My patrs dept (thought I would share)

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

My patrs dept (thought I would share)

Post by DragonFox98 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 pm

First, I am a controller. Think CFO...same thing, essentially.

Anyway, I get a call from one of our vendors early last week that an invoice has been outstanding since the beginning of March. I talk to the manager of the parts department and my A/P assistant. From them, I gather that the counter person only inquired about the cost of the parts, but never ordered them. My parts manager swears up and down we never received the parts. And my poor, overworked A/P girl has no PO in her file.

So...I call the vendor, explain the situation, and she promptly emails me the tracking info as well as emails back and forth between the counter guy and the vendor....where he tells them to ship the parts!!!! Grrrr

Then I talk to the parts manager again. Do you know what he actually said (now, mind you, only a couple of days have passed since he told me....."we never received the parts")? "Oh, yeah....they showed up on the counter one day, so I A-plused [added] them into inventory. UGH

Really?!? Really?!? So, when I asked you a few days ago, that didn't jog your memory? And I had even showed him the invoice with the parts info on it. I swear, my desk is looking good to beat my head against today.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: My patrs dept (thought I would share)

Post by BRWombat » Tue May 24, 2011 3:52 pm

DragonFox98 wrote:...

Really?!? Really?!? So, when I asked you a few days ago, that didn't jog your memory? And I had even showed him the invoice with the parts info on it. I swear, my desk is looking good to beat my head against today.
Or to beat the parts manager's head...

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:50 pm

DragonFox98 wrote:First, I am a controller. Think CFO...same thing, essentially.
A couple of companies I worked for fired their controllers but not for anything they did wrong. The first got shot because they wanted to bring in a Canadian to get his ticket punched. The second, because he was the only exec who knew his way around a computer and never let the rest of them forget it. And this was at a computer company.

Both were very good at their jobs, knew where every penny was, and when to bring it out of hiding to show a good quarter. In both cases, when quarter end came along, no one could figure out where the money was or how to close the books. Both guys were brought back on contract at some outrageous hourly amount. Both had quite a good time laughing at their replacements.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Tue May 24, 2011 8:41 pm

I've got $.32 in my pocket. Does that count? :confused:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Tue May 24, 2011 8:48 pm

darph nader wrote:I've got $.32 in my pocket. Does that count? :confused:
Not even! Keep it toward your next toast. ;)

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:06 pm

hobie16 wrote:A couple of companies I worked for fired their controllers but not for anything they did wrong. The first got shot because they wanted to bring in a Canadian to get his ticket punched. The second, because he was the only exec who knew his way around a computer and never let the rest of them forget it. And this was at a computer company.

Both were very good at their jobs, knew where every penny was, and when to bring it out of hiding to show a good quarter. In both cases, when quarter end came along, no one could figure out where the money was or how to close the books. Both guys were brought back on contract at some outrageous hourly amount. Both had quite a good time laughing at their replacements.

Believe it or not, that has happened to me. I wasn't let go, I left and, sure enough, they couldn't find anyone to replace me.....the companies came calling and they got: voicemail! :) (there's a reason I wasn't with them anymore)

I'll gladly help if I think it will be useful but, I swear, prior to my current position the last two companies I worked for had idiots as Presidents.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:07 pm

DragonFox98 wrote:I'll gladly help if I think it will be useful but, I swear, prior to my current position the last two companies I worked for had idiots as Presidents.
The Peter Principal will never die. :D:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:07 am

hobie16 wrote:The Peter Principal will never die. :D:
Amen. I've always believed that Murphy's Law was cynical hyperbole. After all, as an IT person, I am constantly envsioning things that can go wrong, and most of the time they don't. But, the Peter Principle I see as a real offshoot of human nature and hierarchical organizations. I've never worked in a place with more than a dozen or so employees where the evidence of the Peter Principle wasn't abundant.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 am

WEDFan wrote:Amen. I've always believed that Murphy's Law was cynical hyperbole. After all, as an IT person, I am constantly envsioning things that can go wrong, and most of the time they don't. But, the Peter Principle I see as a real offshoot of human nature and hierarchical organizations. I've never worked in a place with more than a dozen or so employees where the evidence of the Peter Principle wasn't abundant.
It's a little known fact, but Murphy's Law wasn't actually coined by Murphy, but by another man of the same name. :cool:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 am

Murphy was an optimist.

--- Matt King