Refillable mugs

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Re: Refillable mugs

Post by delsdad » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:35 pm

On behalf of the BDOSGT, welcome mattdbower to SGT!

Have a beverage :beer: :pepsi: :rumncoke: :coffee: :biggulp: and make yourself at home !

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Welcome to our family!

I went to DCA and went to the new restaurant near Paradise Pier. My friend decided to get a refill on a souviner cup. She had to pay $4.99. I told her if you buy a regular drink and pour it in, you will save money. :eek: She did not listen.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:38 pm

*returns with a CO2 fire extinguisher, and sprays down mattdbower to put out the fire*

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:27 am

One of these days, when someone seems like they may be a troll, I will have to fill the fire extinguisher with helium or pure hydrogen.

Which just made me realize, we don't understand something important. Lasolimu, when you set someone on fire, what kind of fire is it? I mean, I assume you aren't breathing little wood chips on them... but I hope it's not something like napalm.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

LeonardKinsey
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by LeonardKinsey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:52 am

Hi All!

I think this is my first post here! Some of the CMs who post here regularly know me IRL, which is how I found out about the site. But I've been lurking because I honestly haven't had anything useful to add to the discussions. However, I've been thinking about this new mug system over the past few days, and finally posted my thoughts on my blog:

http://www.darksideofdisney.com/?page_id=10

Short version is that I can't see the cost of installing these across the park justifying the tiny profit increase. There are a small # of people who abuse the system, and soda is cheap. However, it's possible Disney might force Coke to cover the costs as part of a contract renewal. Does anyone know how often Disney renegotiates their contracts with 3rd party vendors?

It also seems like it'd be fairly easy to hack. ValidFill even sells disposable RFID tags and a device to program those tags. No idea how much the programmer costs, but some enterprising person could likely buy one, program tags with 1,000,000 refills, and sell the tags on eBay for $10/each.

Anyway, that's my $.02, for what it's worth!

Leonard Kinsey

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:59 am

Big Wallaby wrote:Lasolimu, when you set someone on fire, what kind of fire is it? I mean, I assume you aren't breathing little wood chips on them... but I hope it's not something like napalm.
It would probably be methane. Peeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:18 am

LeonardKinsey wrote:It also seems like it'd be fairly easy to hack. ValidFill even sells disposable RFID tags and a device to program those tags. No idea how much the programmer costs, but some enterprising person could likely buy one, program tags with 1,000,000 refills, and sell the tags on eBay for $10/each.
It depends on what data is stored on the tag. I doubt it would be a "refills remaining" number. More likely either a unique identifier that would be check against a database of active cups every time it is scanned, or an encoded date with some check data included so it would be hard to fake. Either would prevent spoofing, or at least make it difficult and unprofitable.

Glad to have you posting, Leonard!

:sgthello:

:D: :D: :D:

If you've been lurking long, you know that you will now be visited by our resident dragon and a representative of the beverage committee. We apologize in advance (but are not responsible or liable) for any smoke or fire damage or intoxication that may result.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

LeonardKinsey
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by LeonardKinsey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:34 am

BRWombat wrote:It depends on what data is stored on the tag. I doubt it would be a "refills remaining" number. More likely either a unique identifier that would be check against a database of active cups every time it is scanned
--Yeah, the thought occurred to me that it could just be a serial number, and scanning the RFID queries a database for that #. In that case you'd have to hack the database, which is obviously much more difficult! However, in that case why not just use a less-expensive barcode scanner?

Also, according to ValidFill's website, the following info is stored on the chip:

Cup Type (Hot or Cold)
Cup Size (in Ounces)
Company
Location Purchased
Number of Times Used
Number of Refills Remaining (Date or Specific #)
Time of Last Use

Whether this is a semantics issue, and the chip just references this info from a database is up for debate. What I'd really love is for someone to get one of the new cups and hack the RFID data with a scanner and a program like RF-Dump (http://www.rf-dump.org/). That would confirm once and for all what was stored on the chip, including whether any identifying/sensitive guest info was on there.
BRWombat wrote: Glad to have you posting, Leonard!

If you've been lurking long, you know that you will now be visited by our resident dragon and a representative of the beverage committee. We apologize in advance (but are not responsible or liable) for any smoke or fire damage or intoxication that may result.
Thanks, glad to be here! Can't wait for the dragon visit! LOL!

:D:

Leonard Kinsey
http://www.darksideofdisney.com

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:39 am

Greetings LeonardKinsey, I am the resident dragon and would like to offer you a very warm* welcome to that slice of the internet we call SGT. This website contains threads with quick twists and turns and I would like to advise you to not try too hard to keep up with them. Please keep your hands, arms, and legs safely inside the website at all times and enjoy your stay.

*this instance of warm is actually hot**... very hot

**this instance of hot means that you are now literally on fire, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

LeonardKinsey
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by LeonardKinsey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:50 am

Hooray!

And in the spirit of the site, here's something completely unrelated that I'm reading in another tab:

http://dreemfinder.wordpress.com

Dreamfinder's blog! Really fascinating reading so far. This guy should totally stop posting all his stories on the blog and write a best-selling memoir instead!

Leonard Kinsey
http://www.darksideofdisney.com