where I'm going with this... Once they say that I always went and pet him and say "You're such a good boy Pluto!"

CT CM

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:29 pm

HUH? Elaborate. Please.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

wheelieman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by wheelieman » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:42 pm

I get it. They call Pluto Goofy. They don't know Ariel from the Sea Witch. They are just Clueless!

Dave[Hopefully I'm on target with this reply, otherwise I look clueless]

Im in California, Im in California! If you see me at Knott's, come up and say "Hi"!

^ Okay, the novelty has worn off.

Amateur Radio Call Sign KI6BVW

DLSweeper
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DLSweeper » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:06 am

Man! :lol: That happened in Toontown today! The mom was like: Go so I can take your picture with Goodfy. And the kids said, really sarcastically: It's Pluto, Mom!

"I have a stupid question for you."

"Can I have a map?"

"Where is the restroom?"

"Do you work here?"

ghostyroastytoasty
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by ghostyroastytoasty » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:15 pm

I'm glad some people caught that one... I told ya it happens all the time... And Suzie and Perla... Chip and Dale... They either don't know who they are or they get them confused.

CT CM

Raine
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Raine » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:52 pm

I have a similiar story, but this involves one of vending's finest new hires.

During training, the group was back stage by the balloon room practicing holding balloons. Jane (from Tarzan) comes walking by and the scene plays out as followed.

NH: Yo, what up Pochahontas?!
Jane :( angrily) I'm Jane!
NH: Yeah whatever.

I think I almost like the guy more....

Me: "Yeah, I just made a crap load of money today!" Gadget: "You mean 'crud load.' Me: Yeah, sure whatever.

lovethefuzzies
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by lovethefuzzies » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:26 pm

Raine wrote:I think I almost like the guy more....
That's kinda mean. Most of the people in entertainment are really nice. There are a few people who are stuck up and rude, but there are people like that in every department. She was probably mad because she comes back stage on a break and people still talk to her like she's working. CMs approach characters all the time (backstage, mind you) and ask for pictures with us while we're on break. So yeah, that's probably why she seemed snippy.

coldfire409
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by coldfire409 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:23 pm

From the people that I see all the time in entertainment at the movie ride they all seem to be very nice. I'm sure there are a few that are stuck up, but I like most of them. At one time I thought that I never would want to be a charater, but now I may. The only thing is right now I only want to do shows, and nothing else. I may perhaps at one time decide to go to charaters, after all right now I'm mostly doing gangster and bandit on the movie ride, which when the ride first opened was Equity. Now it's considered ops because Equity didn't want to operate the ride vechile, but for about 80% of your show you are acting.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!

Stduck
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Stduck » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:34 pm

This is kind of related to character missnomers

I was in the park with my family walking toward the castle (I think we were eventually going to the Matterhorn). Snow White is walking across the hub, some smart ass high school aged boys yell "Hey look its Pocahontas!" Snow White turns around and says "Where?", thinking Pocohantas was behind her. She turned to look at the boys and said "Me? I'm Snow White" We thought the boys were idiots but loved the way Snow White handled it.

:ducks: Look Duckies!
These are the rafts TO the island. Not AROUND, not OVER, not UNDER and not THROUGH. Thank you for riding T. Saywer's shuttle service please visit again.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 pm

lovethefuzzies wrote:Most of the people in entertainment are really nice. There are a few people who are stuck up and rude, but there are people like that in every department. She was probably mad because she comes back stage on a break and people still talk to her like she's working. CMs approach characters all the time (backstage, mind you) and ask for pictures with us while we're on break. So yeah, that's probably why she seemed snippy.
I can understand that, but here's the question I can't get a consistent answer to: At what point is it proper to address a performer as a character and when as a "human"?

Obviously these folks should be addressed in character while on stage, and out of character when out of costume. But where is the line? When they are wearing the entire costume? When they are wearing most of it? Only when on stage?

Most of the stage actors I've dealt with put on the character as they put on the makeup and costume. There's sort of a transition phase as they get in and out. I don't sense any sort of transition in the Zoo cast.

So what is the proper protocol for such? Or am I just being entirely too anal (again).

Zazu