Refillable mugs

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Refillable mugs

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 am

hobie16 wrote:Got a link?
What???!!! You are an I T guy & much brighter than I. Go fetch. This was discussed yrs. ago on SGT board. I'll trudge to Google after I mail something. "Got a link?" Get real. :rolleyes: :D:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:47 am

Zazu wrote:Well, short version = Guests are Stupid.

... See short version above.
Is there some reason you wanted me to read that four times? :D:

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

LeonardKinsey
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by LeonardKinsey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:49 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Disney is aware of the abuses and is attempting to find a way to stop it. Do you think that will stop it? Maybe, but it won't be for lack of trying on the public's part.
Exactly. So essentially they're just making it harder for Guests to scam the system, but people will still find a way. The issues I have with the new mugs are a) it doesn't acknowledge WHY people are trying to scam the system in the first place (i.e., some Guests think refillable mugs are too expensive), and b) it makes it more difficult for non-scammers to have a pleasant, hassle-free vacation. But, whatever. It's Disney's money to waste, and Disney's Guests to piss off. I'm just glad I don't work in Concessions or Guest Services.
Zazu wrote:Well, short version = Guests are Stupid.
LOL, yeah! When I thought more about people trying to scan barcode attached to a cup possibly filled with liquid I realized that wouldn't be such a good idea!

So I emailed ValidFill with a few questions, posing as a potential vendor. Their public email address bounced back - said it didn't exist. I found an address for their main rep and emailed him, but he hasn't written me back yet.....

Leonard Kinsey
http://www.darksideofdisney.com

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 pm

If you ever have an SG complain about the cost of soda, etc., you can always remind them that if people weren't always trying to scam the parks, things would be alot cheaper. See, there's this thing called "inventory", and the original reason for the barcodes was not only to track the amount of inventory in the back room, but also to help vendors catch instances of "shrinkage", AKA shoplifting and employee theft. Don't be surprised if you get a.) a dumb look from the SG, or b.) vehement protests that they didn't/don't do that when you explain this to them. They either can't wrap what few brain cells around such a concept--trust me, I've run across my fair share of people like that--or they think you're accusing them of being a thief. Makes you wonder about those that fall under b.)--must be guilty. As Shakespeare once said, "Methinks he doth protest too much."

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 pm

felinefan wrote:If you ever have an SG complain about the cost of soda, etc., you can always remind them that if people weren't always trying to scam the parks, things would be alot cheaper. See, there's this thing called "inventory", and the original reason for the barcodes was not only to track the amount of inventory in the back room, but also to help vendors catch instances of "shrinkage", AKA shoplifting and employee theft. Don't be surprised if you get a.) a dumb look from the SG, or b.) vehement protests that they didn't/don't do that when you explain this to them. They either can't wrap what few brain cells around such a concept--trust me, I've run across my fair share of people like that--or they think you're accusing them of being a thief. Makes you wonder about those that fall under b.)--must be guilty. As Shakespeare once said, "Methinks he doth protest too much."
I never think it's a good idea to approach SGs to talk about "Shrinkage" :D:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 am

DisneyMom wrote:I never think it's a good idea to approach SGs to talk about "Shrinkage" :D:
Especially in an unheated swimming pool ! :twisted:

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:28 am

felinefan wrote:If you ever have an SG complain about the cost of soda, etc., you can always remind them that if people weren't always trying to scam the parks, things would be alot cheaper. See, there's this thing called "inventory", and the original reason for the barcodes was not only to track the amount of inventory in the back room, but also to help vendors catch instances of "shrinkage", AKA shoplifting and employee theft. Don't be surprised if you get a.) a dumb look from the SG, or b.) vehement protests that they didn't/don't do that when you explain this to them. They either can't wrap what few brain cells around such a concept--trust me, I've run across my fair share of people like that--or they think you're accusing them of being a thief. Makes you wonder about those that fall under b.)--must be guilty. As Shakespeare once said, "Methinks he doth protest too much."
Truer words never spoken. I so totally agree with you on these points.
LeonardKinsey wrote:Exactly. So essentially they're just making it harder for Guests to scam the system, but people will still find a way.
And I'm sure Disney will have a solution to said people still finding ways to scam the system.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:46 am

LeonardKinsey wrote:Exactly. So essentially they're just making it harder for Guests to scam the system, but people will still find a way. The issues I have with the new mugs are a) it doesn't acknowledge WHY people are trying to scam the system in the first place (i.e., some Guests think refillable mugs are too expensive), and b) it makes it more difficult for non-scammers to have a pleasant, hassle-free vacation. But, whatever. It's Disney's money to waste, and Disney's Guests to piss off. I'm just glad I don't work in Concessions or Guest Services.
I think the "why" shouldn't be overthought. People do it because they think they can. Everything else is just rationalization on their part. Basically, whenever there is a big pool of something people want, some of the people will try to get it for free. The bigger the pool, the greater the number of people. Unfortunately, it is one of those unwinnable wars -- not a single engagement. You can't really even drop out of the war, though, as a vendor. People won't stop coming up with better ways to beat the system just because a vendor stops coming up with ways to block it. You'll just lose more. The best you can do is combat the tricks as best you can as you discover them. Sometimes it's not cost effective, but you just have to keep looking for something that works, knowing all the while that it won't work for everything or forever.

Hmmm. Sounds like I've strayed into :eeyore: territory. :p:

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:28 pm

LeonardKinsey wrote:
LOL, yeah! When I thought more about people trying to scan barcode attached to a cup possibly filled with liquid I realized that wouldn't be such a good idea!
We do that now at both Blizzard Beach and at Typhoon Lagoon, and we allow them to buy just the sticker instead of a new mug. I did get called a non-disney name under a guest's breath for placing the current sticker over the old sticker. I got over it.

Parties of 33 should consider dividing their parties into two groups of 16 and a half each.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 pm

CptnSkippy wrote:I did get called a non-disney name under a guest's breath for placing the current sticker over the old sticker. I got over it.
Marvin the Martian? Foghorn Leghorn? Pepé Le Pew? Taz? Some are okay but I draw the line at Foghorn Leghorn. :mad:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.