Wow...really?

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
ectomstr
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Wow...really?

Post by ectomstr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:32 am

As a CM (and one who has to currently work backstage) I know a bit about what should and shouldn't be on stage. Just last week, we were at Epcot (family and I) when we noticed a CM from LS (aka Nemo) walking towards the center fountain on her cell phone in costume. Not only that but I noticed two stewards and 2 chefs ambling about or carrying product in plain sight.

I never worked at Epcot but know they don't have the tunnel system like MK, but aren't there backstage areas they can be using? The stewards and the chefs/cooks were in world showcase (the stewards just outside of Mexico, the chefs/cooks in Mexico).

GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Wow...really?

Post by GuestJockey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:27 am

I don't know how it works in Epcot, but it's just as bad on the Left Coast. A few days ago a foods CM literally bumped into me walking through Bugs Land. He might have noticed me if he hadn't been listening to his iPod ON STAGE with a Yankees ball cap on (paired with his Ariel's Grotto costume). :mad:

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Oh dear, perhaps Disney could use me as a consultant to deal with these issues...

*takes out a large bat with the word "Cluebringer" burned into to.*

:cat1:

MyLittleAngels
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by MyLittleAngels » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Wow ... Situations like that but I can't get offered a job? Sigh.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:06 pm

ectomstr wrote:As a CM (and one who has to currently work backstage) I know a bit about what should and shouldn't be on stage. Just last week, we were at Epcot (family and I) when we noticed a CM from LS (aka Nemo) walking towards the center fountain on her cell phone in costume. Not only that but I noticed two stewards and 2 chefs ambling about or carrying product in plain sight.

I never worked at Epcot but know they don't have the tunnel system like MK, but aren't there backstage areas they can be using? The stewards and the chefs/cooks were in world showcase (the stewards just outside of Mexico, the chefs/cooks in Mexico).
For the first example, that CM was wrong. If they were in costume, the phone should not have been out...period. For the second example, they should have had the food (or whatever it was) in brown paper bags (at least, that's how it is at the Studios).

There is a backstage area at Epcot, but it can take a really long time to get around (so at times, it's easier walking around onstage). This is allowed. At AK and the Studios, there is very little backstage space. So you'll see CMs from other locations walking around a lot

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:55 pm

GuestJockey wrote:I don't know how it works in Epcot, but it's just as bad on the Left Coast. A few days ago a foods CM literally bumped into me walking through Bugs Land. He might have noticed me if he hadn't been listening to his iPod ON STAGE with a Yankees ball cap on (paired with his Ariel's Grotto costume). :mad:
Not correct, but DCA is/has tendency to be lax & accept this. DL would never!

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Main Streeter wrote:Not correct, but DCA is/has tendency to be lax & accept this. DL would never!
JMHO, but anybody wearing a Yankee's Cap in DCA is definitely not following theme.......Since he works at Ariel's,maybe an attractive Sebastian or Flounder Cap instead.... :D:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:14 pm

DisneyMom wrote:JMHO, but anybody wearing a Yankee's Cap in DCA is definitely not following theme.......Since he works at Ariel's,maybe an attractive Sebastian or Flounder Cap instead.... :D:
I thought a yankee's cap was the same as a flounder? :rolleyes:

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:01 pm

I was at the pin station at Epcot a few months ago and asked if a certain pin was on sale. The guy said no, and about 10 seconds later pulled out a phone, right there behind the register and started texting.

ttztotdca50
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by ttztotdca50 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:44 pm

At DL, we can carry food throughout the park either in closed lunch boxes or lunch bags, or in styrofoam boxes. We can get in lots of trouble for actually eating/drinking onstage (with the exception of Cast Waters for ODV).

iPods and phones are definite no-nos. I've seen CMs get in heaps of trouble for having their phone out or listening to music. Even the CM who cares least about Disney instinctively knows to put away the music before going onstage, even if just crossing Main Street.

By the way, I've actually heard guests complain about CMs crossing Main Street. We're sorry, but unlike the Magic Kingdom, we don't have Utilidoors; therefore, if we want to the west side, we have to either (a) cross Main Street, or go all the way around (like a 30 minute walk). Sheesh.