Go Soak Your Head!

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Go Soak Your Head!

Post by Zazu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Almost bought the farm today. As I finished with a guest, a manager asked me to step backstage with him NOW! Not his usual approach.

"I am surprised, no, shocked, to hear you speak to a guest like that! We *never* insult a guest, there is just *no* excuse for that. I would think that a cast member with your experience and your skills would know better. I'm... I'm... I'm just beyond words!"

"Sorry, but just what insult do you think I offered?"

"That last guest! I overheard what you said to him as he left! It was inexcusable!"

"Ah, so you only heard my last remark?"

"That was all I *needed* to hear! You told him, 'Go Soak Your Head!' How on earth is that good guest service?"

"Permit me to put that remark in context..."

"There is no context that could possibly justify insulting a guest!"

"I think perhaps there is. I noticed that his kids were a bit hyper, pushing each other and giggling. Parents were all smiles, so they were in a good mood too. I thought that 'Go Soak Your Head' was the perfect line to send them off with. You see, I had just sold the family a set of tickets for Typhoon Lagoon."

"Uh... what?"

"Typhoon Lagoon? The water park? Soak their heads? Get it?"

"But... yes, but still...."

"What was the demeanor of the guests as they walked away from me?"

"I... I didn't see. I just heard you."

"If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed them laughing about it. Remember our conversation last week when I said my minimum was to have guests leave my desk smiling, and my goal was to have them leave laughing? You said that was a worthy goal last week. Is it still?"

"Oh. Well. I suppose.... Let me think about this, okay?"

"Take all the time you need, sir. May I get back to making my guests laugh now?"

"Yes. Yes, I think that would be good."

Gotta love knee-jerk reactions. At least he listened.

Zazu

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Go Soak Your Head!

Post by darph nader » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:25 pm

Was this 'person' hired into management,or did he work his way up the ladder? :mad:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:57 am

Awesome Zazu! I frequently use puns to break the ice with guests and they usually work. Another example of a clueless manager. :D:

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 am

:bow: :bow: :bow: :zazu:

Obviously someone who hasn't yet learned that our Zazu is Always Right.

Z, I know it would have been pushing it, but how sweet would it have been to toss a cheery "Now go soak your head" to your manager as you left? :p: :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 pm

and this is why you're my hero!

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Well, I'm going to give Zazu's manager some credit. After all, he did only hear that last comment, and probably was thinking "Oh, lord, it finally happened. After working so hard, Zazu has finally snapped...." :)

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:18 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:Well, I'm going to give Zazu's manager some credit. After all, he did only hear that last comment, and probably was thinking "Oh, lord, it finally happened. After working so hard, Zazu has finally snapped...." :)
I do give him credit. His was the correct response to hearing what he heard. He's relatively new, so doesn't know me that well (yet), and I was only a little disappointed he didn't give me a chance to explain first -- this time.

But I had to open the door to leave the office after our chat -- he didn't -- so all is well.

Zazu