Now That's an Interesting Take on the Parks!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
WDWCM2010
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Now That's an Interesting Take on the Parks!

Post by WDWCM2010 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:24 pm

Walking through the parks yesterday I overheard someone on the phone talking to a friend or family member. I caught very little of the conversation but I did hear this being said: " They've ruined it, all the rides are horrible, and the parks they are just, destroyed."

Just goes to show some people take away something different from their visit.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Now That's an Interesting Take on the Parks!

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:54 pm

WDWCM2010 wrote:Walking through the parks yesterday I overheard someone on the phone talking to a friend or family member. I caught very little of the conversation but I did hear this being said: " They've ruined it, all the rides are horrible, and the parks they are just, destroyed."

Just goes to show some people take away something different from their visit.
Bet they were in AK! The buildings there throw many people a massive curve. What is supposed to look like that appears to some to be the buildings falling apart and the pavement looks to be in deplorable condition. It's tough sometimes to think out of the box.

:goofy: :goofy:

WDWCM2010
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by WDWCM2010 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Bet they were in AK! The buildings there throw many people a massive curve. What is supposed to look like that appears to some to be the buildings falling apart and the pavement looks to be in deplorable condition. It's tough sometimes to think out of the box.
This was in Epcot. :D:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm kinda reminded of the first time I went through DinoLand USA, and Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama. I remember wondering how in the world that got into a Disney park, and I was downright sad to see it.

It must have been a year before I found out that the theming is that way for at least a decent reason, though I still don't care for the midway games for prizes.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:35 pm

WDWCM2010 wrote:This was in Epcot. :D:
Well, I have to agree with them, to a large extent.

Future World has been gutted, and it should probably be renamed "Today World" for all the current technology and lack of futuristic vision left.

The biggest changes at World Showcase in the past decade is in which country is currently most offended by how they're depicted.

If it weren't for the food, which is occasionally excellent, we probably wouldn't go there.

Zazu

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:45 pm

WDWCM2010 wrote:This was in Epcot. :D:
That is a surprise!
Zazu wrote:Well, I have to agree with them, to a large extent.

Future World has been gutted, and it should probably be renamed "Today World" for all the current technology and lack of futuristic vision left.

The biggest changes at World Showcase in the past decade is in which country is currently most offended by how they're depicted.

If it weren't for the food, which is occasionally excellent, we probably wouldn't go there.

Wait...did I miss something. I was just there in October. Nothing seemed "gutted" in the sense that I think of gutted. SSE has just been redone, Nemo has been added to "The Seas" which even though cartoony at least woke the place up. There's Mission Space, Soarin and Test Track. A new cool station and with the exception of Wonders of Life...it is all in pretty good shape.

What is going on in World Showcase that is a problem? The only real change I have seen is adding the Ducks to Mexico, but nothing could really hurt that ride...there's never been anything there to hurt. Canada's new film is great, China has a "newer" film, American Adventure seems the same to me. France still has one of the best films ever...what else has happened? The change in the British Invasion perhaps?

:goofy: :goofy:

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm

My sister and I met up with a best friend. We went about 2 years ago during October. Has anything changed or has it stayed the same? My sister and I are coming up in early November. :)

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:56 am

Epcot is still my favorite, and I don't see how they've actually wrecked anything. Sure, I still miss Horizons and Figment, but I think Soarin' is a great plus, and the exhibits at the various museums in World Showcase do get updated and have some great artifacts. I would agree with Zazu that there not much has changed in World Showcase, and that's a shame, but I'm optimistically hoping that after the Fantasy Land expansion they'll do something big for Epcot next.

A person can dream, right? :p:

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:17 am

My family's favorite park is Epcot; I wouldn't say it is ruined, but I am a little disappointed with the turn of some things. For example, I agree that Innoventions needs more "futuristic" items so that it fits more along the lines with the original vision. And I would kill for someone to bring back the original Journey into the Imagination. I love Figment and the original version; I can't stand the current incarnation yet I am dragged on by my children.

And we love World Showcase. We like watching the shows in each country and the food and, of course, the shopping (my bedroom is decorated in items from the Japanese pavillion).

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:09 am

How is Epcot different? Well tell me where this could happen today.

April 24, 1996. It was my 15th birthday, and my dad had a conference at the Contemporary. As my birthday gift he brought me along, and I had free reign at the parks. I took a couple hours at one place in Innoventions. I don't know of any experience in Innoventions today that I could stay at for more than about 20 minutes at this point. But I digress.

What was this exhibit? Lasers. They had fish tanks with lasers running through, with particles in the water so you could see the beam running through. Then they had prisms and other light modifying structures that you could (gasp) reach into the water and move around to turn, separate, and otherwise manipulate the lasers.

I got talking to the Cast Member who was working there, and eventually he told me of plans that were in the works. One day, someone would take the CD player (then a fairly new invention as far as the market and availability to people was concerned), and they would change out the red laser for a blue laser.

Yes. At the old-style Innoventions, I heard about a technology that took another 15 or so years to be released, and we are still at some level in that technology's infancy.

On my fifteenth birthday, I left Epcot inspired for what was to come, and that I would get to have some part in that future.

There is nothing at Epcot, or any theme park, that inspires me for the future like that did. But all that changed when the name changed from EPCOT to Epcot. All that changed when the important thing was changed from inspiration to entertainment.

Where I am in my life, I would much rather be inspired than entertained. I would rather be encouraged to hope and dream than to sit back and take in a show.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?