The Disney Rumor Mill -Bye bye Magic Hat

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

The Disney Rumor Mill -Bye bye Magic Hat

Post by NemoRanger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:17 pm

I was chatting with a manager by the big hat this morning when she just told me that she heard the hat will be coming down after the fourth of July. I guess she just had it confirmed and decided to start telling people. I guess they finally have the right to use the orginal concept of the chinese theatre in marketing. I will believe it when I see it.

THe other rumor, now this she swears is a rumor but Disney is toying with the idea of charging castmembers for parking when we go to the park as a guest. We can still park for free obviously when we work. I am not sure how the heck they would enforce this since we go thru the gate at DHS and sometime MK (well in direction I go to MK I do). I guess the reason is Disney Transport is so good that guest are no longer driving themselves and the parking lots are often half full. I dont which managers are looking at the lots and when they are doing it. I often see the lots full of cars.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: The Disney Rumor Mill -Bye bye Magic Hat

Post by joanna71985 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:15 pm

For the Hat- I would be thrilled if this is true

For parking- I would hope they wouldn't do this! That would be crazy

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Augh, I hope the Hat rumor proves to be true! I always though that it was silly and blocked the view of the entrance to the Hollywood Theater down Main Street.

It's like the stupid Epcot wand and hand, it just needs to go! ;)

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:22 pm

(must go to board X and confirm) :rolleyes:
(or was it Z?)

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:04 am

I was so dissappointed when the Hat went up. It's not that it's a bad idea unto itself, it's just that I loved the look of the entrance to the Studios with Chinese Theater sitting at the end. And, while I understand that Mickey is beloved by so many guests, I was never as big a fan of the Fab Five as others. It has seemed like over the past decade, virtually everything needs mouse ears or some other reference to those characters. I enjoy the architecture and themeing for other things much more.

I hope it really is coming down.

BTW, what's the bit about the marketing angle? Did that figure in to the appearance of the Hat in the first place?

chartle
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by chartle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:22 am

WEDFan wrote: BTW, what's the bit about the marketing angle? Did that figure in to the appearance of the Hat in the first place?
It just another rumor that Disney had to put up the hat to keep people from taking pictures of it because of some odd legal ruling that they didn't buy those rights.

It falls under the "Why would someone do something so stupid or odd, well they had to for legal reasons?" type "explanation" rumor.

I'm trying to find the exact wording, but google only lists the OP's rumor not the older one.

Its like why is there a basketball court in the Matterhorn, well it was to get a building code variance for the height because you can build sports arenas higher so Disney used that loop hole. Not the real reason, the climbers had a break room there and it was large enough to put up a hoop and a very small court so they did.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/matterhorn.asp

kerbear135
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by kerbear135 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:27 am

I think I'm in the minority here, but I like the hat. I was disappointed that when we visted in May, they had constructed some stage right in front of the hat so you couldn't get a good picture of anything but the stage..hope they get rid of the stage if they get rid of the hat...

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:37 pm

kerbear135 wrote:I think I'm in the minority here, but I like the hat. I was disappointed that when we visted in May, they had constructed some stage right in front of the hat so you couldn't get a good picture of anything but the stage..hope they get rid of the stage if they get rid of the hat...
The stage only goes up for special events. It went up in May for SWW

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:22 pm

kerbear135 wrote:I think I'm in the minority here, but I like the hat. I was disappointed that when we visted in May, they had constructed some stage right in front of the hat so you couldn't get a good picture of anything but the stage..hope they get rid of the stage if they get rid of the hat...
The stage is definitly going to be coming down. I kinda think that this rumor started with talk of the stage in front of the hat is going down after the fourth of july and just like in that telephone game some people changed it into the hat is coming down.

goofyjoe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by goofyjoe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Will they be bringing back Sorcery in the Sky fireworks? :D: (Restoring the park to the glory days of 1990 and 1992, when I first visited. I still sometimes catch myself calling it MGM.)

Gawrsh, yah-huh!