SCMT or SGT?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

SCMT or SGT?

Post by KingsIslander » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Was I a SG?

When we went to MK, on our way in, I went through the "Guests Without Bags" line, as I had done every other day of the trip with no problem, seeing as I had no bags, just my phone. Nobody had said a word to me the rest of the trip. Going into MK, after walking through, the security CM yelled (yes, yelled) to me, "What's in your pocket?!". I answered back, "My phone." He told me to show him, so I took it out of my pocket and opened it. After staring it at it for quite a while, I was told that I "can't go through this line if I have any bags". I said "Oh, does this count as a bag?" Apparently it does. :confused:

So, was I being an SG, or does a phone actually disqualify me from going through that line? If that's actually the policy, they should really change the wording. If it isn't, he was definitely rude... if it were my first day at the resort and I had just paid that much to go there, I'd be kinda ticked by being talked to like that. But it might just be because I'm a teenager, but still...

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: SCMT or SGT?

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:22 pm

I have been through with stuff in my pockets many, many times. Never been an issue.

Not sure what was going on there. I am sure mapo will be around shortly to spread what light she can.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:05 pm

I'd like to clarify- I have *no* problem being asked what's in my pocket. I do have a problem being told I shouldn't be going through that line when the sign clearly states otherwise, and being treated rudely. I totally understand why they would ask, but there's far more polite ways to do that.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:39 pm

That sounds abnormal. I never have bags at the parks, just very full pockets and have always used the no bags line without question.

Kurt

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 am

Sounds like a SCMT to me. I *might* have returned the oh-so-polite way he called you out and loudly asked "Hey, when did cell phones start counting as bags?"

Guy sounded like a jerk. We have folks like that on the Left Coast too.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:27 am

same here. in fact, I wear cargo shorts and "minimize" what I am carrying, but I still have my travel wallet, cellphone, small camera, creds, etc. in my pockets.

heck one pocket will hold a water bottle.

never had a problem at WDW or DLR.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:54 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I have been through with stuff in my pockets many, many times. Never been an issue.

Not sure what was going on there. I am sure mapo will be around shortly to spread what light she can.
Sorry, no light on this one.

Though I can say that there is a big part of the picture missing on this little story. Everything from WHAT day did this occur? Anything hanging out of your pocket? You are with what group of people when it occurred? etc etc etc

Our Security Cast look for lots and lots of things. And no, you may not know what. Sorry.

BTW, sometimes you can be as nice and pleasant as possible with a guest and they do not respond. They do not 'hear' you. Then you need to be more assertive. Of course, this immediately makes you rude.

Oh, and I do not care how much you paid to get into the park. I do care that every guest is evaluated properly for safety concerns.

I will not apologize for anything I have to do to keep a guest or cast member safe, in spite of their behavior. So when you decide to jump in the moat, I am gonna restrain you. Or (god forbid) you make it into the water, am gonna come in and get you. It may be by the scruff of the neck, however.

Oh and am sure you will think I am rude then too. Then again, I will not be happy that I have to go to Health Services to start evaluation for possible crud I may pick up from that water. :mad:

Beats me what a SCMT is...but it sounds like you appeared to be a SG to that Security CM at that time.

If your pockets are very full or items are not fully in your pocket, I suggest going to the regular line to be screened. Painless and does not take long. Just have the item out and ready for a quick inspection.

Did I tell you the time the man stuffed his wife's purse down his trousers and tried to bypass Security Screening??? Man, I think he is still in jail :D:

mapo

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:44 pm

mapo wrote:Did I tell you the time the man stuffed his wife's purse down his trousers and tried to bypass Security Screening??? Man, I think he is still in jail :D:
mapo
For what? I'm assuming something was in the purse, as trying to bypass a private security screening is not a crime, just a quick way to exit.

Kurt

CA Screamin Dude
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by CA Screamin Dude » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:07 pm

I can't attest to WDW whatsoever, but DLR's screening is quite a joke. Let's just say under controlled circumstances, many prohibited items have gotten through.

SCMT = Stupid Cast Member Trick; in today's Disney, this happens fairly often, yet not close to the volume of SGTs.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:28 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:For what? I'm assuming something was in the purse, as trying to bypass a private security screening is not a crime, just a quick way to exit.
Gotta agree there, unless there is a violation of California or Flordia law, security screening at DLR and WDW is purely a private situation with rules designated by the parks, a private company.

granted, they can ban people from the property, but jail?

I assume that the comment was hyperbole.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?