Please Don't Touch Me...

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Please Don't Touch Me...

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:50 pm

I don't know what is going on at my ride lately, but I (and my crew) have been touched multiple times by guests in the last few days. I was at panel yesterday and a lady came up and put her hand on my shoulder like we were best buds. I wanted to tell her she was invading my bubble and to please back up, but I held my tongue. Today I was working with no voice. I literally could not manage louder than a whisper (which is fun when you work a water ride). Some lady asked to stay on and I sort of gestured to the line and mouthed, "we have a line." The guy with her comes up and touches me and tells me it was just a joke. I think I just looked at him.

One of my crew members the other day was touched 5 or 6 times while sitting up onthe lift by guests as they were coming over. One even grabbed her hair. I've had my ponytail grabbed on one occasion.

What is with that? Don't people get the idea of personal space anymore? When it's 90 degrees (or even when it's not), I would prefer that you please keep your hands off of me!

Petite and Proud!

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Please Don't Touch Me...

Post by DragonFox98 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:46 am

I can empathize with your point on a lot of levels. (1) being a guest in the parks and having my personal space invaded (and that of my children). Do you know some woman actually came up and touched my toddler - on his face no less! - this last trip. Her excuse: she wanted to see how soft his skin was. Now Quinn doesn't do well with new people; let alone a stranger touching him. It was a long time calming him down, not to mention me....I can honestly say I wanted a piece of her (hey - she touched my kid without my permission), but my wonderful hubby reminded me Disney is not the place to do that! Also, I had lots of people touch my shoulder or lay their hand on my arm when they were asking me a question. I would just politely take a step back and try to pull my appendge away.

(2) being preggers. I cannot count how many times I actually swatted people's hands away. Really?!? Am I a Budda?? "NO, you cannot see if the baby is kicking...I'm not related to you!" (that's my favorite response of all time, I think. And then there was the time one of my kids was actually kicking so hard people were making a fuss in the checkout line - all eyes on me...ugh. It's natural...move on!

Sorry you're having to deal with this Eyeore's Butterfly, maybe it'll stop soon.

Notastupidguest
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Notastupidguest » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:08 pm

Oh dear :( I am very tactile and do tend to touch someone's forearm when I'm speaking to them. But I would never touch some childs face or a baby bump, but I don't know I'm doing it until that person either pulls away or gives me a funny look. Sorry, I don't mean anything at all by it, I'm just a very loving person.

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Notastupidguest wrote:Oh dear :( I am very tactile and do tend to touch someone's forearm when I'm speaking to them. But I would never touch some childs face or a baby bump, but I don't know I'm doing it until that person either pulls away or gives me a funny look. Sorry, I don't mean anything at all by it, I'm just a very loving person.
I also tend to touch someone's arm when I talk to them....although, I do try to curb the urge if I don't know the person. I tend to "speak with my hands" and gesture a lot (half of what I "say" is in sign language anyway), so touching someone's arm when I'm trying to emphasize something kinda goes along with the territory...(at least, in my own, warped mind).

tlbwriter
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by tlbwriter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:06 am

Notastupidguest wrote:Oh dear :( I am very tactile and do tend to touch someone's forearm when I'm speaking to them. But I would never touch some childs face or a baby bump, but I don't know I'm doing it until that person either pulls away or gives me a funny look. Sorry, I don't mean anything at all by it, I'm just a very loving person.
But if the person on the other end doesn't know you, it doesn't feel very loving at all. Especially if they are, like a CM, in the position of not being able to stop you for fear of being reprimanded. If you don't have an existing relationship with someone, please don't feel it's appropriate to touch them in order to be "loving." Show your love by respecting their personal space.

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:14 pm

On my cart in Frontierland, I park the beverage cart off on a slant. This stops the annoying gusts from wedging them selves next to me. I am behind the counter with my register. My managers have put a napkin dispencer on the side so the SG would not get back there. My space is mine, you SG can not get into my invisable square! Stay away from my regester drawer! Stay away or I will call security! :eek:

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:03 pm

I've been lucky. I haven't had guests touch me yet (and hopefully it will stay that way).

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Must Show Self Control :o:
I touch people's arms/hands more than I should, but you should probably only worry when I wear gloves........ ;)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 pm

I never had guests touch me inappropriately, but back when I was in Merchandise, another CM came up behind me and yanked on my (very long) hair, hard. He thought he was being so very funny and charming, and he just grinned at me when I turned around and gave him a WTF look. I was too shocked that someone would think this was a friendly thing to do, so I just turned on my heel and walked away. This wasn't even someone I knew - this was a total stranger who also happened to be a CM.

If I'd been older and a little more clueful I would have first told him off and then told a supervisor, because that is totally inappropriate behavior. Seriously, who pulls someone's hair?? What are you, five?

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:44 am

Amphigorey wrote:I never had guests touch me inappropriately, but back when I was in Merchandise, another CM came up behind me and yanked on my (very long) hair, hard. He thought he was being so very funny and charming, and he just grinned at me when I turned around and gave him a WTF look. I was too shocked that someone would think this was a friendly thing to do, so I just turned on my heel and walked away. This wasn't even someone I knew - this was a total stranger who also happened to be a CM.

If I'd been older and a little more clueful I would have first told him off and then told a supervisor, because that is totally inappropriate behavior. Seriously, who pulls someone's hair?? What are you, five?
That reminds me of when I was in Jr. High. I rode the bus and had a short ponytail back then. One of my regular bullies decided it would be funny to pull my tail on the bus ride to school. When he did I wheeled around and clocked him. No one ever pulled my tail again.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."