Mistaken guest genders. . .

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Grumpy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Mistaken guest genders. . .

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:11 pm

I was working at Splash photo (the past few nights, actually), and I had a guest that came up to me, wanting to purchase HER (thought it was a HIM) picture. . .

She was an asian woman, had masculine features. She carried herself in THE EXACT same manner as a feminine, homosexual male (ie. .stereotypical flamer {sorry if I offended anyone, I'm not intending to AT ALL}). She then asked if APs get their discount, I asked to see the AP, and she showed it. I thought it belonged to one of the 2 young girls that was with her, as I didn't pay attention to the picture. I granted the discount, and she wanted to pay w/ her bank card. I then asked to see ID. . .she showed it to me, and stupid me ACTUALLY asked:

"Excuse me, is this your wife's?"

She didn't get all pissed off at me or anything, she just calmly said "oh no, it's me. . . "

Talk about a stupid CM. . .I know we all have seen "gender questionable" guests, but to actually SAY something other than "excuse me sir" (to a female), every CM that heard about it, I guess was the highlight of their night.

reivaX
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by reivaX » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:25 am

:lol:

i hate

the little boys with long hair and overalls with girley names like ashley
the infant boys dressed in pastels
little girls with short spikey hair

i called a little boy pricess and he look at his mom and said, "Mom, he called me pricess!"

and began to cry :oops:

cut the boy's hair he looks like a hippie.. :hammer:

:NOTE: I have disney standard long hair too and look like a hippie

FebruaryStar02
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by FebruaryStar02 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:44 am

I did that the other day. It was an African-American kid, 11 or 2, with no real gender specific features, but wearing an oversized pastel pink shirt and the same pink baseball cap to the side. I said "She" like five times before I figured it out...it was a boy. Crap...

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:13 am

FebruaryStar02 wrote:I did that the other day. It was an African-American kid, 11 or 2, with no real gender specific features, but wearing an oversized pastel pink shirt and the same pink baseball cap to the side. I said "She" like five times before I figured it out...it was a boy. Crap...
Well, with names like Lakisha, Tyrill, and URINE 'ur-rine' (I SWEAR!) sometimes it's hard to tell, like Serena and Venus Williams.

Grumpy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Grumpy » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:44 pm

leftcoaster wrote:
Well, with names like Lakisha, Tyrill, and URINE 'ur-rine' (I SWEAR!) sometimes it's hard to tell, like Serena and Venus Williams.
After a while, you can distinguish between male and female names that Africans have.

Lakisha is actually quite feminine, but LaQwon can be questionable at first. Tyrill actually sounds more like a male.

You've acutally seen a name of "Ur-rine?" geez. . if you're going to name your kid that, can you at least spell it different? Maybe more like Eureen or something.

I am not saying Stupidity should be illegal or anything!! But lets just remove the warning labels from hazardous items and let the problem solve itself.Author Unknown

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:04 pm

I actually have a friend who heard a kid being called for at the Matterhorn. Her name was Aquanetta. (very true, I promise)

Grumpy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Grumpy » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:53 am

lady ulrike wrote:I actually have a friend who heard a kid being called for at the Matterhorn. Her name was Aquanetta. (very true, I promise)
Did she look like she was born in the late 80s to early 90s, and her mom happened to use AquaNet like there was no tomorrow?

I am not saying Stupidity should be illegal or anything!! But lets just remove the warning labels from hazardous items and let the problem solve itself.Author Unknown

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:45 am

Grumpy wrote:
leftcoaster wrote:
After a while, you can distinguish between male and female names that Africans have.

Lakisha is actually quite feminine, but LaQwon can be questionable at first. Tyrill actually sounds more like a male.

You've acutally seen a name of "Ur-rine?" geez. . if you're going to name your kid that, can you at least spell it different? Maybe more like Eureen or something.
True, but I don't go around attempting to figure out those kind of names.

Well, I didn't see the name "Urine," I just heard it. But, I can only imagine the spelling. :roll:

You know, there was a study done with names and resumes. Unique names did not fair too well, which goes to show you that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

lady ulrike
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by lady ulrike » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:59 pm

I don't know since I wasn't the one who actually saw the kid, but my guess is that her mom did use a lot of Aqua Net in the '80s (Heck, who in the '80s didn't?)

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:39 pm

lady ulrike wrote:I don't know since I wasn't the one who actually saw the kid, but my guess is that her mom did use a lot of Aqua Net in the '80s (Heck, who in the '80s didn't?)
Are you sure it wasn't Afro-sheen ?