If you can't read a schedule, I probably don't want to work with you

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

If you can't read a schedule, I probably don't want to work with you

Post by KingsIslander » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:19 pm

What is up with people showing up at the wrong times and days for their shifts? My park's schedules aren't that hard to read, they look something like this:
Easy to figure out, right? We keep having people showing up to work on the wrong days. They then seem shocked when they are told not to clock in and to go home, and are even more shocked when they receive attendance points for not showing up when they were actually supposed to. They then continue to do the same thing week after week... :rolleyes:

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: If you can't read a schedule, I probably don't want to work with you

Post by Rob562 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:22 pm

I could see *maybe* being thrown by the "week starts on Monday, not Sunday" for your first week there. But after one "whoopsie", they should know better.

-Rob

ectomstr
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ectomstr » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:38 pm

One thing i find increasingly difficult with my current role is that my schedule changes every week due to random third days off. but even with that I tend to check and re-check and re-re-check, etc. Not only THAT but with cellphones nowadays, it should be rather EASY to setup one's schedule on it. I do so EVERY week.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:22 am

If you think that's annoying, try getting back-to-back split shifts. :mad:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 am

And if you work for any company that uses a combination of CDS, SAP, Workbrain and the like, you should print out that schedule. Many times when it would have saved my butt, and many more when it did.

My favorite was the no-shows I got in buses AFTER I transferred to Safari.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:And if you work for any company that uses a combination of CDS, SAP, Workbrain and the like, you should print out that schedule. Many times when it would have saved my butt, and many more when it did.

My favorite was the no-shows I got in buses AFTER I transferred to Safari.
True dat!

I came back from a vacation once only to be called into the office for a termination interview on account of six consecutive no-call, no-shows.

"Ah, but I have here a copy of my vacation requests stamped 'APPROVED'. And look! It even has your very own signature upon it!"

"Um... er... so it does. Okay, never mind, go start work."

Sweet, that was, very sweet indeed.

Zazu

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 pm

I've gotten a no call/no show from a location which I have never worked in. It wasn't even in my department.

The "week starts on Monday" thing is stressed during training, and the schedule sheets we get to write down our schedules (we can't see them online, there's one copy kept at our location and one copy kept in the department office) have it in Monday-Sunday order. So, even that shouldn't be confusing...

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Spideyfreak
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Spideyfreak » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:38 pm

Meh. I got screwed yesterday/today. Our schedule comes out on Friday. Since I was not scheduled to work on Friday and Saturday, I had made plans to go out of state. So knowing that I was not going to make it into the store to get my schedule, I called and asked the supervisor to tell me what time I was supposed to come in Sunday. Done it before, never been a problem. He told me 4pm-9pm, Grocery Clerk.

I come in at 4,pm and get yelled at for being two hours late. Manager says I was supposed to work 2pm-8pm in Meat Dept. The supervisor gave me the wrong schedule. Wonderful.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:12 pm

I run into this working in Health Care constantly.

They will edit and alter your schedule, without asking or they "think they called her and she said okay" when I've done no such thing. At the begining of every month, we get a copy of our schedule printed and mailed. I hold onto this thing like it's gold, when they inadvertently call and demand to know where I am/why aren't you HERE?! I produce my copy of the schedule and point out, it's NOT LISTED so I'm not doing it.

I've had the vacation issue too. I'll be 600 miles away and work will call, tell me I'm suppose to be at "So-And-Sos". No, I'm on vacation this week. I have a copy of the approval and so do you. Go look it up, I'll be back on Friday.

I also keep meticulous records on my computer and in a hard copy planner which has proven more then once at work that they made the mistake. Not myself which is vastly satisfying. You go into the office, they're all set to write you up or fire you.. produce the proper papers and copies. Just watching them deflate amuses me to no end ;)

Then again, this happens every other month with this company.

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 pm

KingsIslander wrote:What is up with people showing up at the wrong times and days for their shifts? My park's schedules aren't that hard to read, they look something like this:
Easy to figure out, right? We keep having people showing up to work on the wrong days. They then seem shocked when they are told not to clock in and to go home, and are even more shocked when they receive attendance points for not showing up when they were actually supposed to. They then continue to do the same thing week after week... :rolleyes:
Looks simple enough. Disneyland's schedules are the same way, except they start on Sunday and (nowadays) use the 24-hour clock. (I do not acknowledge times past 24:00, and the schedules don't show times that way anymore anyway. :p: The line sheets do though for some reason. :confused :)