I have officially heard it all

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: I have officially heard it all

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:56 pm

I understand using the same software on both coasts but not the same servers. WDW and DLR should have their own servers for both CDS and MATRA, that way if one resort goes down it doesn't take everybody down. That also keeps everything on the local networks so which would be faster, more secure and stable than having it go across the country over the Internet (or however they are connected together).

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Shorty82 wrote:I understand using the same software on both coasts but not the same servers. WDW and DLR should have their own servers for both CDS and MATRA, that way if one resort goes down it doesn't take everybody down. That also keeps everything on the local networks so which would be faster, more secure and stable than having it go across the country over the Internet (or however they are connected together).
They may also have it all housed in a central location that is not at either park, but sitting in a data center. The availability of high speed connections, plus VPN's would allow speed and security without having to duplicate hardware and personnel. My guess would be similar to Hobie's, but my guess would be a DB that is getting hammered. All speculation on my part based on real world experience :)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Remember the DB is just software. It's the hardware that is the limiting factor.

There's probably a priority set for WDW close transactions. The DL terminals aren't really down. They're just running reaaaaaallllyyyyy slooooooooooooowww.

Easy fix but could be costly. New server with more performance. With not knowing what's being used it could either be a large Sum machine or possibly a IBM S/390 class system.

The other option would be to buffer the cpu with caching devices that would offload processor hits. Fairly cheap option.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm

hobie16 wrote:If MARTA is a global system then the problem is probably a processor(s) that is too slow for peak demand. If the system fails at DL after WDW closes then it appears system resources are being allocated to WDW to close out.
MARTA does tend to be slow and suck, but at least it doesn't crash like MATRA does.
(Atlanta people will understand my comment)

Kurt

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:MARTA does tend to be slow and suck, but at least it doesn't crash like MATRA does.
(Atlanta people will understand my comment)
Oops. All my comments refer to MATRA. I'd have to get my father-in-law to comment on mass transportation systems.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm

hobie16 wrote:Remember the DB is just software. It's the hardware that is the limiting factor.
Oh, I've seen some poorly designed DB's that WERE the limiting factor...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Last Friday was bad enough. Cranky CM'S and registers were unable to read credit cards. The next day it was better. Stand alone sucks and the registers freeze with that problem. Yesterday was bad in QSR Frontierland. :mad: :eek:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:48 pm

ktulu wrote:Oh, I've seen some poorly designed DB's that WERE the limiting factor...
Very true, but the reported problem crops up when WDW is closing their books for the day. That's a pretty good indication that either they have priority over DL or the CPU is getting hammered. The data center logs will tell the tale.

--- Matt King

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:09 am

My guess would be that WDW does have that priority, since it is the largest property with the most terminals.

I am fairly sure that if I was to check my CDS from DL I would be able to. There are different login screens for the different parks within the WDW property, but they all go to the information. In fact, there have been days where the MK site didn't work, so they sent us through the Epcot sign in. I would imagine that DL, DLP, DLHK, TD, etc. are all the same way, just different sub locations of the same system. Kinda like if you go to check your e-mail, you have the option of where in the country (or world) you are.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:41 am

Big Wallaby wrote:My guess would be that WDW does have that priority, since it is the largest property with the most terminals.

I am fairly sure that if I was to check my CDS from DL I would be able to. There are different login screens for the different parks within the WDW property, but they all go to the information. In fact, there have been days where the MK site didn't work, so they sent us through the Epcot sign in. I would imagine that DL, DLP, DLHK, TD, etc. are all the same way, just different sub locations of the same system. Kinda like if you go to check your e-mail, you have the option of where in the country (or world) you are.
You wouldn't be able to. Same system, different servers.

We had an SCMT in my area where someone decided as a "prank" to switch the CDS computers to DLR's server as opposed to WDW's. No one could figure out why CDS was showing people as having no shift and not letting people clock in, not to mention refusing to display schedules (that CDS option is disabled at DLR). It was only figured it out when someone noticed that the clock in CDS was running three hours behind.

As I understand it, a similar principle applies to a bunch of systems, including the registers. And of course, the Parks and Resorts outside the United States have their own systems which are completely separate from those used at DLR/WDW, so they're not even an issue.