Confrontation in the Star Tours queue

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Confrontation in the Star Tours queue

Post by Mayonnaise » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 pm

For the record I also had "Wood Shop" (with all the saws and the teacher with missing fingers) mandatory for both genders in 8th grade, and "Technology" mandatory in 9th where we learned drafting with T-Squares and stuff, and did the egg drop and things like that.

8^)

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:14 am

Zazu wrote:I guess I went to high school longer ago than most on this thread. Before I got there, no boy had ever been permitted to take Cooking, or any other home ec class. I advised the school that I would either be enrolled in the cooking class or I would give us both an opportunity to see how the court system worked.
I suspect you may have gone longer ago than me, but not by a lot. That was my situation. I, however, never even considered rebelling. I just accepted the way it was.

:bow: :zazu:

Wish I had had that gumption. Would've liked the cooking class. Even if my mother had been willing to teach me, she wasn't that good a cook. :D:

TeamUBR
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TeamUBR » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:29 am

I went to a HUGE high school in the 70's. 1000 kids in my class. Over 4000 on campus.

We had co-ed home-ec and shop. I was into music and didn't take either one. I was fortunate (?) to have a mom that was not a cook. (Despite what she thought) By middle school, we all learned how to fend for ourselves in the kitchen or we would starve.
For some reason, I have always been mechanical. Been racing cars since I was 15, so shop was a waste.

The ironic part is with 6 years of music in school and no home ec or shop, I don't play or sing anything now, but cook a lot and race sports cars in a national series.

j

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 am

Around here, everyone was forced to take a class that included cooking, sewing, computers, budgeting, and a shop type thing at some point. The class was 3 times the size of normal classes and divided between 3 different teachers and we rotated through to the different classes. I think I can thank that class for being able to sew, but that's about it. I learned more cooking in a class I took later(but mostly from TV :p :) , I already knew how to use computers, I learned to budget by watching my parents fail at it...and I'm not really sure what I was supposed to be learning in the shop like portion of the class, there didn't seem to be anything useful in it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:09 am

Jr. High I took "shop", which taught me useful skills that I promptly forgot, such as taking apart and rebuilding a lawn mower engine. When I attempted this in High School on one of my step-dad's, I got it apart okay... I made cool things like a step stool that still exists somewhere, and a metal tool box that is probably long gone. It had issues...

In high school I took "slacker" classes, such as child development. That taught me that one girl in glass had no problem with putting a condom onto the phallic shaped object that was brought in by the nurse teaching sex education. It also taught us that when the football player puts on the suit that simulates pregnancy it makes it very difficult for him to get up, and when they put on the pad that presses on the bladder, he had to pee. The other class was food science and nutrition. I learned that it was okay to take cokes into class, as it was a tile floor and not carpet. We cooked every friday, and the teacher made things during the week. Basically it was snack time. We also had a field trip to a grocery store (where my brother worked) to buy groceries for one of our Friday cooking sessions. I did enjoy our business law class, while not really a slacker class, I did very well in it. In our mock trial I was a defense attorney. We were chosen based on grades, highest was the judge, and then the next highest were the lawyers. We did awesome, my partner's dad was a lawyer. We reached an agreement ouf of court, which shocked the teacher when the prosecutors asked us. It never happened before. We only agreed to basically a slap on the wrist because there was a chance they could find our guy guilty, because he was! Good times...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:29 pm

WEDFan wrote: :bow: :zazu:
Just wanted to point out, this is the third time this has been posted... Today.

And, I guess, since I repeated it, the fourth.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:58 pm

shilohmm wrote:Could be. Although the first time I read that I thought it said "I went to high school longer than most...." :biggrin:
Actually, I did, but that's because I started high school classes while I was still technically in elementary school. Started college early the same way. Helped me get to that "What the hell do I do now?" phase almost two years sooner!

Zazu

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:02 pm

WEDFan wrote: :bow: :zazu:
Big Wallaby wrote:Just wanted to point out, this is the third time this has been posted... Today.

And, I guess, since I repeated it, the fourth.
Not a problem. I can withstand a surprisingly large amount of worship without harm.

Zazu

Malpass93
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Malpass93 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Lasolimu wrote:I really hated my high school graduating class. I worked hard to maintain good grades and actually learn things while in school while there were a number of students that just didn't care. Some of these kids were borderline bragging about how many classes they were failing and I think some may have turned it into a competition to see who could fail the most. :eek: Cut to graduation night, every single one of them got a diploma that day with no distinction between those that worked hard and did well and those that were utter failures. :mad:

And people wonder why I have problems with the public education system in America.
Replace 'America' with 'England' and you have another carbon copy case study, sadly. To be fair I work reasonably hard to get B-grades but I know that the extra work wouldn't result in an A, I don't have those skills.

But certainly from Years 7-11 (same as grades 7-11), there were loads of these people wearing their failure with honour.
PatchOBlack wrote:In regards to there being no distinction between those who got high marks and those who squeaked by at graduation: While I can understand being upset at those who deliberately did the minimum possible work, but some students work very hard just to get that "C" average. Should they be shamed for not having the same skill as those who get all A's?
Oh hi there. Well quite often I feel inadequate compared to those who get A's with minimal effort but that's just the way it is I suppose.

Maybe someday I'll be a CM...

Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, United Kingdom...

accioetoile
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by accioetoile » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:31 am

I don't come to these boards that often anymore, mainly because I no longer work at Disney regularly, and I tend to miss it a lot when I read about it. But I'm planning a trip soon, and decided to look around.

This post upset me, I'm not going to lie. I was a problem child in high school, failed almost every English class from 9th-12th grade. Not because I wasn't smart. I was. Every paper I bothered writing, I would receive an A on it. The problem was I didn't feel like writing them. Not because I was a bad kid. It was because I was bored. In middle school, I had some problems with a certain teacher (mainly my speaking out in class when something wasn't fair, like how the kid behind me would hit me, and she refused to move my seat), and because of those problems the teacher placed me in lower level classes than I belonged for certain classes, when it came time to register for high school classes. Once I got to high school, I fell through the cracks. It took until 10th grade for my math teacher to realize I didn't belong in the second lowest level math class. He moved me up, and I instantly flourished, went from nearly failing because I didn't bother doing work I already knew how to do, to passing with flying colors. I also had to repeat 10th grade History, which, at that point, was the same thing we had learned the past 5 years, it had felt like. English, though, was another matter. No one caught on to the fact that I failed 10th and 11th grade English until it was time for graduation. I took some night classes the last semester, but because I was still down 2 semesters, I wasn't allowed to walk the stage with my class, and I was devastated. My mother and father talked to the school to see if they would let me walk anyways, because I had proof I was taking summer classes, but they still wouldn't let me. I gave up after that. It took me 8 years just to earn my associates. Why bother? I wouldn't amount to anything, just look at what happened in high school. If I had been allowed to walk across that stage, I don't think I would have given up so easily. I was definitely the product of a public school education.

But now, 3 years after receiving that associates, I'm back in school, going for my English major, and eventually I want to get my Masters in Library Science. And I just found out today, as a matter of fact, that I made the Dean's List. For the first time in my entire life.

I know that discussion was on the second page, but those few posts just really got to me. And I just really want to say I agree with everything shilohmm said.