We know when you're lying to us.

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

We know when you're lying to us.

Post by KingsIslander » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 am

Apparently, word has gotten out that we tend to replace food or a drink if you say you spilled/dropped it. Actually, according to our handbook, we only have to replace it if we saw them drop it or if, in the case of food, they bring it back. It also says that it's a "customer service policy that can be enforced at our discretion". We can typically tell if someone is lying to get a free refill (we don't refill paper cups) or trying to get free food.

For food, we usually just tell them that they have to bring the food back, or at least the empty container (we tend to be *really* lenient on this, most places won't allow it unless you bring the food itself back). If we know they're lying (we can usually recognize the people who actually bought food from us), we simply aren't going to give them food. We can be fired on the spot for doing that. I'm not risking my job because you don't feel like paying for your food.

Drinks can be a little more interesting. Our refillable cup lids *do* have a tendency to fall off (the carrier is attached to the lid, and the lid doesn't screw on properly if you aren't careful), so we usually don't give them too hard of a time if they bought it from our location. However, if you're going to try to steal soda from me, try being a little more careful- I'm not going to believe you if you come up and your cup is 2/3 of the way full, and your friends are giggling while you're asking for it. You're just going to get more ice added to your drink. Also, you were in my sight the whole time, and I know you didn't drop it. Do they think I'm stupid?

I guess the big thing I don't understand is, since when is it okay to steal from us? I don't care how much you paid to get in, food isn't included in the ticket price, so don't think that it's okay to steal food since we charge a lot for it. We're actually being nice telling you no. There's a lot of times we could call security and your day at the park would be ending a whole lot sooner.

(sorry, I know this is a long post, but some stuff that happened today really made me upset about this and it feels good to get it off my chest)

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: We know when you're lying to us.

Post by Freak » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:53 am

Oh its the same thing here. I generally have no problem with service recovery either.

But again, some bad apples tend to ruin the whole bunch. One of my favorites was when a guest came up with an empty Pepsi bottle and asked to get a new soda because they dropped their soda they just bought...

But on the whole I rarely had a guest try and intentionally steal from me.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:23 am

It surprises me how many adults try to steal from us. A few days ago, this lady came up to my window and said "I'm picking up the food that my husband ordered." Unfortunately, we actually hadn't sold any food for about 20 minutes. When my supervisor told her that she would have to show a receipt or something to prove that she had paid for food, she flipped out. As usual, we're a bunch of "stupid teenagers" who have "no right to tell her she can't get her food". Even if they had ordered food, if you pay for food then leave and we call out your order and end up throwing the food away because you didn't pick it up (we usually wait about 10 minutes before throwing out, I actually think that's too generous), we're not supposed to replace the food unless you have a really good reason for leaving, because some people will actually buy food then leave to go ride a ride, then come back in almost an hour!

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:00 pm

thats because a lot of people have no sense of morality any more.

they seem to think because its a themed park, you should just not ruin their magic and give them something!

I think they should be shown the front gate when they pull that kind of crap.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:42 am

KingsIslander wrote:It surprises me how many adults try to steal from us.
I think most of the people trying to steal from you are adults.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

security officer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by security officer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:24 am

KingsIslander wrote:Apparently, word has gotten out that we tend to replace food or a drink if you say you spilled/dropped it. Actually, according to our handbook, we only have to replace it if we saw them drop it or if, in the case of food, they bring it back. It also says that it's a "customer service policy that can be enforced at our discretion". We can typically tell if someone is lying to get a free refill (we don't refill paper cups) or trying to get free food.

For food, we usually just tell them that they have to bring the food back, or at least the empty container (we tend to be *really* lenient on this, most places won't allow it unless you bring the food itself back). If we know they're lying (we can usually recognize the people who actually bought food from us), we simply aren't going to give them food. We can be fired on the spot for doing that. I'm not risking my job because you don't feel like paying for your food.

Drinks can be a little more interesting. Our refillable cup lids *do* have a tendency to fall off (the carrier is attached to the lid, and the lid doesn't screw on properly if you aren't careful), so we usually don't give them too hard of a time if they bought it from our location. However, if you're going to try to steal soda from me, try being a little more careful- I'm not going to believe you if you come up and your cup is 2/3 of the way full, and your friends are giggling while you're asking for it. You're just going to get more ice added to your drink. Also, you were in my sight the whole time, and I know you didn't drop it. Do they think I'm stupid?

I guess the big thing I don't understand is, since when is it okay to steal from us? I don't care how much you paid to get in, food isn't included in the ticket price, so don't think that it's okay to steal food since we charge a lot for it. We're actually being nice telling you no. There's a lot of times we could call security and your day at the park would be ending a whole lot sooner.

(sorry, I know this is a long post, but some stuff that happened today really made me upset about this and it feels good to get it off my chest)
dont worry people lie to me 99.9% of the time anyways

If you run, you'll only go to jail tired.

incontrol
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by incontrol » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:48 pm

The following happened at my ride last week:

(A guest is wearing a poofy red hat that he had won at a game on the midway.)

Me: Excuse me , sir, you can't wear that hat on the ride. It will probably fall off.

SG: No, man. It's cool. It will be fine.

Me: Sir, it is going to fall off and be a safety hazard. Please take it off.

SG: Come on man, I wore it when I went on before.

Me: Oh, really? What time did you go?

SG: 11:00am.

Me: We weren't open, sir.

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:11 pm

I keep thinking as I read these stories, "Here, have all the rope you want. Let us help you get it around your neck..." :cat1:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:38 am

When you offer something like that, it must be done in the passive sense:

Would you like us to help...?

Nah, you can offer that in any way you like, so long as it's done in a way that absolves you of any guilt.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:41 am

incontrol wrote:Me: Excuse me , sir, you can't wear that hat on the ride. It will probably fall off.

SG: No, man. It's cool. It will be fine.
LOL, I love that. The "nah, its cool" defense. Never works, but always makes the SG looks reaaalllly stupid.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.