Talk about misunderstanding where a ride is.

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Talk about misunderstanding where a ride is.

Post by KingsIslander » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:03 pm

SG: Excuse me, where's Dreamflight?
Me: We don't have a ride called Dreamflight. Do you mean Firehawk? It's the big red coaster over there. (Firehawk is a "flying coaster", maybe he means that?)
SG: No, I'm pretty sure it's called Dreamflight.
Me: Okay, describe it and I can probably figure out which ride it is.
SG: Well, you sit down while the people sing a catchy song about Delta and you go by a big video screen.
Me: Um, that was a ride at Disney World, sir... We don't have anything like that here.
SG: No it ain't! It's here!
Me: I'm pretty sure it isn't... I'm really sorry, but I can't really help you...

I can't imagine the total misunderstanding it takes to think that one of my favorite Disney rides from when I was growing up (yes, really) was located at a seasonal park in Ohio. :rolleyes:

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Talk about misunderstanding where a ride is.

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:56 pm

I had a semi-argument with some friends of my mother and father. They, of course, were getting up in years, but still.

We were talking about WDW and the discussion got to Epcot. He said to me that he no longer goes to Epcot because his favorite ride isn't there anymore. I was thinking Horizons or WoM, but he continued that it was the ride that you got into and it lifted up real high on a big arm and when it got to the top it rotated around and you could see the whole park.

I had a tough time trying to figure out what he was talking about until I remembered that SeaWorld had a ride like that (I don't remember what it was called or even if it is still there or not). Anyway, I explained that I thought I knew what he was talking about, but that particular ride was located in SeaWorld. That got him even more upset because now he was mad that Disney would have moved it to SeaWorld when it was perfect right there in Epcot. I gave up trying because I didn't want the poor guy to blow out an artery over it.

:kaboom:

:goofy: :goofy:

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:05 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:I had a semi-argument with some friends of my mother and father. They, of course, were getting up in years, but still.

We were talking about WDW and the discussion got to Epcot. He said to me that he no longer goes to Epcot because his favorite ride isn't there anymore. I was thinking Horizons or WoM, but he continued that it was the ride that you got into and it lifted up real high on a big arm and when it got to the top it rotated around and you could see the whole park.

I had a tough time trying to figure out what he was talking about until I remembered that SeaWorld had a ride like that (I don't remember what it was called or even if it is still there or not). Anyway, I explained that I thought I knew what he was talking about, but that particular ride was located in SeaWorld. That got him even more upset because now he was mad that Disney would have moved it to SeaWorld when it was perfect right there in Epcot. I gave up trying because I didn't want the poor guy to blow out an artery over it.

:kaboom:
That sure sounds like the Rocket Jets that used to be at Disneyland. You'd get a great view of the park while riding it.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:08 pm

My dad and I had a similar conversation a few months ago when I announced to my parents they where going to Florida with my husband and I next September. Like it or not.
(Trust me, if we don't drag them places they don't go on vacation)

He was telling me we could "Go on that underwater ride with all the fishes, that one we both liked when I was little". I asked if he meant the living seas at Epcot. Nope, after about ten minutes I realized he was talking about 20K Leagues. I explained to him that closed nearly ten years before we even moved out of Orlando, naturally he didn't believe that. So it took another ten minutes to prove that it really HAD closed and was long gone now.
He was rather disappointed but I told him that why they needed to come to Disney for a day or two with us, because so much really HAS changed!

:D:

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

Smile.Like.You.Mean.It
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Smile.Like.You.Mean.It » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:58 pm

At DCA I always have people asking where the Shrek ride is, for some reason it's a popular question and they always look so surprised when I tell them Shrek isn't Disney.

SG: "Excuse me, do you work here?"
Me: looking down at obvious costume/nametag while standing in front of attraction with similar theme. "Uh, yeah."
:oweye: i thought that question was just a myth!!

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:55 pm

^ What a CG Movie that was a hit that WASN'T made by Pixar? Surely you jest. That HAS to be a Disney attraction! You're lying!

I always had fun @ Knott's when people insisted that our attractions were named something they weren't. Some would want to know where the Log Jammer was (ours was never named that, just "Timber Mountain Log Ride), I'd tell them to hop on the 5 North and drive for about an hour.

But you'd also have the other set of people who demanded to know why we took the singing animals out of Timber Mountain Log Ride and why the Mine Ride wasn't a fast runaway train anymore. Then I'd tell them to get on the 5 South and drive for about 15 minutes. :p:

The only ride I ever misunderstood at Disney was when a guy asked me where a certain ride he didn't know the name of. He gestured with his hand the movements of a see-saw. I asked him to be more specific (I couldn't think of a see-saw attraction off the top of my head near my area at all) and he blew up and stormed off, never finding his mysterious nameless see-saw attraction. :confused:

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:10 pm

That seesaw attraction could be Joe Cool's GR8T Sk8te in Camp Snoopy. It does have a seesaw motion to it. I used to work in Camp Snoopy, and other than the rides in the north end, Gr8t Sk8te was the only one I wasn't trained on. It was under construction when I was hired, and somehow I fell through the cracks when they were training people for it. The worst part of that ride is that lots of people and a few ROs got heat illness on that, because 1) the queue isn't shaded, and 2) the heat reflects off of the metal .

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:That sure sounds like the Rocket Jets that used to be at Disneyland. You'd get a great view of the park while riding it.
No, I have ridden the one I'm referring too. It is just a big two story disc that you go on that has windows all around it and as it lifts up in the air with a scissor like arm...it slowly rotates 360 degrees. It is a pretty tame ride all in all, but it is interesting. You can see for miles on it. I used to always look to see if I could see part of WDW from it, but never could...don't know why...I should have been able to see it from there. I was probably always looking in the wrong direction.

:goofy: :goofy:

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:22 pm

felinefan wrote:That seesaw attraction could be Joe Cool's GR8T Sk8te in Camp Snoopy. It does have a seesaw motion to it. I used to work in Camp Snoopy, and other than the rides in the north end, Gr8t Sk8te was the only one I wasn't trained on. It was under construction when I was hired, and somehow I fell through the cracks when they were training people for it. The worst part of that ride is that lots of people and a few ROs got heat illness on that, because 1) the queue isn't shaded, and 2) the heat reflects off of the metal .
But we didn't have one of those at Disney. :D: That's where I encountered that guy, not Knott's.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:No, I have ridden the one I'm referring too. It is just a big two story disc that you go on that has windows all around it and as it lifts up in the air with a scissor like arm...it slowly rotates 360 degrees. It is a pretty tame ride all in all, but it is interesting. You can see for miles on it. I used to always look to see if I could see part of WDW from it, but never could...don't know why...I should have been able to see it from there. I was probably always looking in the wrong direction.
I believe Cypress Gardens had something like that (and I think LegoLand kept it). AFAIK Seaworld never has though they do have the observation tower, a 2 story cabin slowly rotates as it goes up the tower, it rotates at the top for a bit and goes back down.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward