practically the worst I've had to deal with.

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
KaiRubix
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

practically the worst I've had to deal with.

Post by KaiRubix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:15 pm

I was a ride operator at the pier in Santa Monica CA and we had a private event. It was a certain community that booked the park for the day.( I don't want to tell what kind of community so to not be racist) I could honestly say that this was the most rowdiest, rude and obnoxious private event I ever had to work on. I started the day off operating the baby airplane ride . and these where only for kids, no adults and there was a father who tried to sit in one of those tiny seats. I informed him that this ride is only for kids. he waved me off and repeatedly saying "Its okay its okay" I kept insisting to him in the most polite way that he cannot ride. He continued to struggle into the seat. I couldn't retailiate any more so I may as well had to wait till he finally realized he couldn't ride. Not to mention the kids. they all were sticking their hands out and the parents weren't helping. they were trying to touch their kids hands. almost every cycle I had to tell the kids to stop that but because of their parents encouraging them it almost seemed useless.

halfway through the day my supervisor came to me and said I had to go up to the roller coaster to replace the operator. when I got up there and got inside the booth my co-worker confessed that he couldn't take this anymore and he was about to burst in front of the guests. So I was up there with the loader and of course things stayed the same. there were so many kids that couldn't ride because of their heights and their parents insisting that its okay for them to go. One had an infant try ride on her LAP and infant probably no younger than a year or two on her lap on the roller coaster! it might not be a big roller coaster but it packs a punch. especially to an INFANT BABY! so of course we had to tell her that she couldn't let the baby ride. She insists that we just let her ride with her baby. of course we didn't let her do that. We held up the line so much because of other rule breaking like this that the people in line began complaining of how slow we are. it really got on my nerves.

at the end of the day all my co-workers and I could do was talk about our harsh time during this private event. one of them told a story about a woman who kept demanding for service and that she had the power to fire us just because her husband payed for all of this.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: practically the worst I've had to deal with.

Post by darph nader » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Jerks will be jerks,doesn't matter what the religion. :(
On behalf of the BDoSGT,Welcome. Have a beverage. :pepsi: :coke: :beer:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

KaiRubix
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by KaiRubix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Indeed they can be. and for the record I am amazed how hospitable this community is. barely my 2nd topic and mostly everyone has welcomed me with the beverage of my choice very glad I joined =D

Cheers to BDoSGT! :rumncoke:

xUnxDeaDx
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by xUnxDeaDx » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:31 am

Ah, I hate when certain groups have private events at the park. Camps and high schools are one thing, but private events are a nightmare. Glad I was off for most of them this season haha.

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 am

Been there done that. AVID Night @ Knott's Berry Farm was a fun one. A bunch of rowdy kids that swarm attractions and will do everything you tell them not to.

Shift Leads suggested that we "speed up" the 8 minute trip and forgo the narration @ Mine Ride to shuttle the rowdy kids thru and hope that they wouldn't come back....Turns out they liked the "sped up" version and would keep re-riding. I came up with the opposite: Lets slow it down.

I hit the 8 minute mark at the bottom of the lift. It was a 15 minute trip with full & detailed narration about mining procedures...suddenly the kids didn't like the ride too much. It took us about two trips for them to stop riding. :p:

Us Miners are thinkers. :cool:

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:46 am

Freak wrote:Been there done that. AVID Night @ Knott's Berry Farm was a fun one. A bunch of rowdy kids that swarm attractions and will do everything you tell them not to.

Shift Leads suggested that we "speed up" the 8 minute trip and forgo the narration @ Mine Ride to shuttle the rowdy kids thru and hope that they wouldn't come back....Turns out they liked the "sped up" version and would keep re-riding. I came up with the opposite: Lets slow it down.

I hit the 8 minute mark at the bottom of the lift. It was a 15 minute trip with full & detailed narration about mining procedures...suddenly the kids didn't like the ride too much. It took us about two trips for them to stop riding. :p:

Us Miners are thinkers. :cool:
Play Barry Manilow Music,too! :twisted: :manilow: :twisted:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Freak wrote: I hit the 8 minute mark at the bottom of the lift. It was a 15 minute trip with full & detailed narration about mining procedures...suddenly the kids didn't like the ride too much. It took us about two trips for them to stop riding. :p:
I assume that this was AFTER Mike Leland had retired, or else he wasn't working that event.... (I still have flashbacks to eight minute tours of the Shack...)

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Probably after his time. By the time I was working there. The 8 minute trip was kinda/sorta more of a guideline than a rule. I ran 8 minute trips (save for a few), but a few miners would run as quick as a 4 minute trip, and that's with stopping in caverns.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:39 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Play Barry Manilow Music,too! :twisted: :manilow: :twisted:
I have an album which is much worse than any Barry Manilow music, and may set a standard for making everyone ill

Lawrence Welk Plays the Great Overtures in Dance Time.

Includes Light Cavalry, William Tell, 1812 Festival, Poet and Peasant.

I got it some time in the late 60's. Try to visualize the "storm" scene from William Tell in waltz time (The Lone Ranger will not ride again).

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm trying to visualize the 1812 Overture with bubbles coming out of the cannons. :D:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.