Dining Duhs

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Dining Duhs

Post by GaTechGal » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:09 am

Mayonnaise wrote: When I was a kid we'd go in our pajamas, and my parents would put us to sleep in the back after the first movie, and then watch the second movie, which they always put the higher rating movie second. Kids flick first, then something a little harder.

8^)
Both my folks and my DH's folks did that as well. In fact, my DH was convinced that the movie couldn't start until enough kids got to the playground down near the screen and started swinging.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:So we are!!!! Howdy!!!!
Howdy!
GaTechGal wrote:Both my folks and my DH's folks did that as well. In fact, my DH was convinced that the movie couldn't start until enough kids got to the playground down near the screen and started swinging.
Same here. I remember seeing "The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes" that way. :D Couldn't tell you what the second feature was, so the whole jammies thing definetly worked.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:13 pm

WEDFan wrote:Howdy!

Same here. I remember seeing "The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes" that way. :D Couldn't tell you what the second feature was, so the whole jammies thing definetly worked.
I remember doing that. (my grandfather was the manager of both the walk in theatre downtown and the drive in!)

he would park his pickup in front of the consession stand (so it wouldn't block paying customers!) and the kids got to stand in the back and watch the movie, leaning on the cab. worst part was watching rodan or godzilla and realizing you are outside!!

years later, when I was a projectionist, you had to time making out with your girlfriend to 19 minutes, so you could get back in the booth for the changeover!
:D:

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote: years later, when I was a projectionist, you had to time making out with your girlfriend to 19 minutes, so you could get back in the booth for the changeover!
:D:

Ummmmmm,will Mrs. Grumpy verify this? :twisted:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:31 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Ummmmmm,will Mrs. Grumpy verify this? :twisted:
Mrs. Grumpy was many years later!

this was when I was in high school!

:cool:

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Mrs. Grumpy was many years later!

this was when I was in high school!

:cool:
In high school, huh? I don't think you could get a projectionist license in my state until 18. The whole carbon arc thing made people nervous. I didn't get to play with projectors until college. :D:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:54 pm

WEDFan wrote:In high school, huh? I don't think you could get a projectionist license in my state until 18. The whole carbon arc thing made people nervous. I didn't get to play with projectors until college. :D:
I was a projectionist for UA in my 20s. I was afraid of the bulbs that replaced the carbon arc rods. those things were like bombs. you needed a mask and gloves and a apron to change them. my fear of getting mangled by a alpha platter was nothing compaired to those bulbs.

Corey

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:06 pm

drcorey wrote:I was a projectionist for UA in my 20s. I was afraid of the bulbs that replaced the carbon arc rods. those things were like bombs. you needed a mask and gloves and a apron to change them. my fear of getting mangled by a alpha platter was nothing compaired to those bulbs.
As I type this i am sitting between two 3k zenon lamphouses just 4' away, on either side of me. After a while, changing them gets to be less stressful. just follow ALL the safety procedures, wear ALL the safety gear, and be slow and methodical. The risk is much lower when the bulbs are cold.
On the other hand, I have never had the privilege of running a carbon arc lamp. I was about 2 years too late getting into the business. Everyone was putting in the zenon conversions. Running the carbon arc is a lost art form!

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:09 pm

WEDFan wrote:In high school, huh? I don't think you could get a projectionist license in my state until 18. The whole carbon arc thing made people nervous. I didn't get to play with projectors until college. :D:
HA! Someone making out with girls=before age 18.....
Being allowed to play with Projector= FOR ADULTS ONLY :p:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:43 pm

delsdad wrote:As I type this i am sitting between two 3k zenon lamphouses just 4' away, on either side of me. After a while, changing them gets to be less stressful. just follow ALL the safety procedures, wear ALL the safety gear, and be slow and methodical. The risk is much lower when the bulbs are cold.
On the other hand, I have never had the privilege of running a carbon arc lamp. I was about 2 years too late getting into the business. Everyone was putting in the zenon conversions. Running the carbon arc is a lost art form!
yes, the old masters could time the rods to the reel lengths.
got hot enoght to weld weasels together, then make a ash out of them....
i.e. Weasel, POOF!

Corey