Bye-Bye to TRON-o-Rail

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Bye-Bye to TRON-o-Rail

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Monorail_Red wrote:Voltage and amperage may be the same, but the WDW system's power grid obviously has a much higher wattage capacity.
That would be an incorrect assumption. The three are interrelated as in V x A = W, W / V = A, or W / A = V.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Post by Monorail_Red » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:56 pm

hobie16 wrote:That would be an incorrect assumption. The three are interrelated as in V x A = W, W / V = A, or W / A = V.
I can't think of the proper terminology, I'm no electrical engineer, but there's definitely something different between the 2 systems.

Regards,
Monorail_Red

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:05 am

hobie16 wrote:I'll tell them to speak to Ernie in Portuguese only. :D:
Oh PLEASE do. :D: :D: Ernie still can't figure out who you are. ;) Am having such fun with this one. :cool:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am

Main Streeter wrote:Oh PLEASE do. :D: :D: Ernie still can't figure out who you are. ;) Am having such fun with this one. :cool:
I am a Fig Newton of his imagination.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:02 am

Main Streeter wrote:We all had a most amazing time! I had forgotten abt the lift. Very cool. BW, you never really told me ktulu was absolutely WONDERFUL! Why did I even stress? :rolleyes: Thanks for paving. :cool:
I'm slumming with Kman after Flag Retreat today. :) DM, ktulu & family,Susan & I will proudly watch Ernie haul down our American Flag and honor America as only Ernie can. :usflag: Pixs your way.
Wow, what a great time! Will post picture only if I have everyone's permission. A very special day :)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:17 pm

hobie16 wrote:I am a Fig Newton of his imagination.
LOL. Oh ya, like this remark will help. :D:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Monorail_Red wrote:The WDW system's power grid obviously has a much higher wattage capacity.
hobie16 wrote:That would be an incorrect assumption. The three are interrelated as in V x A = W, W / V = A, or W / A = V.
Monorail_Red wrote:I can't think of the proper terminology, I'm no electrical engineer, but there's definitely something different between the 2 systems.
I am an electrical engineer; perhaps I can help.

First, both systems are powered from 600V DC.

Second, the amperage on the WDW network is a bit higher on account of the heavier trains and AC load. The DL monorails could probably be upgraded with better AC by putting larger or more contactors on the rail. Might need a larger rail or more feeders, that would take some calculation.

Finally, the power rating of the *system* is higher at WDW because there are more electrical blocks to supply the rails. This, plus an operating procedure that keeps more than one train from entering a power block at the same time keeps the number of trains/feeder to less than one. More blocks, thus more system power capacity, despite having the same voltage and nearly the same amperage.

Any questions? Or are we ready for the quiz?

Zazu

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Zazu wrote:I am an electrical engineer; perhaps I can help.

First, both systems are powered from 600V DC.

Second, the amperage on the WDW network is a bit higher on account of the heavier trains and AC load. The DL monorails could probably be upgraded with better AC by putting larger or more contactors on the rail. Might need a larger rail or more feeders, that would take some calculation.

Finally, the power rating of the *system* is higher at WDW because there are more electrical blocks to supply the rails. This, plus an operating procedure that keeps more than one train from entering a power block at the same time keeps the number of trains/feeder to less than one. More blocks, thus more system power capacity, despite having the same voltage and nearly the same amperage.

Any questions? Or are we ready for the quiz?
Sure...but what if the "D" cell battery goes dead and one of the hamsters falls off it's wheel. What then, Mr. Engineer, what then?

:goofy: :goofy:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Sure...but what if the "D" cell battery goes dead and one of the hamsters falls off it's wheel. What then, Mr. Engineer, what then?
don't worry, they use rats, not hamsters.
rats have more power force per paw.

Corey

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Sure...but what if the "D" cell battery goes dead and one of the hamsters falls off it's wheel. What then, Mr. Engineer, what then?
They're bigger than D cells.

--- Matt King