The Kitchen Sink

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: The Kitchen Sink

Post by Zazu » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:11 am

Big Wallaby wrote:Simplest recipe ever. Rump roast, keep all the juices, vacuum seal, put in at various temperatures (still experimenting). I've been experimenting with different temperatures to taste the beef at all levels of doneness.
London broil, trim fat, put in a zip-lock freezer bag (not a storage bag) with half a cup of mushroom stock. Sous vide for 18 hours at 60C. Remove, and give a quick char on a hot griddle, rest (at least 10 minutes, 20 is better) and carve.

I serve this on various starcy beds with a reduction of previous braising liquids, with diced chili peppers and dehydrated onion. Sriracha is added until SWMBO dosn't think it's plain (or I reach maximum chili tolerance).

The zip-lock bags cost less than the vacuum bags, and there's no cost for the vacuum sealer. Adding a broth makes it less of a sous vide than a braise, but that's usually a good thing. The above timing is a bit past medium rare, adjust as needed.

If two people with different tastes want the same dish, cut the roast in half, bag it twice, and put the second bag in halfway through. You get rare, she gets charcoal, both are happy.

Now, ask me how I do burgers sous vide! :hamburger:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 am

Zazu wrote:Now, ask me how I do burgers sous vide! :hamburger:
Definitely going to ask; only thing I won't do is have the bun - avoiding sugar, bread, pasta, soda, all that stuff since October 6 - but nothing wrong with the meat!

Oh, and as far as fat: If it's grass-fed beef, you actually want to keep the fat.

Do we need a grass-fed cow smile?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:
Definitely going to ask; only thing I won't do is have the bun - avoiding sugar, bread, pasta, soda, all that stuff since October 6 - but nothing wrong with the meat!

Oh, and as far as fat: If it's grass-fed beef, you actually want to keep the fat.

Do we need a grass-fed cow smile?
With grass between his teeth ??

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:

Actually, there's no beef at all in my burgers:
  • cibatta buns
    spicy mustard (Boma Mustard recommended)
    boneless pork chops
    sliced Gouda cheese
    spicy greens to taste
    cider vinegar
    shallots
    apricot preserves
    cheap pink champagne
Select and trim boneless pork chops. Place them in zip-lock freezer bags with sufficient mushroom stock to cover, and sous vide for six to eight hours at 60C.

If needed, mix a batch of Boma Mustard (recepie on request).

Shred a quantity of shallots and place in a cold saucepan. Cover with really cheap (not more than $10) sweet pink champagne. Heat to a simmer and hold until the shallots lose their crispness. Drain, cool, then mix with a like quantity of apricot preserves. You'll know when the ratio is right when it's neither jam with onions nor onions with jam. Cool.

Coarsely chop some spicy greens (mustard greens, arugula, even basil), and toss in a very small amount of cider vinegar.

When done, remove the pork chops to a cutting board to rest for 10-15 minutes. Place them on a very hot grill just long enough to get a char. Turn, and melt a thick slice of Gouda on top while the bottom chars.

Slice and toast a cibata bun. Slather the bottom with Boma Mustard; place the pork chop and cheese on top; add some greens; put a thick glob of the shallot and apricot jam on the top bun; assemble and cut in two. Toothpicks if needed.

Recommended accompanyments are Spicy Pear Cole Slaw (recepie on request), french fired sweet potatos with five spice, and a mix of tomato water and soda (add watermelon water to sweeten).

Alternatives to the bun might be lettuce leaves or purple and sweet potato pancakes (recepie on request).

The key to this dish is the combination of pork, Gouda, and apricot. All else may be sacrificed if this trio remains.