Meeko pays a visit

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Meeko pays a visit

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:39 am

Regular conures are green, but they are in their own way just as beautiful as the sun conures. There is one at a local flea market, AWESOME personality, loves to be handled, that I want to get. Now, just to come up with the extra $200.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:35 am

ImageImage
And then you have the larger eclectus. Females are red, males are green.
ImageImage
By the way, this is all my wife's fault. She introduced me to the joy of having birds.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:34 am

Big Wallaby wrote: By the way, this is all my wife's fault. She introduced me to the joy of having birds.
Including, no doubt, the dubious "joy" of cage cleaning?

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:44 am

Big Wallaby wrote:Regular conures are green, but they are in their own way just as beautiful as the sun conures. There is one at a local flea market, AWESOME personality, loves to be handled, that I want to get. Now, just to come up with the extra $200.
SOmeone is selling one of these beautiful birds for only 200$ ?? I would expect it to be well over a thousand dollars !

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:00 pm

In today's local paper.

Kia‘i Moku: Release of pet birds poses threat to ecology
March 13, 2011 - By LISSA FOX

"This would be a great place to release Walter," a Michigan visitor said recently to his wife. Their mischievous dusky conure, a small parrot native to the Amazon, likely would find Maui an ideal home. Maui's climate is similar enough to the creature's native habitat that he would be comfortable at night, and with all the plants introduced from South America, he would find plenty of food to eat. Unfortunately, our houseguests were not the first people to consider releasing their pet bird here.

Introduced birds have a tremendous impact on the ecology of Hawaii. They compete with native birds for food and nesting resources. Cavity-nesting seabirds, like the wedge-tailed shearwater, face competition from feral parrots for cliffside nesting sites. Introduced birds bring diseases, to which native birds have no immunity. Avian pox and malaria decimated the population of native birds at lowland elevations. more...

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Anyone who has visited Ocean Beach in San Diego may have seen (and HEARD)the flock/gang of wild Macaws overhead.Lookout for incoming bombs :cool:

One trip to the Candy Cane near Disneyland had a parakeet in the Breakfast Area competing for crumbs....The Fattest Sparrows I've seen live there ;)

I understand that Hawaii attracts critters from all over the world, I've heard snakes can even climb up into plane wheel wells :eek:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:10 pm

My family used to have a conure (I believe she was a Brazilian conure). We had her for many years, before she passed away. She was a great bird :(

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 am

Big Wallaby wrote: By the way, this is all my wife's fault. She introduced me to the joy of having birds.
EPCOT has seagulls...for free. Please pick up a few

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:22 am

DisneyMom wrote:I understand that Hawaii attracts critters from all over the world, I've heard snakes can even climb up into plane wheel wells :eek:
It's not that Hawaii attracts critters, it's people either bring them in to either resolve a human caused problem or smuggle them in.

When ships started coming to the islands they dropped off rats. Somebody got the bright idea that importing mongooses would get rid of the rats. Good plan except the mongooses are out during the day and the rats are nocturnal. The mongooses went after the local birds while the rats continued to breed.

Hawaii is psyco about snakes because of what happened on Guam. Brown Tree Snakes were introduced on Guam and, with no natural predators, wiped out the bird population.

We get snakes on planes stories about once a month. It's always a front page story. Where's Samuel L. Jackson when you need him?

If someone is caught with any reptiles they can figure on a huge fine and maybe some jail time.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:21 am

mapo wrote:EPCOT has seagulls...for free. Please pick up a few
I said birds. Not sky rats.

I have to apologize, as what I just said is an insult to rats everywhere.