How many engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

How many engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Post by hhsrat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:04 am

At my current work location, we have decorative (yet functional) chandeliers in the lobby. A few days ago, I noticed some bulbs in one of them were burnt out, and opened a work order. The next day, I notice that the chandelier is missing from the ceiling.

Yesterday, they bring the chandelier back, with a scissor lift, and attempt to re-attach it to the ceiling. 2 engineering cast get on the lift, raise it a bit, and stop to stare at the ceiling for a minute or so, while 3 more are standing on the ground.. The one "driving" the lift raises it up a bit, hits his head on the ceiling, and lowers the lift a few inches lower. Then they try to remove the ceiling tile next to where the chandelier was. They work at it for a few minutes, not making much progress, and I stop paying attention to them.

After a few minutes, I hear a loud crash ... they have finally managed to get the ceiling tile loose, and it just fell to the ground (nobody was injured). The 2 folks on the lift then raise up and poke their heads around in the hole for about 5 minutes, before lowering the lift and (all 5 people) walking away. About 20 minutes later, they returned, 2 people got back up on the lift, and they managed to attach the chandelier to the ceiling, and then, about 20 minutes later had it hooked up and replaced the ceiling tile, and left.

Why all this had to be done in the middle of the day, I don't know.

The views and opinions expressed in this post do not represent those of the Walt Disney Company. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Caution: The moving rubber line is travelling at the same speed as you.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: How many engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:36 pm

I think this calls for a new expression.

"You shouldn't need to remove the chandelier to change a couple light bulbs."

And as far as the middle of the day, well... They should do a show at Epcot like that.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm

rat, I am so laughing. Disney simply seems clueless at times, & on both coasts. :D: Best post I've read in a long time. Too funny. :hysteria:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:03 am

Well, at least they tried. Plenty of props from my attraction are broken or stolen (due to stupid guests) and have probably been missing for years. Kinda sad really. I guess I shouldn't mention the audio problems, or that we need properly working clocks for fastpass return & merge.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:08 pm

How can you tell if an engineer is using a word processor?

By the White-Out on the screen.

security officer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by security officer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:05 am

Cheshire Figment wrote:How can you tell if an engineer is using a word processor?

By the White-Out on the screen.
lol

If you run, you'll only go to jail tired.

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:37 pm

hhsrat wrote:At my current work location, we have decorative (yet functional) chandeliers in the lobby. A few days ago, I noticed some bulbs in one of them were burnt out, and opened a work order. The next day, I notice that the chandelier is missing from the ceiling.

Yesterday, they bring the chandelier back, with a scissor lift, and attempt to re-attach it to the ceiling. 2 engineering cast get on the lift, raise it a bit, and stop to stare at the ceiling for a minute or so, while 3 more are standing on the ground.. The one "driving" the lift raises it up a bit, hits his head on the ceiling, and lowers the lift a few inches lower. Then they try to remove the ceiling tile next to where the chandelier was. They work at it for a few minutes, not making much progress, and I stop paying attention to them.

After a few minutes, I hear a loud crash ... they have finally managed to get the ceiling tile loose, and it just fell to the ground (nobody was injured). The 2 folks on the lift then raise up and poke their heads around in the hole for about 5 minutes, before lowering the lift and (all 5 people) walking away. About 20 minutes later, they returned, 2 people got back up on the lift, and they managed to attach the chandelier to the ceiling, and then, about 20 minutes later had it hooked up and replaced the ceiling tile, and left.

Why all this had to be done in the middle of the day, I don't know.

I hate it when I have to remove the entire light fixture to replace a few bulbs. If only there was a way to just change the bulbs...

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Mr. D. wrote:I hate it when I have to remove the entire light fixture to replace a few bulbs. If only there was a way to just change the bulbs...
Let's be fair here. It wasn't just a bulb or two that was out. Exactly one third of the bulbs all went dark at the same time, which suggests that it was a wiring problem in the fixture.

Today, one bulb went dark in an identical fixture and one guy with a stepladder fixed it within 20 minutes of the report having been made.

I know these guys. They are not morons. I don't know what was wrong with that first fixture, but I'll take it on credit that it needed more than one man to effect a repair.

Six, not so sure.

Zazu

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Zazu wrote:Let's be fair here. It wasn't just a bulb or two that was out. Exactly one third of the bulbs all went dark at the same time, which suggests that it was a wiring problem in the fixture.

Today, one bulb went dark in an identical fixture and one guy with a stepladder fixed it within 20 minutes of the report having been made.

I know these guys. They are not morons. I don't know what was wrong with that first fixture, but I'll take it on credit that it needed more than one man to effect a repair.

Six, not so sure.
Ah ok. That makes sense.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:13 am

Zazu wrote:They are not morons. I don't know what was wrong with that first fixture, but I'll take it on credit that it needed more than one man to effect a repair.
It was the "middle of the day" part that had me scratching my head. I suppose it could be viewed as upping the entertainment factor. :wizard: