This Is Pretty Sad

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

This Is Pretty Sad

Post by hobie16 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:46 pm

From Mouse Planet:

Local 11's new tactic: fear

We reported last week that Unite HERE Local 11, the hotel worker's union that has been in a contract dispute with Disney for nearly three years, had been passing out balloons with anti-Disney messages to visitors approaching the bag check tables on the opening night of ElecTRONica. The union repeated the balloon protest last Friday night, but this time added a new element: As thousands of guests flocked to the Resort Friday night for Mickey's Halloween Party, union representatives dressed as Disney characters stood at the Harbor Boulevard pedestrian entrance and handed out a flyer with the headline "Keep Your Children Close" and the warning "Places like Disneyland are magnets for 'pedophiles' " The flyer is printed in English and Spanish, features an ominous illustration of a hooded figure, and bears the message, "A service from Unite HERE." The bottom half of the flyer lists steps parents should take to keep their children safe, including making sure children know to ask cast members for assistance if they get lost.

On Friday night, I posted a photo of the flyer on Twitter and asked, "Has Local 11 gone too far?" Nearly all respondents said the union had crossed a line, using terms like "creepy and misleading," "completely outrageous," and "way out of line" to describe the union's actions. One reader replied, "I've been sick of that union's stunts for awhile now," and asked, "What can the public do to stop them?" One member asked, "What do they really hope to get accomplished by using these tactics?"

Asked about the flyers, Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown told MousePlanet, "Millions have visited and enjoyed Disneyland Resort over the years," and echoed the sentiments of some of our readers by saying, "Local 11’s leadership has reached a new low with this reprehensible tactic, and they should be ashamed of themselves."

The flyer goes on to state that there are 23 registered sex offenders living in Disneyland's ZIP code. According to the Megan's Law database, there are also 51 registered sex offenders in Knott's Berry Farm's ZIP code, but Unite HERE is seemingly limiting their "service" to patrons of the theme park with whom they are in a protracted contract dispute.

The union also claims that the Anaheim Police were called to the Disneyland Resort 64 times from between 2005 and 2010 to investigate "sex offenses." Sgt. Rick Martinez with the Anaheim Police Department told me that "Local 11 did request and spent months going through public records." He said that the records requested by the union included the three Disneyland Resort hotels, the two theme parks and Downtown Disney district, and constituted "tens of thousands of pages" of reports, many of them redacted to protect victim privacy. Martinez was not able to provide specific information about the 64 incidents cited on the union's flyer, or even confirm the accuracy of that number. Further, he said that "sex offenses" could mean anything from prostitution to indecent exposure, or even consensual sex in a public place like the parking structure. He said that he did not know if any of the calls resulted in an arrest, or if any of the incidents involved registered sex offenders or children under 14.

When we contacted Local 11 spokeswoman Leigh Shelton regarding the veracity of the information on the flyer, as well as to share with her some of the comments we'd received, her official response was, "We don't have any comment."

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

This Is Pretty Sad

Post by hobie16 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Part II

Editorial: It has been suggested that I should not write about this protest, because doing so only gives the union a platform. In covering this contract dispute for the past three years, I've tried to maintain a fairly even tone, apparently so well that some readers have complained that I am too sympathetic to the union. While I have a long-time friend who is a member of this union, and have come to know several other members as this has played out, I am no fan of this union, and this latest tactic is just another example of how out-of-touch and desperate I think its leadership has become. While union leaders and shop stewards plot these elaborate protests and demonstrations, the rank-and-file members are left wondering just why there is still no contract. The union can seemingly afford balloons and flyers, but cannot afford to reinstate the sick pay benefit for its members. Meetings with a federal mediator have seemingly produced no results, and the union just keeps ratcheting up their efforts to shame and discredit Disney, without coming any closer to reaching a contract agreement.

While I certainly understand and sympathize with workers over the potential impact any change to their health insurance plan will have on their families, I find it difficult to continue to be objective about the tactics of Unite HERE Local 11. The union leadership needs to abandon these silly and ineffective protests, and instead return to the work of representing their members. And if the union refuses to do so, I think it's long past time that union members begin the process of decertifying this union, and find more responsible leadership to represent you at the bargaining table.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: This Is Pretty Sad

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm sorry, but for the volumes of People that flock to Disneyland,that is a rather low number of Pedophiles :cool:

Check out your local Megan's Law website to locate some in your OWN neighborhood. Don't forget that your neighbor might have failed to register.

ABSOLUTELY keep your children close. :(

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Great Article But:

1. Do not post the entire article verbatim unless the article is behind a paywall.

2. Please provide link if possible (see above).

3. Please post articles in the proper forum (IE The Newsroom).

Hobie... Come on Man.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:09 pm

CujoSR wrote:Great Article But:

1. Do not post the entire article verbatim unless the article is behind a paywall.

2. Please provide link if possible (see above).

3. Please post articles in the proper forum (IE The Newsroom).

Hobie... Come on Man.
Sorry brah. To me it's one of those stories where someone has decided to cut off their nose to spite their face. If you can turn on edit I'll fix it.

The story can be found here.

--- Matt King

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Wow. I'm very pro-union (I helped to unionize one of my workplaces about ten years ago), but that is just low. There's no excuse for pulling that kind of nonsense.

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Amphigorey wrote:that is just low. There's no excuse for pulling that kind of nonsense.
I agree

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Some folks on Twitter think that hooded figure looks like the Gorton's Fisherman.

JugglingFreak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by JugglingFreak » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 am

Amphigorey wrote:Wow. I'm very pro-union (I helped to unionize one of my workplaces about ten years ago), but that is just low. There's no excuse for pulling that kind of nonsense.
Agreed, no excuse.

And as DisneyMom said. That's a low number considering attendance.

64 over 5 years, that 12 per year. Disneyland has about 13-15 million guest per year.

That's a real low percentage. About 1 per million people. Statistically, you're probably going to have some kind of freak in that number of people.

That flyer is just a pathetic.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:23 pm

what they also fail to mention is that almost all of the RSO's have a condition that the mere going to or near an amuzement park, or playground, is a violations of their terms of release.

not a surefire protection, of course, but a tool that law enforcement can use if they are reported.

but to have them hand that out? I would think that Disney legal would be phoning some lawyers on that one.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?