Top 5 worst attractions at WDW

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
kerbear135
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Top 5 worst attractions at WDW

Post by kerbear135 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:05 am

5) Journey Into Imagination...I LOVE Figment, but I want the old ride back. I'll give Disney credit that their lastest version is better than the one before it, but that skunk smell kills me, and the Dreamfinder is way better than Nigel Channing.
4) Astro Orbiter...the cars are WAY to small for adults..my husband and I can ride in the same vehicle for Aladdin and Dumbo, but there's no way we can fit in the same vehicle for this one..and it takes WAY TOO LONG to get on this one
3) Dinosaur (or whatever it's called now)..that ride gives me motion sickness (and i NEVER get sick from rides) and it's not even worth the wait in line.
2) Stitch's (not so)Great Escape...I never rode Alien, and I love Stitch, but that ride is disgusting and dumb. Only rode it once, and that was once too many.

drum roll please...and the worst attraction at WDW goes to......

1) Captain lamEO...seriously..that is the WORST movie i've ever sat through on Disney property. It should have been left back in the 80s where it belongs!

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:42 am

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't completely hate Imagination (the skunk smell though- ugh) I want one of those lab jackets- seriously. I wish they'd sell them. One of my favorite souvenirs ever is when they had the little lightbulb stress balls that say "exercise your imagination' on them. I still have one and I love the silly little thing.

I think the lab coats kinda remind me of Muppet Labs (wish they sold Muppet Lab coats too!)

I haven't been to AK yet (I'm getting to it...really...maybe I just need to go with friends to make it worth giving up a day in one of the other parks. I ended up staying at the resort (unplanned) last trip and loved that but the park just doesn't speak to me so far enough to get me to give up a day at Epcot to go there (or the Studios, I spent a LOT of time there my last two vacation trips.)

I don't do thrill rides but I really do have one un-favorite only: (okay, two...)

Ellen's Energy Adventure, because I've gotten stuck on that ride more than any other in my whole WDW history for tech problems...)

and my personal 'worst': Mission Space, or as my family calls it, "Mission Hurl".

I am so sick of hating to hang around Future World because there are so many people who decided to ride it looking like they wished they hadn't had lunch first and are about to/or do lose it.

Nothing kills my vacation buzz like somebody puking...

and I really, REALLY miss Horizons *sob* the other day I was watching someone's ride-through video on Youtube and I forgot that There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow was used there before it was placed in Carousel (I know it was supposed to be the original song for COP but I grew up with "Now is the time" and I have such great memories of my grandparents sitting on either side of me, holding my hand and singing that song with me when I was too little to sing it without tripping over the words:

"Now is the time, now is the best time
now is the best time of your life
life is a prize, live every minute
open your eyes and watch how you win it
yesterday's memories may sparkle and gleam
tomorrow is still but a dream
right here and now you've got it made
the world's forward marching and you're in the parade!
Now is the time, now is the best time
be it a time of joy or strife:
there's so much to cheer for, be glad you're here
for it's the best time of your life!"

God, it's making me cry and YES this much disney trivia does live in my brain. Seven years ago today I lost my grandma and I can't believe it, I can still remember her and I skipping through the MK together like it was yesterday (and Wallaby can attest- the look on my face when we walked into MK and into the Electrical parade last year must have really been something...I felt like I was six again, instantly.)

And I also feel the same way about If You Had Wings.

That's my childhood, right there. WED way peoplemover, IYHW, COP and IASW.

I hear somewhere there is ancient family footage (on reel to reel) of me on IASW under the age of two- asking for my bottle.

This is why my family says WDW was established in 1971- and so was I!

thanks for the memories today- didn't expect this thread to make them so vivid- but they are.

sorry for the detour...

~bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:1. Camp Minnie Mickey: It's a sad little land. I love the Festival of the Lion King, but the rest of it is just meet and greet pavilions. How does that constitute a Land?
I witnessed the funniest thing waiting to get into the Lion King. We were all standing outside in a small 4 person wide line of people waiting by the door. A lady and her daughter comes up behind us and slowly the young girl works her way up one person at a time to the front of the line. Then yells at her mom to come up by waving and saying "Hey Mom, I'm over here, waiting for you". The funny part was that there were no more then 20 people in line at the time. I think they would have gotten a good spot even if they had stayed were they were. It was obviously completely staged and rehearsed. Gives you some idea the effort people will expel to beat the system.

Sorry to have gone off topic...now back to the previously scheduled...Everything I hate about Disney Parks discussion.

:goofy: :goofy:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Okay, so I've posted in this thread a couple times without answering the question in the OP's post. So to begin my list, let me ask you a question: How often does anyone here hear me cuss? For those of you who know me personally, you could probably cut off more than five fingers, and still count the total on one hand.

That said, there is one attraction that got that result out of me. That would be the newest spiel on the People Mover. To get on it the first time after refurb and be welcomed aboard, "The Highway In The Sky"... Oh, f*** no. No, no, no, no, no. No. No, no, no.

Let me have a moment to reconsider my stance... No.

I have to say, while I don't care for the ride itself on Dinosaur (though I love Indy at DL) I thoroughly enjoy what is put up on the screens when you get to the end, the security footage of Aladar walking around the halls of the institute.

Stitch's Escape could have been so much better. The problem with its predecessor Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter is that it was a fantastic teen/adult attraction in a kid/family park. Over at Studios it would have been awesome, and I am guessing it might still be there.

Ellen's Energy Adventure has fun parts, and the humor is, well... that of Ellen. The thing about that attraction that gets me is trying to put Ellen and Bill Nye together. It just doesn't work. It's like if you were to buy a Taylor Swift CD and there was a number featuring Adele, or if Bette Midler were to appear on a Katy Perry or Lady Gaga video. They have such different styles that there just wouldn't be any way to get them to fit together without one of them changing their style completely... And I don't want to hear Swift try anything but country (granted, that video of her rapping with T-Pain is kinda cute, though she sounded terrible) and Adele does NOT need to do country; she really has a sound all her own. To make Degeneres and Nye work together, you would have to make one of them change drastically, and that's not the point of having both of them play themselves. I like Nye for creating a show that makes science interesting to kids, and I have a deep respect for Ellen... I won't explain the reasons since there's no way for me to do so without sounding like I am saying things I don't mean at all. Suffice it to say, she just might be one of my favorite personalities that you see on TV.

I've never liked Primeval Whirl... I always get off in a bit of pain. Besides, at how many other attractions is the point that there is no point?

My last attraction... Well, the thing I hate about it is that it is no longer available. I won't say which one it is. Sorry. :( :o:

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:16 am

Journey into Imagination - Epcot like a acid trip?
why, you have some old guy dressed like the king of england holding a small purple dragon? whats wierd about that?

Corey

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:28 pm

I remember when I was planning my trip years ago to WDW, how all the guidebooks were saying how scary and intense Alien Encounter was.
Perhaps I was sitting in the wrong row. My dad and I were seated in the very back. I didn't find the ride all that intense or scary. I was actually disappointed. we didn't go back on it again because the first time was such a letdown.
I do like Stitch, but judging from all the negative comments about the ride, I probably will not go on if I ever make it back to WDW.
I love the Circle-Vision films and I wish there was one still playing at DL. Who cares if they're dated?
I was so bummed that they changed the Land ride. Bring back the original music and spiel!

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:36 am

The one part of the Stitch attraction I hate is when he burps the chili dog scent. That smell is nauseating.

Near Philly
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Near Philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:06 pm

Big Wallaby wrote: Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter was a fantastic teen/adult attraction in a kid/family park. Over at Studios it would have been awesome, and I am guessing it might still be.

Ellen's Energy Adventure has fun parts, and the humor is, well... that of Ellen.
Alien Encounter over at Studios? Dark, scary, movie monster sound effects. Sounds Dangerous :D:

Just watched a DVD of Universe of Energy. The Ellen refurb was to stimulate what had become a 45 minute snoozefest. I think it's time to refurb again, sponsor willing.
Love the vehicle separation and actual ride portion, not so much the rest.

5 worst things in no particular order:

1-Main Street INSIDE the shops, My first trip to WDW was '76 or '77. I know how it used to be.
2-DTD West Side. I consider it the PI, specifically AC, killer.
3-Crescent Lake water sprite rentals. Why? You can't open them up at all.
4-Aladdin's Magic Carpets. Totally ruins the Adventureland theming.
5-Camera centers in the parks. Primary function is Photo Pass order and pick-up. Secondary function is souvineer retail. And hey, some disposable cameras, SD cards and regular batteries.
(I might just be bitter. We needed a specialty battery because ours stopped holding a charge. I know, I know, back-up battery)

PrinceOfSka
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by PrinceOfSka » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:08 am

Mr. D. wrote:Eastern Air Lines decided to not continue it's sponsorship with "If you had wings" in 1987. It ran un-sponsored as "If you could fly" for about 2 years.

In 1989 Delta Airlines picked up sponsorship and it was renamed "Delta Dreamflight" and ran as such until 1996.

After Delta dropped sponsorship, it ran as "Disney's Take Flight" until 1998, when the attraction was closed, gutted and replaced with "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin"

To answer your question. Eastern Air Lines ceased business on Jan 18, 1991. Almost 4 years after it dropped sponsorship with "If you had wings".
Its funny, I just was talking about this transition and the perception of commercial flight through entertainment in one of my lectures the other day. (I teach history, this class was an aviation history class). I remember the Delta version from my childhood, specifically how bored I was. Ha.

I think my five would have to be:

5: Any Circle Vision! Might as well put in another shop, or even better a dark ride in China and Canada.
4: Stich's Great Escape - ugh.
3: Primeval whirl. This one is more of a personal hate, it caused me three pairs of pants in one summer alone. For some reason I always rip my shorts / pants on that ride - I don't even know how. I even gutted a pair of photopass pants, and I have always felt those to be pretty tough.
2: Elen's Energy Adventure. Dear God no more... please no more... and I am an educator...
1:Winnie the Pooh... That whole area of MK pre-renovation, and still the ride.

Honorable mentions

The worst decision Disney has made at WDW is removing the AC. I didn't mind so much about the other clubs, although when I lived there I did a few more than just the AC.

Although I think removing Snow White from Fantasy Land in this new update (unless that has changed?) may be the thing that makes Walt role over in his grave the most.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:26 am

I'm surprised that so many people dislike like the 360 movies so much. I've always loved them and go to the CHina and Canada movies every trip. I'd like to see some new ones. I'm the person in the theater always looking "backwards" or looking for details on the "off" screens that I've never seen before.

Just curious, what is it about them that turns you off, if you're one of the ones who don't like them?