Zazu Returns to Disneyland

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Zazu Returns to Disneyland

Post by Zazu » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:51 am

Yes, it's true. I've been evicted from The Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management, and I am taking the opportunity to visit The Original.

SWMBO and I willl be staying in or near DLR from 11 to 15 September. I have two dinners and a lunch to schedule off-property, but the rest of my time should be free to visit the Parks and our SGT friends.

My immediate question is about lodging recommendations. The rules have changed, and WDW CMs are no longer entitled to cast discounts at the Disney hotels. Thus I would need a Disneylander to book me an OGB reservation to stay on property. I know some of you work nearby, or know other hotels to recommend (or recommend against). Know that "Princess SWMBO" demands no less than a 3-diamond rating.

So, where should we stay?

We'll get to when should we play later.

Zazu

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Zazu Returns to Disneyland

Post by Whazzup » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:42 pm

I can't believe that nobody at DL has responded to the mighty Zazu's request for assistance in obtaining lodging in Anaheim. Don't we take care of our own at SGT?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Mrs. Hobie will be running a recon on the Candy Cane Inn next Monday. It's highly recommended by DM.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:56 pm

I'd recommend staying at the Paradise Pier in the Malibu Suite. That is where we stayed the last time I was there, but it was a free upgrade we received when we checked in. ;)

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:00 pm

We're partial to the DLH, the refurb rooms are quite nice!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:01 pm

hobie16 wrote:Mrs. Hobie will be running a recon on the Candy Cane Inn next Monday. It's highly recommended by DM.
That's what I recommended to Zazu but I didn't know what the rates are. I was going to make him a good deal on DVC points at the Grand Cali but there were no studios available. Maybe he and SWMBO should just plan on sleeping in their car. :D:
Just kidding of course.

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:42 pm

PM Little Doll Claudia. She works at a local hotel and might be able to get you a decent rate.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:56 am

Will there be a Meet N Greet and a photo op with the IMFAMOUS Zazu, or he be hiding in the shadows?? I would love to meet and get together with Zazu!!

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:41 am

Since I'm a local, I never have a reason to stay on-property so I don't know for sure what would be the best hotels. That said, my recommendations are based more on location and personal walkthroughs.

If you can afford it, the Disneyland Hotel (especially since it's been refurbished) or the Grand Californian. Not a fan of Paradise Pier, particularly because it's not that much unique from other beachfront hotels I've been to. Doesn't feel very Disney to me.

Literally next door neighbors would be Best Western Park Place Inn and Carousel Inn and Suites. Both are right across the street from the main entrances for both parks.

I don't know how much of a discount I can get on these, but I'll try to get information when I get the chance.

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:35 am

Zazu wrote:My immediate question is about lodging recommendations. The rules have changed, and WDW CMs are no longer entitled to cast discounts at the Disney hotels. Thus I would need a Disneylander to book me an OGB reservation to stay on property. I know some of you work nearby, or know other hotels to recommend (or recommend against). Know that "Princess SWMBO" demands no less than a 3-diamond rating.
When did this happen? I can still book DLR Cast Reservations for myself via The Hub. Not that it means anything (there are a bunch of random computer systems that still think I work at DLR) but I haven't heard anything to the contrary until now.

As to the offsite places, the Howard Johnson on Harbor tends to fairly popular, and I've heard good things about the Hotel Ménage at the intersection of Harbor and Ball.