Man commits suicide by jumping off Disneyland parking structure

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Man commits suicide by jumping off Disneyland parking structure

Post by hobie16 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:19 pm

From the LA Times.

October 18, 2010 | 2:17 pm

A man leapt to his death from one of the upper floors at the main parking structure at Disneyland, an Anaheim police spokesman said Monday.

The man, who was not immediately identified, was found around 8:45 p.m. Sunday at the Mickey & Friends Parking structure on Walnut Street and Magic Way, said Anaheim police spokesman Rick Martinez.

The man, who was believed to be in his 40s or early 50s, jumped from the southwest corner of the structure.

He did not have any identification on him but did leave a suicide note, Martinez said.

-- Andrew Blankstein

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Man commits suicide by jumping off Disneyland parking structure

Post by darph nader » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Just great,this is the wrong kinda attention Disney needs. :(

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:23 pm

Wait...some guy is so depressed or disturbed that he throws himself off the top of a parking structure and kills himself and you are concerned that Disney didn't need that kind of attention.

What does Disney have to do with it other than happening on their property. People sometimes chose places like Disney because it is sure to get a lot of attention. It's a last attempt to be somebody. Too bad they are no longer around to enjoy the fame.

:goofy: :goofy:

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Its kind of shameful that so many people commenting about this on news sites are making light of it. People should not joke about a tragedy.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:02 pm

I can understand depression to the point of suicide, but I can't understand doing it where kids could see the end result. :mad:

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Wow,very sad. Definitely making a statement by location. His Friends and Family will have reminders everywhere. :(

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:34 pm

It's eerie that I was there that same night at the same place, but left later, I probably would of witnessed it. I left the parking structure around 8:30 P.M. *Shudders*

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:Wait...some guy is so depressed or disturbed that he throws himself off the top of a parking structure and kills himself and you are concerned that Disney didn't need that kind of attention.
I know it doesn't come across 'quite right' in typed form,but if it happened anywhere else,it would of not had the same press.

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 am

darph nader wrote:I know it doesn't come across 'quite right' in typed form,but if it happened anywhere else,it would of not had the same press.
That's pretty much what I said...but I don't think it creates any form of "stigma" for Disney. It just happened there and unless Mickey pushed him off the top, there is no other connection to the remainder of the public. In other words, no one is likely to stay away because this fool did himself in choosing such a prominent place.

I know it sounds like I have no concern for the guy, and on many levels I do not. I hate people that commit suicide and have no sympathy for them. My X used to threatened to do herself in and my reaction was always anger...not concern or fear or anxiety, just anger. I can't tell you how many times I heard the "I feel like killing myself" story. It was always met with the same reaction. For those that care...she just turned 70 this past June...still alive and never even attempted it, she just used it to get her way. For those that actually did it...well I guess they were pretty sick and frankly anyone bent on killing themselves will be successful but they will very seldom let you know that is what they intend to do.

:goofy: :goofy:

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:44 am

I'm not sure this was a grand statement meant to ruin Disney for his Family and friends. That assumes malice, which I'm not willing to assume of some poor guy who jumped to his death.

When an alumni from my University returned to campus many years after graduating to end his life by jumping, some people took it as insult against the University, but it was explained by the counselors on hand to deal with that situation, that people often choose places where they once felt safe to end their existence. He came back to school because he remembered it as a place where he was safe, accepted and understood, and people would be sympathetic to his suicide, rather than angry at him over it.

I hardly think it's a stretch to think one might feel safe, accepted, understood at Disney... I mean, that's the magic. Disney makes foks feel like they're special appreciated people. It could be, as sad and unfair a burden on CMs and guest witnesses alike that it would be, that he didn't believe his friends and family would be sympathetic to his pain. He may well have thought it was the only place people would care that he'd died.

8^(