Top 5 worst attractions at WDW

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Top 5 worst attractions at WDW

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:04 am

Rosie wrote:I thought the old one, sponsered by Eastern Airlines was more fun. I think it was called "If you have wings".

Rosie
You are correct. Originally it was sponsered by Eastern, but Delta took it over later when Eastern bowed out (or did they just go out of business?)

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:26 am

GaTechGal wrote:You are correct. Originally it was sponsered by Eastern, but Delta took it over later when Eastern bowed out (or did they just go out of business?)
Eastern Air Lines decided to not continue it's sponsorship with "If you had wings" in 1987. It ran un-sponsored as "If you could fly" for about 2 years.

In 1989 Delta Airlines picked up sponsorship and it was renamed "Delta Dreamflight" and ran as such until 1996.

After Delta dropped sponsorship, it ran as "Disney's Take Flight" until 1998, when the attraction was closed, gutted and replaced with "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin"

To answer your question. Eastern Air Lines ceased business on Jan 18, 1991. Almost 4 years after it dropped sponsorship with "If you had wings".

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:37 am

While there are a few attractions I don't personally care for, I think a number of them are well done. In trying to come up with a "Worst 5" I thought it should be ones that didn't seem like they were that well done for whatever reason. For what it's worth, here's what I came up with in no particular order.

Stitch's Great Escape
Tries to be scary and family friendly and fails at both.

The new Imagination Ride
Doesn't really capture the topic at all.

Kali River Rapids
If you're going to get wet, it should be worth it. This is inferior to other rides with the same technology that I've been on. Short and not terribly thrilling.

The Animation Building at the Studios
Not even a tour any longer, the movie with Mushu needs updating, and the activity area is mostly meet and greet as opposed to attraction.

Gran Fiesta Tour
I get that they were trying to capitalize on the connection between Mexico and Disney through the Three Cabelleros, but the focus of the ride is the characters -- not Mexico.

Honorable Mention: The Sorceror's Hat
I don't really consider it an attraction -- it's a store, but to me it mars the art deco design of Hollywood Blvd. I wouldn't mind it somewhere else. Yes, I understand that they are using it as an icon so it needs to be near the entrance, but it just jars me every time I walk in to the Studios.

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:08 am

turkeyham wrote:The horse trolly on Main Street- What happens if you sit in the front seat and the horse needs to take a code H? Nice picture to show family and friends. :D:
When ya gotta go, ya gotta go! I was an Animal Science grad student at UF. My graduate adviser had a carriage and like to drive horses. She told me how she took a friend and her daughter out in the single horse carriage and the horse pooped and farted at the same time and they got a little something extra out of their trip :x

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Odie
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Odie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Oh man, you guys are soooo right about so many of these...

Except Ellen. I <3 Ellen. :( Probably because it's the only thing even close to Old School EPCOT left. And I love cheezy and dumb.

Anyway, here are mine:
  1. Kali River Rapids - when the queue is more interesting than the ride, you got problems, yo.
  2. Stitch's Great Escape - though, to be fair, people would probably like it better if it hadn't replaced Alien Encounter. Obviously going from mental mindf*ck to Stitch is going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths.
  3. The Backlot Tour - Nerfed into cheap movie tricks instead of an actual interesting experience.
  4. The Animation Building "Tour" - Too many emotions tied up with that one. It hurts too much to go through now.
  5. JII - NOW WITH FIGMENT!!!!111one - Abomination is too nice of a word.
I haven't seen (heard? experienced?) Sounds Dangerous. I'd heard so many bad things (and have good memories of...whatever it was called before, with the horror movie) so we skipped it entirely.

And I'll probably get flak for this... but Soarin' gets an honorable mention. The concept and execution is great, but seriously, it's time to update to a digital hi-def projector. That movie looks *awful* now.

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:But being a flying geek, though I never saw that iteration, I loved Dreamflight.
Because shooting at cardboard cutouts of aliens is so much more fun, right?
Bitter? Me? Nooooooo. :rolleyes:

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 pm

1. Camp Minnie Mickey: It's a sad little land. I love the Festival of the Lion King, but the rest of it is just meet and greet pavilions. How does that constitute a Land?

2. Circle-Vision 360: ALL OF THEM.

3. Dumbo/Magic Carpets/Astro Orbiter: How many ways can you dress up the same old carnival ride? Ok, Dumbo is classic... but what's the excuse for the others?

4. Dino Land Carnival: Ok I actually LIKE Primeval Whirl, and can see the appeal in Dinosaur... but wtf with the midway?

5. Backlot Tour: They neutered it.

8^P

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:18 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:
Really? They were kinda like Soaring 1.0.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:26 am

Mayonnaise wrote:

3. Dumbo/Magic Carpets/Astro Orbiter: How many ways can you dress up the same old carnival ride? Ok, Dumbo is classic... but what's the excuse for the others?

We just saw the Canada 3D movie again and I thought it was amazing.

I have only been on Dumbo as a small child and boy did I want to go on it! I think my parents fought over who would have to go on it with me and my mom lost!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:56 am

Mayonnaise wrote:1. Camp Minnie Mickey: It's a sad little land. I love the Festival of the Lion King, but the rest of it is just meet and greet pavilions. How does that constitute a Land?
Maybe not a land, but it has some of the best background music on property.
Mayonnaise wrote:3. Dumbo/Magic Carpets/Astro Orbiter: How many ways can you dress up the same old carnival ride? Ok, Dumbo is classic... but what's the excuse for the others?
I'm guessing it's the popularity of this ride that spawned the others. And that Astro Orbitor is no Dumbo. I get dizzy EVERY time. Not so much on Dumbo
Mayonnaise wrote:5. Backlot Tour: They neutered it.
Right there with you.